So Russell Wilson wants to be an owner

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2014/02/2 ... d-manziel/

An interesting insight into his drive and thought processes.

Makes sense why he wants to be at spring training. He is building his brand.

Even putting product placement in his interviews (he might need to learn to be a little less transparent there, but man he is worth the money as a spokesman because he is constantly bringing up the brands he supports in context of the interview).

I think his agent isn't putting him out there as much as he could, but for the times he gets the spotlight he does a good job with it. He does need to stop saying the same things in every interview, even though I am sure he believes it, because it is going to make it hard for people to sit through them if they feel they have already heard it before.

I certainly think that someone dropped the ball because I haven't seen much in the way of Russell Wilson endorsements since the SB, which is when you should have that stuff in place ready to play because he would still be fresh in the public consciousness then. Is his agent a solid one or a small contender? Right now he is rightfully getting lots of interviews but I don't hear anything about marketing companies, branding deals, or the like. Other than the Microsoft one that he had before the SB...where is the rest?

If this was posted elsewhere please go ahead and move it to that thread. I didn't see it anywhere else.

Also, whatever deal he does sign is going to be huge.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
He has Mercedes, Levi's, Nike, Alaska Airlines, American Family Insurance. I'm sure there's more

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Less than a month since the SB. Any large scale advertising campaign(s) would take longer than that to put together. Been seeing a lot of him on those Am Fam commercials lately. I just hope they dont make him do any of those stupid McDonald's commercials like they did with Kaep and Flacco.

suppaball

Reaction score
-The Glove-":3flecbc8 said:
He has Mercedes, Levi's, Nike, Alaska Airlines, American Family Insurance. I'm sure there's more
He is getting paid more by those company's than he is by the Hawks I would bet.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
suppaball":2q9j2adu said:
-The Glove-":2q9j2adu said:

No doubt about it. Forbes predicts RW will become a marketing machine making well over $100 million in the next few years. His profile with Nike and Levi's will only grow now that he's won a SB.

drdiags

Reaction score
I thought this recent round of interviews was based on his work with Micro$oft and the Surface tablet? That is why he is in NY supposedly. Next week is his baseball commitment. Not sure when his football camps start but I would imagine he would want to get some quality me time with the wife to keep his home front strong. He probably will have new rounds of deals with marketing folks starting around the draft and OTAs, maybe the start of Training camp?

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Hasselbeck":3t5muu39 said:
He owns the 49ers in Seattle. Not a bad start

If there were a smiley applauding wildly, I would have posted it here.

"I want to own a football team someday" is a heck of a way to let the Seahawks know that you'll be asking for top dollar in order to save up for buying a football team in the future.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":5nga3y5g said:
Hasselbeck":5nga3y5g said:

"I want to own a football team someday" is a heck of a way to let the Seahawks know that you'll be asking for top dollar in order to save up for buying a football team in the future.

Maybe he can own the Seahawks after he is done. That would be awesome

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1bz2smqj said:

I thought the niners were just a rental unit. I suppose if he stays in their heads, rent is always due. LMAO

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

Laloosh

Reaction score
suppaball":2ax2b08q said:
-The Glove-":2ax2b08q said:

Considering he was plugging MS Surface, it's a safe bet that he's getting some MS money too. The Paul Allen connection is paying off.

OP
OP
T

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
He had a lot of those endorsement deals before the SB.

What is odd is that those brands did not have campaigns ready to roll or splash campaigns they could throw out there to take advantage of his SB success and leverage off it.

I don't see big new endorsement deals being advertised, and usually at least one or two get ramped up or announced shortly after a big win like the SB.

Yes, his agent has been good about getting him Nike, Levis and American Family - among others. But they look like fairly regional deals to me. Someone deeper in the industry could probably share their thoughts on this, but I don't see many people picking him as a lead horse for a campaign other than maybe Alaska and AmFam.

Which strikes me as odd:

He is a 2nd year player with a SB win.
He has undeniable charisma and drive.
He has a great track record of overcoming adversity and outperforming expectations or breaking limitations.
He is eloquent and intelligent, and unless something weird comes up on Deadspin he isn't going to be risky to a brand.
He seems to appeal to a wide variety of demographic and psychographic categories.

So how has he gotten so few national deals and almost no spotlight deals?

cacksman

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":randaba2 said:
Hasselbeck":randaba2 said:

Was wondering how long it would take for someone to post this chestnut.

A 7 year deal of $175m won't get him much closer to owning a team than a deal worth $125m and a handful of Super Bowls.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
cacksman":y9c5pz3z said:
Smelly McUgly":y9c5pz3z said:
Hasselbeck":y9c5pz3z said:

A 7 year deal of $175m won't get him much closer to owning a team than a deal worth $125m and a handful of Super Bowls.
But a backroom deal with Paul Allen to take a team friendly contract in exchange for top dollar endorsement deals with Allen's companies might get him there.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
cacksman":xd1unm7v said:
Smelly McUgly":xd1unm7v said:
Hasselbeck":xd1unm7v said:

Tongue was planted firmly in cheek when I typed that.

kearly

Reaction score
Sounds like Russell Wilson wants to be to Seattle what John Elway is and was to Denver. Kid certainly does not lack for ambition.

randomation

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3noyyj7w said:
cacksman":3noyyj7w said:
Smelly McUgly":3noyyj7w said:
Hasselbeck":3noyyj7w said:

But a backroom deal with Paul Allen to take a team friendly contract in exchange for top dollar endorsement deals with Allen's companies might get him there.

Or a deal for partial ownership is that actually possible while still playing?