Would You Rather? Bennett vs Greg Hardy.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
If you sign one and they would agree who would you want?

28 year old Mike Bennett for 3 years, 30 million. 10 per.

OR

25 year old Greg Hardy for 5 years, 65 million. 13 per.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Bennett.

The lower AAV is extremely valuable given our pending FA's in upcoming seasons, he brings much more positional versatility up and down the line than Hardy, we've already seen him succeed in our system, and I have grave concerns that Hardy's production could really dip after he gets his new deal (think Albert Haynesworth) given that there were significant red flags surrounding his motor and drive coming out of college, which is why he dropped so far in the draft.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Uhhh if we could get Hardy for 13 per I would take that in a heart beat. Best d lineman out there right now.

davidonmi

Reaction score
This is moot, whether it's extension or tag hardy is going nowhere but Carolina

DavidSeven

Reaction score
At those numbers? Neither.

Hardy deserves a big deal, but he's worth more to Carolina because he's a known commodity within their system. That's not to say he wouldn't excel elsewhere, but there's more inherent risk if he gets paid by another team. Besides, Seattle doesn't have the cap flexibility to be offering that money to more outsiders.

bigcc

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":665ztrft said:
I have grave concerns that Hardy's production could really dip after he gets his new deal (think Albert Haynesworth)

Based on what exactly?

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
Bennett plays inside at DT in the nickel package, Hardy don't simple as that. Bennett is underrated by alot of people its crazy.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
bigcc":13696fa8 said:
NorthDallas40oz":13696fa8 said:
I have grave concerns that Hardy's production could really dip after he gets his new deal (think Albert Haynesworth)

Based on what exactly?

Based on the rest of my sentence which you conveniently removed.

ManBunts

Reaction score
DavidSeven":nal3v3vz said:
At those numbers? Neither.

Hardy deserves a big deal, but he's worth more to Carolina because he's a known commodity within their system. That's not to say he wouldn't excel elsewhere, but there's more inherent risk if he gets paid by another team. Besides, Seattle doesn't have the cap flexibility to be offering that money to more outsiders.

Exactly. Being a known commodity within a pre-existing and successful system is a huge boon to a player. Bennett is more valuable to us as opposed to another team, same as Hardy is to the Panthers. There's always a price that makes someone right, but when you have repeating squads, you want to keep them intact. Not to mention, Bennett's flexibility, along with the presumed departing of Red whom Bennett often relieved, makes him more valuable to us.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Can we stop with the Bennett vs. Allen vs. Hardy vs. any other elite edge rushers ?

Bennett slides inside to play DT on passing downs. This also allows Avril to rush from the outside, on that side.

Allen, Hardy, et al don't play inside. They are purely edge rushers. So, if we signed Allen/Hardy, we'd also have to keep Red Bryant for run support. Two players are more expensive than one in this case. Bennett plays two roles equally well, and all you have to do is find a guy that can spell him from time to time (Scruggs, Hill, maybe Williams).

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
davidonmi":2230mcdw said:
This is moot, whether it's extension or tag hardy is going nowhere but Carolina
I expect Hardy to remain a Panther as well, but their cap situation is such that it's not an absolute mortal lock that they will tag and/or re-sign him. The fact that Jordan Gross retired does free up some more space for Hardy that otherwise would have been reserved for re-upping Gross (who was also a FA and who had said he would either re-sign with CAR or retire; he elected to retire today).

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Hawks46":3mofad9s said:
Can we stop with the Bennett vs. Allen vs. Hardy vs. any other elite edge rushers ?

Bennett slides inside to play DT on passing downs. This also allows Avril to rush from the outside, on that side.

Allen, Hardy, et al don't play inside. They are purely edge rushers. So, if we signed Allen/Hardy, we'd also have to keep Red Bryant for run support. Two players are more expensive than one in this case. Bennett plays two roles equally well, and all you have to do is find a guy that can spell him from time to time (Scruggs, Hill, maybe Williams).

No... don't tell me what to do with my time on this board... I have a right t question anything that I want... at least that is what I've learn from this board time and time again over the off-season.

Also, no need to get your panties in a bunch over hypotheticals.

And to counter your arguement.

Michael Bennett is 28 years old, 6'4, 274 pounds.

Greg Hardy is 25 years old, 6'4, 290 pounds.

And Hardy won't be able to hold up against the RUSH when Bennett can.

And you don't think that Hardy can't learn just like Bennett to be an inside/outside pass rusher in our system?

You know Bennett was only used in that capacity in TB, his final year, because of injuries and need, and it was exclusive but he did showed a knack for it much like Jason Jones did for Tenn, and it was Quinn who develped Bennett's overall ability to do more of that inside pass rush this year.

I think a bigger player like Hardy can more than handle those duties.

And to others: You guys forget that Bennett wasn't even drafted and the same circumstances apply in that Bennett could become lazy and complacent once he gets his money.

However, Hardy will have a bunch a pressure to perform on an elite defense as well as joining a Championship winning team, and possibly wanting a ring for himself.

kearly

Reaction score
Hardy. He has intense physicality (like a DE version of Navarro Bowman), is a terrific run defender and is a highly productive pass rusher just entering his prime. I'd put his overall talent level on par with Richard Sherman's.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
How is Bennet more versatile? Hardy is by far a better run stopper and is by far a better pass rusher. This isn't even a contest. The only problem is I doubt the Panthers would ever let him hit the open market. Drastic homerism going on here.

plyka

Reaction score
At that price neither and it's not even close. $10m per year for Hardy sounds about right, and $7m per year for Bennet sounds about right.

Hardy is obviously the better player and the better talent. Bennett is a great player as well, but his value has been completely overblown on Seahawk sites lately. I could swear I"m reading about the late Reggie White when people mention Bennett's name.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":pj9e2ddv said:
Hawks46":pj9e2ddv said:

No... don't tell me what to do with my time on this board... I have a right t question anything that I want... at least that is what I've learn from this board time and time again over the off-season.

And you don't think that Hardy can't learn just like Bennett to be an inside/outside pass rusher in our system?

You know Bennett was only used in that capacity in TB, his final year, because of injuries and need, and it was exclusive but he did showed a knack for it much like Jason Jones did for Tenn, and it was Quinn who develped Bennett's overall ability to do more of that inside pass rush this year.

And to others: You guys forget that Bennett wasn't even drafted and the same circumstances apply in that Bennett could become lazy and complacent once he gets his money.

However, Hardy will have a bunch a pressure to perform on an elite defense as well as joining a Championship winning team, and possibly wanting a ring for himself.

You to be missing the point. Why on earth would we want to pay EVEN MORE to an unknown player vs one whose been very successful in our system. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You have to look at this from a Macro level. More important than Bennett is Sherman, Thomas, Wilson. We can't be digging ourselves into a further whole with locking up Hardy. Frankly, I think we've got some hidden talent on the roster already with Scruggs, Mayowa, Hill, Williams, and whomever's on the PS.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Bennett. He is a Hawk and a world champion.

That and I really like the dynamics between MB and Avril. You have to assume it will be even more lethal this year. MB forces the QB to retreat as Avril is coming off the edge swingin' that patented Tomahawk chop.

Swoooooosh chop! < like that.

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
jlwaters1":20imccnx said:
Pandion Haliaetus":20imccnx said:
Hawks46":20imccnx said:

You to be missing the point. Why on earth would we want to pay EVEN MORE to an unknown player vs one whose been very successful in our system. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You have to look at this from a Macro level. More important than Bennett is Sherman, Thomas, Wilson. We can't be digging ourselves into a further whole with locking up Hardy. Frankly, I think we've got some hidden talent on the roster already with Scruggs, Mayowa, Hill, Williams, and whomever's on the PS.

Because like Kearly said... Hardy is an ELITE PLAYER... if I want the team to reward 10+ million per year investment in a player... I'd rather it be for ELITE PLAYER who is also bigger and younger.

These hypothetical exercises would be a lot funner if people can just look at the question being asked rather than throw in their own variables that really have nothing to do with what is being asks and just complicates everything