Projections for this year's offensive line

hawknation2014

Reaction score
LT- Russell Okung
LG- Alvin Bailey
C- Max Unger
RG- J.R. Sweezy
RT- Michael Bowie

How would you rate this projected offensive line? Can the two second year players succeed as full-time staters? Will the pass protection improve with Bailey at LG? Is Bowie a legitimate OT?

OL seems like a priority in this draft.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Why Sweezy? Why are we sticking with player on the O line just because, kick everyone and get better.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Way to early...need to wait until after FA and the draft. but me thinks it's not going to be much different than the Super Bowl winning OL.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":24wnzdg2 said:
Why Sweezy? Why are we sticking with player on the O line just because, kick everyone and get better.

Sweezy improved a lot as a pass blocker in his second year. He was reliable, taking 983 snaps (181 more snaps than any other linemen). Despite playing a lot of snaps, he allowed just one sack all year. Overall, he had the highest pass blocking rating on the line (+1.2 per PFF). He needs to continue to get stronger, entering his third year, and to improve his run blocking technique.

I really liked what I saw from the rookies Bailey and Bowie. But I'm curious to hear other people's thoughts on them.

Giacomini and McQuistan combined for allowing 12 sacks and 42 QB hurries. They were also liabilities in the run game. If they draft well, it could be addition by subtraction with them.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
The only thing I would consider questioning is LG. I still think they believe that Carp if he stays healthy can be good. He has had surgery in every off season I believe. Maybe this off season will be different. Pete and company will get them fight it out and I suspect we may well draft 1 or 2 as well

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Could never figure out why Bailey did not get featured more at LT during Okung's absence. McQuestionmark was so bad that at least you could throw your rookie in and give him NFL game experience with little threat of it being much worse.

I liked what I saw from Bowie and Bailey, I hope they emerge as starters. I can't say if we'll be throwing them to the wolves next off season though.

I'm of the group that thinks our OL was abused because a lack of outside speed allowed defenses to pin their ears back and overload us. If we had a RB that could on occasion threaten the edges with elite speed instead of 100% straight up the middle, and another threat at WR that could give DC's pause even if Percy get's hurt, I think that OL group could look pretty good.

Lack of skill position speed outside of RW and Percy Harvin would make a good OL seem pretty bad, IMO.

Brahn

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3qj06thu said:
NFSeahawks628":3qj06thu said:

Sweezy improved a lot as a pass blocker in his second year. He was reliable, taking 983 snaps (181 more snaps than any other linemen). Despite playing a lot of snaps, he allowed just one sack all year. Overall, he had the highest pass blocking rating on the line (+1.2 per PFF). He needs to continue to get stronger, entering his third year, and to improve his run blocking technique.

I really liked what I saw from the rookies Bailey and Bowie. But I'm curious to hear other people's thoughts on them.

Giacomini and McQuistan combined for allowing 12 sacks and 42 QB hurries. They were also liabilities in the run game. If they draft well, it could be addition by subtraction with them.

^This plus the fact he was a DT, not a OT or a G... but a DT.... 2 years ago. The guy is on pace to be a Pro Bowler soon by the way his learning curve is going.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
PC and Cable really like Sweezy and the B & B kids.

I think they will be happy just to go into the season with that lineup..the lineup the OP has presented.
That said, I"m kinda looking for them to do something in the FA pool to find right tackle help.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Happypuppy":1p2is9t7 said:
The only thing I would consider questioning is LG. I still think they believe that Carp if he stays healthy can be good. He has had surgery in every off season I believe. Maybe this off season will be different. Pete and company will get them fight it out and I suspect we may well draft 1 or 2 as well

If Carpenter takes that next step, that really helps our depth. Bailey could remain as the sixth starting linemen in the jumbo package or compete with Bowie at the RT position. Bailey was a great surprise last year in that role.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I think Cable has the ability to coach up the right kind of guys. Breno, Unger, and Swezzey have all gotten much better over the last 3 years. I'd be surprised if he was asking for us to use a high pick on OL right now, I think he is probably fairly happy with his talent and might look to relaced Jean-Pier and Breno if they dont get resigned.

chris98251

Reaction score
Jean Pierre should be kept, when asked to step in at Center or Gaurd I think we did well and his cost is on a lesser scale then many.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
hawknation2014":elt8vjtt said:
NFSeahawks628":elt8vjtt said:

Considering we had more success with runs to the right side of the OL, I'd say the run-blocking assessment for Giacomini is off the mark. Let me also wax a bit subjective here, but he and Beast Mode are pretty tight, which is also the case with BM and Mike Rob, so I'd equate that to something positive regarding run blocking.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
One thing for sure is I NEVER want to see Ginger at LT EVER again. The few snaps I saw Bailey in there I thought he did pretty well, but I'm sure lack of experience affected his PT. As excited as Cable sounded about Bowie and Bailey, I hope he dedicates some time to developing those two. Seemed like when Bailey was sent in a LT, it was one snap only and he probably received very specific instructions from Cable on a tell-tale down. Anything longer than that and he probably wouldn't his pickups right or understand many of the pre-snap calls.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":3j5jyghd said:
Considering we had more success with runs to the right side of the OL,

In 2013, the Seahawks averaged 4.52 yards on runs off LT vs. 4.14 yards on runs off RT.

They ran off LT 25% of the time vs. 18% of the time off RT.

LINK: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

The last year the Seahawks averaged more yards on runs off RT was 2010, which was Okung's rookie season. The starting RT was Sean Locklear.

TXHawkFan

Reaction score
I expect the Hawks to acquire at least two or three more linemen in the draft and free agency so its way too early to make projections about starters beyond Okung and Unger. We also don't know if Breno will be back.

Largent80

Reaction score
It was extremely beneficial to get the 2 rookies in there for a lot of play this year.

Same with Sweezy. He should be that much better next year.

McQ is another story. He was way out of position at LT, and struggled even at G.

randomation

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":1wckaz4r said:
Way to early...need to wait until after FA and the draft. but me thinks it's not going to be much different than the Super Bowl winning OL.

That isn't a bad thing when you qb is getting pressured on 43.8% of dropbacks honestly

Shane Falco

Reaction score
One things for sure, it's one of the few area's that we can clearly get much better at. Whether it be from our own guys we have already or by adding some guys or probably more likely, a little of both. It'd be nice if RW and Beast didn't have to work so damn hard.