RW vs Kaep

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
With the combine going on right now and providing my football fix, I heard some comments about Manziels 40 time being compared to Kaep. It got me to wondering about RW's combine numbers. Johnny football had a 40 time today of 4.56. When people compare RW with Kaep, the guy from SF often has his intangibles as an athlete mentioned. RW is 6 inches shorter, yet has the same 40 time, has bigger hands, has a higher vertical leap and longer broad jump. RW has a 1 1/2 inch higher vertical jump while being 6 inches shorter! If his intelligence and leadership abilities weren't enough, this just cements his status as the complete QB. Too short?!?! Whatever!

Russell Wilson 2012 Combine Results

Height: 71 inches
Weight: 204 pounds
Arm Length: (N/A) inches
Hand Size: 10.25 inches

40 Yard Dash: 4.53 seconds
20 Yard Dash: 2.63 seconds
10 Yard Dash: 1.55 seconds
Bench Press: (N/A) reps (225 lb)
Wonderlic: 28 (0-50)
Vertical Leap: 34.0 inches
Broad Jump: 118 inches
20 Yd Shuttle: 4.09 seconds
Three Cone: 6.97 seconds

Colin Kaepernick 2011 Combine Results

Height: 77 inches
Weight: 233 pounds
Arm Length: 33.50 inches
Hand Size: 9.13 inches

40 Yard Dash: 4.53 seconds
20 Yard Dash: 2.63 seconds
10 Yard Dash: 1.62 seconds
Bench Press: (N/A) reps (225 lb)
Wonderlic: (N/A) (0-50)
Vertical Leap: 32.5 inches
Broad Jump: 115 inches
20 Yd Shuttle: 4.18 seconds
Three Cone: 6.85 seconds

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I thought Kaepernick kind of regressed in 2013. They seemed to reign him in a little too much because they didn't want him to get hurt taking off from outside the pocket. His decision making also wasn't stellar.

If it's 4th and 7 in the Fourth Quarter, who do you want at QB: Kaepernick or Wilson? I don't think there's any question. Kaepernick is a good QB with unique athleticism for his size, but he's not someone I would trust to make the correct decision in a do-or-die situation. We saw what happened to the 49ers in that situation in the Super Bowl; Kaepernick overthrew Cabtree. Game over. Niners Lose. And we saw what happened for the Seahawks on 4th and 7 in the NFC Championship game. Clutch.

But the comparisons between them will continue. If the Niners extend Kaepernick this year, that will be the barometer for Wilson's next contract.

JMR

Reaction score
Manziel's official 40 time was 4.68 according to NFL.com.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
I would think the 10 yard dash would be more important for a QB than his 40.

TruHammer07

Reaction score
Correct me if im wrong but I don't think height has any bearing on your vertical jump test. I assumed its a measurement subtracting your reach from the little plastic bars swiped.

TJH

Reaction score
TruHammer07":3rh2p04t said:
Correct me if im wrong but I don't think height has any bearing on your vertical jump test. I assumed its a measurement subtracting your reach from the little plastic bars swiped.

This is correct.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Kap's speed shows up when he reaches the second level, as evidenced by how he gashed the Hawks. While mobile in the backfield, he's not exceptionally elusive and can be corralled easier than Russell "Houdini" Wilson.

Exittium

Reaction score
lobohawk":2954wop9 said:
Kap's speed shows up when he reaches the second level, as evidenced by how he gashed the Hawks. While mobile in the backfield, he's not exceptionally elusive and can be corralled easier than Russell "Houdini" Wilson.

To bad Kam didnt hit him harder and played nice.

sc85sis

Reaction score
His stride makes him look slower than he is. Vince Young was the same way. It just didn't look like he was running all that fast, until he went right past you.

Coxal

Reaction score
Kaep posted a nice 37 on Wonderclick (source ESPN NFC West Blog few weeks ago)

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Coxal":1en54mkz said:
If "captain one read" did that good, the test is either severely flawed and or he cheated on the test.

Anthony!

Reaction score
The wonderlic has had it moments but has been wrong as much as its been right.

themunn

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1a0zqlim said:
Coxal":1a0zqlim said:
If "captain one read" did that good, the test is either severely flawed and or he cheated on the test.

We know it's severely flawed as Ryan Fitzpatrick got a 48...

Anyway, the splits for the 40 times already tell us what we need to know - Wilson is quicker over 10 yards which gives him that escapability we all know and love, by the time it reaches 40, Kaepernick has caught up... which means his top-end speed is higher. In pads you reach that quite a bit quicker (because your top end speed is slower), so it's more like Wilson has that escape burst over 5 yards - enough to miss a defender - but once they break free, Kaepernick is a lot harder to stop.

Manziel is worse than both QBs in every respect though IMO

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1s8fgpkc said:
I would think the 10 yard dash would be more important for a QB than his 40.
Correct and notice Wilson is better as if it wasn't obvious before by watching actual NFL games among both. Kap has better top end speed.

253hawk

Reaction score
lobohawk":196io62z said:

The only time he's able to run like that is when he's got 2 or 3 WR's plus a TE going deep, stretching the LB's and secondary 25+ yards down field and creating a huge vacuum in the middle for him to prance around in.

Sports Hernia":196io62z said:
Coxal":196io62z said:

The Wonderlic has quite a few multiple choice questions, but it's also scored on time (number answered before it expires.) Someone taking their time for accuracy on all of their answers and getting them right might not get to all of the questions, while someone blazing through and getting them all might miss a couple of the problem-solving ones, coming out no worse for the penalty of error. I've no doubt that a perfectionist like Wilson double checked every answer and didn't get to all of the Q's in time. Brees and Manning also scored a 28, so whatever.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Peyton Manning, Drew Brees and Russell Wilson got the same Wonderlic score. All noted as perfectionists, which can hurt you on a timed test (as said by 253hawk above).

Notable Wonderlic heroes include Ryan Fitzpatrick (48) and Blaine Gabbert (42).

CornerHawk

Reaction score
themunn":39s6d9i7 said:
Sports Hernia":39s6d9i7 said:
Coxal":39s6d9i7 said:

We know it's severely flawed as Ryan Fitzpatrick got a 48...

How so? It's not a qb centric test. Like any test it is not perfect but it's not surprising a Harvard guy tested well. It's probably more of an issue for teams when a guy bombs it.

Latest posts