One underrated Hawks free agent that we need to bring back

seabowl

Reaction score
IMO one of the most underrated Hawks free agents this year that we should re-sign is Lemuel Jeanpierre. Not only is he an above average backup as a center but he can also fill in at the guard position if needed. When Unger went down this year we did not lose a beat when Jeanpierre came in, and at times, he seemed to play even better than Unger. I really hope we bring him back as he is very valuable and at an important position. Thoughts?

Laloosh

Reaction score
seabowl":hv7c1oml said:
IMO one of the most underrated Hawks free agents this year that we should re-sign is Lemuel Jeanpierre. Not only is he an above average backup as a center but he can also fill in at the guard position if needed. When Unger went down this year we did not lose a beat when Jeanpierre came in, and at times, he seemed to play even better than Unger. I really hope we bring him back as he is very valuable and at an important position. Thoughts?

Agree. Anybody know what a reasonable number might be to keep him around?

Tical21

Reaction score
Backup center needs to be just about as cheap as humanly possible.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":379j43fk said:
He's a restricted free agent. Very unlikely he goes anywhere.

Good. But I wouldn't blame him for looking for a place to be the starter. I don't know if I'd expect that this year, but next year I would think he would be out looking for playing time, which I think is feasible since he was pretty good filling in this year.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I would really like to see them bring back Clinton McDonald. Guy was great for us last year.

HawkHouse

Reaction score
Tical21":2u8a635b said:
Backup center needs to be just about as cheap as humanly possible.
But his ability to play guard in addition to center could make him a bit more valuable, not 7 figures valuable but a bit more than a 150k, imo.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
He looks at times like he could be a starting Center in this league. If other teams were paying attention, I wouldn't be surprised if a team offered him average starter money to join them. Seattle wouldn't match it.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
He was valuable. Could he take over as the starter for good if Unger had to retire? I hope we can keep him in the fold but there is only so much dough to roll around.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
We'll probably tender him at the $1.3M RFA amount. Did the same for Maragos last year. Other teams can offer him more without surrendering draft comp since Jeanpierre was a UDFA, but I sort of doubt they would.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
The most likely scenario is that Jeanpierre will be tendered at the Original Round Tender amount (which in 2014 will be no less than $1,389,000), and then the Hawks and LJ will agree to sign a lower contract in the sub-$1M range. This is quite common.

drrew

Reaction score
If Red is dumped, which seems likely, the Mc boys, McDonald and McDaniel both become huge priorities in my mind.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":3sh3j9i0 said:
The most likely scenario is that Jeanpierre will be tendered at the Original Round Tender amount (which in 2014 will be no less than $1,389,000), and then the Hawks and LJ will agree to sign a lower contract in the sub-$1M range. This is quite common.

SO what is the compensation for an UDFA tendered at original round? what if we let McQuistin walk and pay him 2-3mil a year Jeanpier on a multi year deal and allow him to compete for the starting LG spot.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Wenhawk":2lx9depk said:
NorthDallas40oz":2lx9depk said:

SO what is the compensation for an UDFA tendered at original round?
Nothing. If you tender someone at the Original-Round tender level and they were an undrafted player (like Jeanpierre or Jeron Johnson), and you lose them to another team by failing to match the other team's offer, you receive no draft pick compensation.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of LJP, but we likely won't see him too much at G. I recall Pete saying he's too valuable to risk unless absolutely necessary. LJP could likely compete for a starter role on a lot of teams, so tendering him at the right level is essential if one if them makes an offer we can't match. I don't wanna lose him, but if we do then I want as much comp as possible.