Follow up on KJ Wright Day

Memphislaw

Reaction score
My lone Seahawk friend and I made the trek down to Olive Branch, Mississippi from Memphis, TN. It is a desolate drive down infamous Lamar Avenue that juts through South Memphis. Think strip malls with strip clubs. 30 minutes later we were at First Baptist Church where KJ Wright would be honored with his own day.

The speeches told of a young man who was humble and hard working. His high school football coach--with his schmaltzy but endearing Coach Tayloresque jokes--told of a player who was headed in the wRight direction. More notable was the High School Principal who recounted in great x's and o's detail of a play where KJ dropped into the flat and made an incredible leaping interception. That is when the principal felt like KJ could play in the league.

Of course I wanted to meet KJ, and I did; he autographed my mini Seahawks helmet. Up close, the gladiator was friendly but appeared tired. I looked him in the eye and quietly thanked him.

drdiags

Reaction score
Nice kudos for a young player who got a chance to help his team close out the championship. I am sure the entire team is going to have to adjust to the pulls at their time the rest of this offseason but events like this is just a way of the community showing their love for a native. Hope all had a good time.

Thanks for sharing.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Met KJ at the Seattle Auto show this year. There weren't too many people around so I got chat with him a few minutes. He was really friendly. Nice that his hometown is honoring him.