Tarvaris Jackson wants to stay in Seattle

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
If I told you four years ago that a guy would rather stay as a backup in Seattle than go somewhere else for the chance at being a starter, you'd have thought I'd lost my marbles. Amazing what a Super Bowl win and a great team environment do to change perceptions. He knows he could probably be a starter elsewhere, but he'd rather stay here.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/article/20140225/SPORTS0403/302250021

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Or maybe he's finally realized that he's a below average QB.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
He has an easy ass job and gets paid to watch Wilson on Sundays.

I'd want to stay as well.

sutz

Reaction score
The only thing that matters is "How little is he willing to make as RW's backup?" He's pretty much our perfect backup, barring whatever QB they might draft.

Like SouthSound said, he's got a pretty good gig here. :)

Rooster854

Reaction score
Superb back up , with the ability to win a game or 2 if Russell gets dinged.Lo
ved by teammates for the beating he took with out complaint as a starter years ago. Comes fairly cheap and with his toughness allows us to only keep two QB ,s on active roster saving a spot for another player. win win win

drdiags

Reaction score
I figure if he is able to accept the backup role, he could carve out a position here similar to what Charlie Batch did with Pittsburgh backing up Big Ben. Or as long as Darrell Bevel is here. He may want to follow DB, where ever he goes next if it is as a HC.

Rooster854

Reaction score
Superb back up , with the ability to win a game or 2 if Russell gets dinged.Lo
ved by teammates for the beating he took with out complaint as a starter years ago. Comes fairly cheap and with his toughness allows us to only keep two QB ,s on active roster saving a spot for another player. win win win

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I'd rather Daniels and the newly drafted QB (Connor Shaw / Logan Thomas anyone?) fight it out to back up RW.

cacksman

Reaction score
If he re-signs he will be in a firm competition with BJ Daniels and whomever else they decide to bring in for the backup role. I wouldn't rule out Daniels for #2.

OP
OP
Seahawk Sailor

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
He's always going to have competition for his job; that's this team's mantra and will be as long as it's run by Pete and John. That's nothing new to him. Sure, he's got it easy, but you don't play competition sports for a living and not want to compete for a starting role. That said, to see this happen in Seattle is something I doubt very many people would have predicted. Ever.

Hawks46

Reaction score
He's want you want in a backup: a guy who's started a good amount of games, is familiar with the system and players, has locker room respect and can at least go .500 while your starter is out.

As long as he doesn't cost too much, I'm great with TJ as our backup. At some point we need to look at a young guy to groom, unless we want to carry 3 QB's on the roster, but Jackson isn't old so he probably has 4-5 good years left. No real rush to jettison him unless we find someone pretty special.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
He probably realized how much it sucks being the starter for a crappy team, which would be his only other option. Being the backup on a great team is the 2nd best job he could have.

mikeak

Reaction score
I rather have him than some young guy that will be looking to become number 1 somewhere else. He knows his role, he is satisfied with his role and we can keep him without looking for someone new in a year.

You can make good money as backup and keep your health for the long term. The career backup position in the NFL is one of the best jobs in the world.......

chimpanjesus

Reaction score
would be great if we could keep him. solid back up and by all accounts universally respected in the locker room. can't really beat that combo.

chimpanjesus

Reaction score
as great as the on field product is its also nice to hear that players value being a part of this organization. its so refreshing to have ownership that you can get behind, we all remember the fiasco that was the schultz/sonics ownership group not to mention the ongoing shit show that is the mariners.

warden

Reaction score
TJac was a big part of the development of this team

The 2011 draft when we drafted Carp and Moffit, the media questioned Pete's draft philosophy. Why didn't they draft Dalton or some other QB. Pete's response was "this team is not ready to plug in a rookie QB." At the time I recall we had an OL that couldn't run or pass block, and some very raw WRs. We needed to develop other players first. Tjac took an absolute beating the first 8 games and played the last 8 games hurt. The team got better as the second half of the season came we started having a consistent run game and the WRs were improving. We went 5 and 3 in the final 8 games. TJac gave us exactly what we needed, a QB who could take an absolute pounding, complete abuse from the idiot fans who couldn't understand what Pete was doing, take it all with out blaming anybody, and without hampering anybodies development. There is a reason his team mates loved him so much. They knew they where blowing assignments while they were learning. They knew he was taking all the blame for everybody's mistakes. They knew just how hurt he was. He was an ultimate teammate. Come the following year, this team was ready for a rookie to come and take over because of what they did in 2011. I have nothing but respect for the man, and I sure am glad he came back to the team and got a ring. I hope he stays on with us.

jblaze

Reaction score
I don't know, BJ Daniels might be ready to step into the #2 spot this coming year.

I think TJack has more value here than elsewhere, I'd want to stay here too.