Seahawks releasing Rice, per Schefter

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Adam Schefter
Seahawks are releasing WR Sidney Rice, per league source. Rice signed a five-year, $41 million contract in July 2011.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
No surprise. With the injury, middling production and big cap number, they don't have a lot of options. I would have loved to see what he would have done when healthy with Harvin and Wilson. Good luck, Sid.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
If he comes back cheap (an there is a glut of good WRs on the market this year and in the draft), it would be great. If not, happy trails Sidney.

roiyair

Reaction score
Expected...
I like him as a player, I would go as far as saying he's probably our second best receiver when healthy and 100%, but since this never happens this was a no brainer.

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
No surprise, but dam I hate these decisions. Maybe he will return on a low contract if he doesn't get picked up.

Felt like we're saying goodbye to a family member. My fondest memory of Sidney is his TD catches vs Patriots and Bears in 2012.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Crizilla":29odd9dj said:
Chicago game. Nevar 4get.

Too late, JS forgot.

I wish Sydney the best, but this was a no brainer the minute he went down mid season.

James in PA

Reaction score
Thank you for your service Sidney. Glad you got a ring. Good luck down the road but don't you dare sign with SF, SL, or Zona.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
He is going to be a great affordable veteran signing for some team.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Bob Condotta ‏@bcondotta 6m
Per the Sidney Rice report, the Seahawks say they have not yet made any decisions and have not officially released anyone. ...

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
Frees up much needed cap room to be allocated elsewhere. We need to save all the money we can to keep our core together for as long as possible. As cutthroat as it may be, Sidney was not part of the core or a major factor in our Superb Owl run. Success in the NFL is not perpetuated by paying players based on past performance. Best of luck to him elsewhere.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Bprez3":35spcxfb said:
What was his cap hit going to be for 2014?

9.7 million cap number. 2.4 million in dead money. So if true, this saves an estimated 7.3 Million.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1rs9yqh4 said:
Bob Condotta ‏@bcondotta 6m
Per the Sidney Rice report, the Seahawks say they have not yet made any decisions and have not officially released anyone. ...

Yay journalism!

Seriously, can we at least give the front office a chance to get through the Combine before we start celebrating roster cuts? Sid could renegotiate for all we know.