Russell Wilson's Greatest Strength?

Russell4Prez

Reaction score
Long time listener, first time caller...

I'm curious what you all think is Russell Wilson's greatest strength? His size *should* be more of an issue than it has been. There are clear physical disadvantages to being 5'10", but obviously, he is able to compensate for his lack of height in other ways. Clearly, his mobility is one of his assets that compensates. His leadership, work ethic, preparation are all keys to his success, but here's what I think really separates him from his peers.

Situational awareness.

Dude always does the right thing at the right time, and that's not an accident. He's "clutch", but that's only part of it. You can see it in everything he does, on and off the field. In fact, I think this was one aspect that he outplayed the great Payton Manning in the Super Bowl. Manning had the better numbers, but Russell played to the situation much better than Manning, IMO.

There are so many examples I can think of but let me give you a few to illustrate what I mean. To contrast Wilson's situational awareness with Colin Kaepernick's all you have to do is look at the NFC championship. Both QB's decide to take a shot at the end zone in that game. The one time Kap takes a shot against Sherman is late in the game, at a time where a mistake would literally cost the game. Horrible situational awareness. Any other time in the game, there are opportunities to overcome that mistake. 4th and 15, 10 seconds left in the game. OK, you take that shot. Wilson's shot at the end zone came on an encroachment call, where there is zero risk. Zero risk, high reward.

Another example that really jumped out at me was only seen on the the Special FX video. Near the end of the first half, less than a minute on the clock, every Seahawk fan is wondering, do we try to score one more time before they head to the locker room? Wilson as I recall seemed to be hoping they would try to score. PC decides not to take a chance and head to the locker room. He communicates the decision to RW and you can see his body language and everything about him lock into the situation, and then make sure everyone else locks in with him. His quote was something like, "Guy's we need prepare ourselves to have big second half. Get your minds ready for that.". That's RW not only understanding the situation, but he also understood how important it was that the entire team lock into the situation with him.

The best example, though, is the way he handled the entire season. He understand that he's in a situation where the defense is so dominant that the role of the offense is to control the ball, don't take unnecessary risks and score 2-3 TD's per game. Early in the season I found myself getting frustrated with Russell, asking him to let loose a little bit. Don't be so conservative. Finally I started to realize that he's playing to the situation. He'll take a risk when the situation calls for it, but that's not when you have a lead, and that's not early when your behind. Could he throw more? Could he run more? Could he take more chances? Yes, we all know he could because we've seen it....when the situation calls for it.

Anyway, so many more examples I'd like to cite, but I want to get everyone's thoughts on this. Do you agree with me? Is there something else that you think stands out above this in terms of Russell's makeup as a player? Maybe you have other examples of this that jump out at you, too?

Sorry for the long first post, but it's something that I've been giving a lot of thought, and not something I've seen discussed.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Besides his incredible work-ethic, talent and preparation of course, to me it is his visualization. He sees success before it happens. His mind focus is incredible. He visualizes the success he seeks and he manifests it into reality. Mystics have preached this for centuries and he's living proof of the power of the mind in shaping your reality. That may be much more of an esoteric response than you were looking for but it is the truth.

chris98251

Reaction score
IT factor along with what was said above, his team believes in him and give it up, he won't talk the talk and not walk the walk, the rest of his team knows this and feel he is one of them not above them.

kearly

Reaction score
Feel for the game. Just knowing what to do with the football. Also something else that is a part of that, a thing Bill Walsh called "spontaneous genius." Making things happen even when a play seems impossible.

RussJames

Reaction score
His muscles. He wouldn't be anywhere without those things.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
He just has that IT factor exactly like Joe Montana he practices what he preaches so quite simply his team has utter faith in him to put them in a position to make a play regardless of the situation.

chris98251

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3mwvhfni said:
He just has that IT factor exactly like Joe Montana he practices what he preaches so quite simply his team has utter faith in him to put them in a position to make a play regardless of the situation.

Hey Hey KC girl, don't be grabbing my material :)

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
RussJames":ijnqlb5k said:
His muscles. He wouldn't be anywhere without those things.

Whoa, whoa, WHOA now!!! He would suck if he was blind. :thirishdrinkers:

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
chris98251":32eu0cj4 said:
MizzouHawkGal":32eu0cj4 said:

'IT' is sorta the sum of his abilities, so if I'm forced to chose one it would have to be mental toughness. There is no giving up in that kid.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
chris98251":3a356hem said:
MizzouHawkGal":3a356hem said:

Sorry. :oops:

-The Glove-

Reaction score
His best assets are his mind and his heart. I won't lie, when he first started, I was worried when he struggled early. But I never gave up on him because not once have I ever been worried when we were down. I dont know why that is, but from the first Az game, I had complete faith in his ability to lead the team back and that can not be taught

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Just thought that many here would enjoy reading the following excerpt from an ESPN article after Russell lead the Seahawks to a 44-14 preseason victory over the Chiefs in Kansas City in Russell's rookie season. After his performance that night many of us here just KNEW that Russell was the one.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- It's going to take a lot more than one dazzling performance against the Kansas City Chiefs' first-team defense to surprise Seattle Seahawks rookie quarterback Russell Wilson.

Perhaps getting the starting job on a full-time basis would do the trick.

Wilson certainly staked his claim Friday night, throwing for 185 yards and two touchdowns in a 44-14 rout. The third-round draft pick also scrambled for 58 yards while leading the Seahawks to scores on their first six possessions, and he had effectively put the game away by halftime.

"I don't surprise myself, I think because I prepare in the right way," Wilson said. "I try to visualize myself being very, very successful, and just positive self-talk, I guess."

The 5-foot-11 Wilson has been competing for the No. 1 job with Matt Flynn, the former Green Bay backup who signed in the off-season. Flynn missed the game with a sore elbow, giving Wilson a chance to shine after two impressive performances against Tennessee and Denver.

"He's done everything we've asked of him," Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said. "This is the guy we hoped he would be. All of the talk about how tall he is and all that stuff, I don't see it being a factor. I don't see it, and I have watched more carefully than anybody could ever have watched, and I don't see it being an issue. It isn't to me."

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
For me, his biggest strength is his complete commitment to excellence. I know his saying 'the separation is in the preparation' is kinda corny, but it really summarizes everything he stands for and actually practices on a daily basis. This commitment his elevated his teammates to have a similar approach, imho.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
I have found that his mental make up is what it is all about.

I was an emergency responder/Hazmat Tech for many years and that taught me one thing about people, there are those who when the proverbial crap hits the fan rise up and then there are those who wilt. A huge part of rising is being prepared mentally,emotionally and intellectually to understand a situation through the haze of chaos. The ability to analyze what went right and wrong in those situation make you stronger for the next one.

At least that is what my take on it is. RW seems to have that ability in spades

Sac

Reaction score
His height truly is his only limitation physically, and I'm not even sure it's that big of a deal. His long arms and high release point on his throws keep batted passes to a minimum. He's got HUGE hands and excellent mobility.

But his greatest strength? The will power to succeed and prepare like no other.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
He can rollout just like Montana and lose nothing on throwing while doing it,what makes this even better is that he can do it from either side..