Wilson to Attend Texas Rangers Spring Training

The Yugoslavian

Reaction score
I'm actually down in Arizona for the next few months and intend on going to watch Russ play spring ball with my dad. Should be interesting...I'll try to post pictures

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Building his brand. Good for him. Shame on the Ms for not having the foresight to do something like this.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3oj4v7qr said:
Building his brand. Good for him. Shame on the Ms for not having the foresight to do something like this.
Are you shocked? This IS the Mariners we are talking about it.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
I live very close to Rangers Spring Training and contemplated going, but I doubt there'd be much chance for fans to see him.

KINGGRUMPY

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":29qf7gr7 said:
DavidSeven":29qf7gr7 said:
Are you shocked? This IS the Mariners we are talking about it.

Hey now, they DID resign Willie Bloomquist! Give them a break!

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1zvca497 said:

I think it would have looked pretty pathetic and desperate if the Ms did it.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2dh3594o said:
DavidSeven":2dh3594o said:

I think it would have looked pretty pathetic and desperate if the Ms did it.

There's a way for them to look more pathetic and desperate?

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
I seriously doubt he plays any spring ball. From what one can gather in the media, sounds like more to be motivational. Just doesn't make sense for him to risk getting hurt playing something that didn't work out for him before. He's got a hefty contract to be had. He couldn't be in a much better position as an NFL QB to jeopardize any of that. Too, he goes on and on about how he much preferred to play football anyway. Can't imagine that PC/JS and others wouldn't be advising him against doing any more than showing up and giving a few pep talks. He's got championship off-season workouts coming up to organize. Russell also needs some time off.

KINGGRUMPY

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2hyq19ao said:
Is there any money in this for him?
Very minimal. I doubt a spring training invitee makes much. Now, if he charged for motivational speeches to the rangers he may be able to make some cash

brimsalabim

Reaction score
effrey Penman · Top Commenter · Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi
Man the Rangers have the best QB in the state of Texas
Reply · 241 · · 14 hours ago
I like this from the comments. One of the video's linked claims the Rangers just want him to talk to the rooks about what it takes to be a pro and also to pose for a Ranger Tops card.

of course it would not surprise me to learn that Russell has used the opportunity to wrangle a meeting with the former POTUS to discuss a political future...

CornerHawk

Reaction score
I would think he'll throw some, warm up, maybe some batting practice. They said they drafted him for leadership and motivation which was brilliant. Doubt he'll play in a live game.

chrispy

Reaction score
I'm assuming he'll be assigned a jersey number, right? He'd have to have an official number if there's going to be a card. Will it be available for sale? He'd make his cut off merchandise sales, right? ... and some off of card sales too, right? I guess I don't know how this works with MLB. Does anyone else know?

I wonder if there's a way that the public can track merchandise sales by state. It would be interesting to know, once the state of TX gets to know RW, if his #3 jersey sales go up in TX and how that affects Cowboys' merchandise sales. Is it fair to expect Cowboy #9 sales to hit an all-time low?????

At this point, I'd think he's earning more off of merchandise than he is from salary (I seem to remember they get 60% from net revenue but don't have a source except my memory). Then pile endorsements on top. This seems like a smart move: maximize exposure in other regions, open up another revenue stream (MLB), increase demand for him as a celebrity speaker.... I'm sure he's looking at it as a learning opportunity too- How do the Rangers prepare, collect data, scout opponents... It's also not too big a stretch that someday he may be a coach, a TV analyst.

... and as previously suggested, it's a lot easier to get to 270 electoral votes with Texas' 38.