Something about RW just don't look...

pmedic920

Reaction score
Right.
My wife just sent me this. It's not breaking news, but I have mixed emotions.
mysana8a.jpg

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":3gqc0c2s said:
His hat is pushed down so far on his head that his eyebrows are covered and his ears are sticking out![/color]

Yeah that is a pretty terrible photoshop job.

Edit: Game doesn't appear to be on TV

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Dang P, my wife and I just spent a couple of months down between Conroe and Cleveland TX and went to Livingston one afternoon. I did not know there was a Hawk fan there. I watched the Super Bowl with just the wife and I in our RV, would have been great to watch it with another Hawk fan.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
v1rotv2":1o0bapl0 said:
Dang P, my wife and I just spent a couple of months down between Conroe and Cleveland TX and went to Livingston one afternoon. I did not know there was a Hawk fan there. I watched the Super Bowl with just the wife and I in our RV, would have been great to watch it with another Hawk fan.

Well now you know. If you ever get back down this way, be sure to let us know. HoustonHawk (Scott) would have been fairly close as well.

drdiags

Reaction score
Not sure why the Mariners didn't make a move to draft him before the Rangers did. Not a bad backup plan to have a second professional team willing to bring you into their organization for branding purposes. The Rangers have made it known that they wouldn't mind having a long term relationship with Wilson. Somewhere in their FO. If the unthinkable happens causing an early football career retirement, he is still in good shape with a sport he loves just as much as football.

Would he do a Jordan? Maybe not, but he probably still is conflicted with baseball as a career.

Seafan

Reaction score
He sucks at baseball and isn't a MJ in his best sport. Non story. Is this a charity deal or are the Rangers paying him?

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Seafan":24nrd41f said:
He sucks at baseball and isn't a MJ in his best sport. Non story. Is this a charity deal or are the Rangers paying him?

Sucks at baseball? He was a 4th round pick which is extremely high in a Major League draft.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Seafan":13wwv4tz said:
haven't been paying attention much huh?

drdiags

Reaction score
He wasn't looking good in the Rockies farm system but the scouting reports thought he could be a decent middle fielder. I doubt this is a charity deal, though the Rangers farm club in Myrtle Beach offered to fly him and his wife in for a golf vacation and donate $20K to his charity if he played a game with them.

Not a Baseball guy to know what a Rule 5 draft player on inactive status would be paid, but I would imagine what ever contract Wilson signed with the Rockies (along with signing bonus) will be taken into account. He is getting paid I would imagine.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
drdiags":2kztcnut said:
Not sure why the Mariners didn't make a move to draft him before the Rangers did.

This is the Mariners you're talking about after all. :D

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
drdiags":313i4rat said:
Not a Baseball guy to know what a Rule 5 draft player on inactive status would be paid, but I would imagine what ever contract Wilson signed with the Rockies (along with signing bonus) will be taken into account. He is getting paid I would imagine.
He is not being paid for this. It's a goodwill gesture by both parties. The Rangers simply hold RW's rights from having selected him in the minor league portion of the Rule 5 draft in December, but he is not actually under contract nor is he on the roster of any of the Rangers' farm teams.

drdiags

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":160c4vpb said:
drdiags":160c4vpb said:
He is not being paid for this. It's a goodwill gesture by both parties. The Rangers simply hold RW's rights from having selected him in the minor league portion of the Rule 5 draft in December, but he is not actually under contract nor is he on the roster of any of the Rangers' farm teams.

Thanks for clearing that up. Seems he is putting himself into a risky situation for no benefits other than generating some good will with the organization. You would think there has to be some type of accommodation the org and his agents agreed to. There is a benefit the Rangers get from having him around. Maybe it is just a donation to his favorite charity?

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Diags,

There's no risk involved for RW. The fact that he'll be 'suiting up' is just for photo op purposes. He may take a ceremonial grounder or two at 2nd base, and perhaps even take a couple of soft toss swings in the batters box, but he won't be partaking in any legitimate baseball activities, and certainly not putting himself at any physical risk whatsoever. The benefit for RW is that this allows him to stay connected to the game of baseball which he still loves, partly for the short-term fun of being a guest of honor at an MLB spring training complex, but also for his longer term personal business aspirations. Considering that the Rangers have arguably the best run front office in all of baseball, this is a terrific opportunity for RW in that regard.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":3nfpmdik said:
Diags,

There's no risk involved for RW. The fact that he'll be 'suiting up' is just for photo op purposes. He may take a ceremonial grounder or two at 2nd base, and perhaps even take a couple of soft toss swings in the batters box, but he won't be partaking in any legitimate baseball activities, and certainly not putting himself at any physical risk whatsoever. The benefit for RW is that this allows him to stay connected to the game of baseball which he still loves, partly for the short-term fun of being a guest of honor at an MLB spring training complex, but also for his longer term personal business aspirations.

This...I noticed quite a few Seahawks fans worried about him getting hurt somehow. Its not like he's gonna be out there running bases and catching grounders at full speed

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
^^^ Exactly. Some people need to do a little more reading into this instead of just seeing a headline on the internet about RW "participating" at the Rangers spring training and immediately busting out the Concerned Mother routine. He's there to be a motivational speaker, not to practice turning double plays at second base with Prince Fielder sliding into the bag or to have Yu Darvish throw a 95 MPH four-seamer at his chin.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Russell is having fun and winding down from a long NFL season. Enjoy Russell! Take some time off and regenerate!