2013 and beyond . . . who are the game changers?

McGruff

Reaction score
Brock and Danny, following a conversation with Kurt Warner, talked about game changers getting the big contracts. The question was then asked . . . who are the Seahawk's game changers from this past year, and do any of our free agents fit that description enough to warrant a big contract?

Here's my list of guys under contract who IMO qualify . . .

Russell Wilson
Percy Harvin
Marshawn Lynch
Earl Thomas
Richard Sherman
Kam Chancellor

Tempted to put Avril on the list, but not sure . . .

Of our free agents, only one was IMO a true game changer, and that was Michael Bennett.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Doug Baldwin had some game-changing plays against SF and Denver. I would put him in that category.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
McGruff":298fnblz said:
Brock and Danny, following a conversation with Kurt Warner, talked about game changers getting the big contracts. The question was then asked . . . who are the Seahawk's game changers from this past year, and do any of our free agents fit that description enough to warrant a big contract?

Russell Wilson
Percy Harvin
Marshawn Lynch
Earl Thomas
Richard Sherman
Kam Chancellor

IMO, this is the entirety of the list and to add anyone else would dilute the term and render it meaningless. Wilson is a franchise QB. The others you could plausibly argue are at least Top-3 in the NFL at their position.

drrew

Reaction score
WilsonLegend":2t8y5aem said:
How can you not have Tate as a game changer?

Exactly. I just do not understand the complete dismissal of Golden Tate.

On the offensive side of the ball, he won the first St Louis game by himself.

Without him on the roster, that game is lost, NFCW is lost, #1 seed is lost, home field advantage is lost.

Golden Tate may not be as consistent as some may like, but he's the epitome of a game changer.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Do you consider Golden Tate to be a top-5 outside receiver? Top 10? Top 30? Let's say he's a fringe WR1 ranked in the low 20s (friendly ranking). How can you call him a "game changer" when literally 90% of NFL teams have someone who is just as good or better at WR1?

I love Golden, and I hope there's a way to re-sign him, but I think the term "game-changer" needs to be reserved for a different level of player. FWIW, Crabtree isn't a "game changer" either (but far from mediocre!).

The Yugoslavian

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3hguu960 said:
McGruff":3hguu960 said:

Russell Wilson
Percy Harvin
Marshawn Lynch
Earl Thomas
Richard Sherman
Kam Chancellor

IMO, this is the entirety of the list and to add anyone else would dilute the term and render it meaningless. Wilson is a franchise QB. The others you could plausibly argue are at least Top-3 in the NFL at their position.

Word for word what I was thinking. Well said David.

drrew

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1vh44p0l said:
Do you consider Golden Tate to be a top-5 outside receiver? Top 10? Top 30? Let's say he's a fringe WR1 ranked in the low 20s (friendly ranking). How can you call him a "game changer" when literally 90% of NFL teams have someone who is just as good or better at WR1?

I love Golden, and I hope there's a way to re-sign him, but I think the term "game-changer" needs to be reserved for a different level of player. FWIW, Crabtree isn't a "game changer" either (but far from mediocre!).

Well, he's not a WR1, and he's not being paid like a WR1. He's an elite WR2, and an elite PR.

I will scoff at the suggestion that 90% of NFL teams have a WR better than Golden Tate. The same Golden Tate who has led all WR's in broken tackles the last two seasons. The same Golden Tate who was top 10 in YAC for WR last season. The same Golden Tate who had a dropped pass percentage in the top 5 of all NFL WR last season. 90%? Check your numbers.

Game changer doesn't mean best. Dante Hall at his peak was a game changer. Leon Washington was a game changer. Hell, lets keep it Seahawks specific. Joe Jurevicius in 2005 was a game changer at times. Daryl Turner had 35 receptions in 1984, 34 in 1985, but he was a game changer when sprinting up that sideline.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
By that definition, Russell Okung is definitely a game changer. He's a Top 5 OT. Even while hurt this year, he still had some game-changing blocks that opened up huge holes for Lynch.

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
Jermaine Kearse made som3 game changing pkays, but he's not a game changer. tate is on the bubble in his area, as I do suspect hat in a different offense his production would warrant the label