Dan Quinn says Bruce Irvin is 'really in the right spot'

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Bruce Irvin's 2013 season produced glimpses of his potential as an outside linebacker but also some uncertainty about whether he'll stay there.

From the sounds of it, he will.

Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn says he likes Bruce Irvin's potential at strong-side linebacker. (AP)
"I think he's really in the right spot," Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn told 710 ESPN Seattle's Danny O'Neil from the scouting combine.
Irvin sure looked like it during the Seahawks' Week-8 win over St. Louis when he finished with an interception and a strip sack to go along with nine tackles, the second most on the team. He had switched from defensive end and then served a suspension at the beginning of the season, and what was only his fourth game as a strong-side linebacker showed the type of impact he can have when his athleticism is put to use in the open field.

The rest of the season wasn't as encouraging, though, as Irvin didn't record another sack or an interception and finished with more than four tackles only once over the final eight regular-season games. By the end of the season he was playing mainly on early downs and leaving the field when Seattle subbed in its nickel defense. He was drafted 15th overall for his ability to rush the passer, and he went so long without recording a sack that merely sniffing one in the NFC title game made him feel like he had – in his words – a newborn child.

Irvin, despite some concern about his ability to hold up against bigger offensive tackles, did lead all rookies in sacks with eight in 2012 – and that was in a situational role in which he didn't even start. And with the futures of Michael Bennett and Chris Clemons uncertain, that led to some speculation that a move back to defensive end could be in Irvin's future.

But Quinn said it isn't and cited the room for improvement from Irvin, who after all has only spent three-quarters of a season at the position.

"He's got all the stuff that we look for in our outside 'backer with speed and length and he can set the edge, he can rush," Quinn said. "So I thought for his first time playing linebacker he did a terrific job, and you know that it's only going to get better from here. So we feel like he's in the right spot and we couldn't be more excited to see how far we can take him."

http://mynorthwest.com/?nid=422&sid=246 ... um=twitter

Hawks46

Reaction score
I said this last year, that I thought by the end of next year, Irvin would be our best LBer.

I might be wrong by a season, but Irvin showed he has the instincts to learn the position. He's super quick, changes direction well, and hits violently. When he gets more reps, he'll actually play even faster.

Looking at his measurables, and he's already one of the most athletic LBers in the NFL. I'm intrigued at what the coaching staff is going to do with the LB corps next year, and I'm really excited to see Irvin's progression.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Nice. And there's nothing in there that says he couldn't rotate in and play some DE in the nickel package when he'd normally be on the bench... or nothing that says he won't blitz from the Sam position. I like Bruce's toolbox. He looked like a natural at Sam. I think he's going to do great things for us from there.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":c0rtt7dg said:
I said this last year, that I thought by the end of next year, Irvin would be our best LBer.

I might be wrong by a season, but Irvin showed he has the instincts to learn the position. He's super quick, changes direction well, and hits violently. When he gets more reps, he'll actually play even faster.

Looking at his measurables, and he's already one of the most athletic LBers in the NFL. I'm intrigued at what the coaching staff is going to do with the LB corps next year, and I'm really excited to see Irvin's progression.

So he's what Aaron Curry was supposed to be? Cool.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I just don't see how you get around what I consider the be the obvious fact that the optimal starting LB lineup is Wagner at MIKE, KJ at SAM, and Smith at WILL. Smith has shown such an unbelievable instinct to be around the ball. For a team that loves turnovers so much, how can you take him off the field now?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1n4zwh8f said:
I just don't see how you get around what I consider the be the obvious fact that the optimal starting LB lineup is Wagner at MIKE, KJ at SAM, and Smith at WILL. Smith has shown such an unbelievable instinct to be around the ball. For a team that loves turnovers so much, how can you take him off the field now?

Why couldn't they just keep doing what they are doing? Put Irvin in on early downs and put Smith out there in the Nickle. It seems to be a pretty good formula.

jblaze

Reaction score
I don't know, I still think he rotates in at the LEO this season. We'll see how training camp plays out. Gotta get Smith on the field more, kid has earned it.

If we lose Clem and Bryant, we're going to need Irvin in on pass downs while Bennett will probably play DE on rush downs.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think if we lose Red we go draft or find a FA Tackle that may be inserted in Reds roll of holding point of attack for run defense. Not saying they will find one successfully but there will be an attempt.

After all he's not there really for pass rush, but to shut down the end and pursue across the line of scrimmage to collapse the running lanes.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I wasn't really impressed with Irvin at Sam. I think it's best when he can just focus on pinning his ears back and attacking the backfield at LEO, although he needs to work on keeping containment.

I prefer K.J. Wright at SLB and Malcolm Smith at WLB.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
CANHawk":3q73gy9k said:

How incredible is it that that guy got a six-year, $60 million contract including $34 million guaranteed. That old rookie system was utter nonsense.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":1fe11cr1 said:
CANHawk":1fe11cr1 said:

How incredible is it that that guy got a six-year, $60 million contract including $34 million guaranteed. That old rookie system was utter nonsense.

I would agree. But its give and take. There's always a Russell Wilson, Richard Sherman or even Byron Maxwell who completely outplay their rookie deals.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
HawkNuts":2le3bzbl said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":2le3bzbl said:
CANHawk":2le3bzbl said:

I would agree. But its give and take. There's always a Russell Wilson, Richard Sherman or even Byron Maxwell who completely outplay their rookie deals.

Sure that's true. But it still makes me want to vomit. And, burn the elite jersey I bought with his f'ing name on it...

Hawks46

Reaction score
CANHawk":2kb10288 said:
Hawks46":2kb10288 said:

Curry was supposed to be NFL ready and have all the intincts and polish to produce right away. He was never as athletic as Irvin. Irvin ran a freaking 4.4 forty for cripe's sake. He added 15 lbs of muscle and still looks as fluid and fast as he ever did.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
CANHawk":26z4epcf said:
Hawks46":26z4epcf said:

Good observation. Besides I believe Quinn knows his stuff.

Rocket

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":109j1l2z said:
Sure that's true. But it still makes me want to vomit. And, burn the elite jersey I bought with his f'ing name on it...

Dude. Cut the name off, CAREFULLY, and find ya a new one... or go nameless.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
CANHawk":3hoc0zye said:
Hawks46":3hoc0zye said:

nicely done! I have high hopes that Irvin will have a tremendous 2014. I think if Clemmons get's cut he'll be that other DE opposite of Cliff. I'd love to see him get more opportunities to rush-- to be our version on Von Miller.

JKent82

Reaction score
I gotta think he's gonna go off next year. Less thinking, more hitting. I'm still surprised how fluid he looked in coverage. We'll see though, there is a long ways to go.