A dominating defensive performance

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Just rewatched one of the best defensive performances I've seen in the NFL. The Seahawks were on the road, a couple points the underdog to an AFC West team with a Hall of Fame quarterback, while their own quarterback was a gritty, young scrambler. They'd gone deep into the playoffs the previous year, but came home disappointed once again. Not this night. This night, the Seahawks dominated in every phase of the game.

No. Not that game. The year was 1984, and the game was week nine, against Dan Fouts and the San Diego Chargers. Favored by two in the game, the Chargers were absolutely outclassed the whole game.

Steve Largent caught three touchdown passes, and wasn't even the most spectacular player in the game. That would be #45, Kenny Easley, who matched Largent's three touchdowns with three interceptions of his own. The defense sacked Fouts six times, including two from the great Jacob Green, and snuffed out every scoring opportunity by the Chargers, including a four-down goal line stand.

What an amazing game! No, it wasn't the Super Bowl, but it was every bit as impressive, and wonderful seeing all those old favorites play. That defense was a thing of beauty too. In this game, absolutely as dominating as the 2013 Seahawks. The difference was that these guys pinned their ears back and blitzed much of the time, swarming all over the quarterback down after down after down. And when the quarterback did get the ball out in time, Kenny Easley was there to pick him off. The parallels to this year's team were remarkable - remarkable enough that I thought I'd share my thoughts on it here.

Here's the stat line on that game, for those interested: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198410290sdg.htm

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Was that the MNF game? I remember Fouts being harassed and when he got a pass away it usually ended up in Easley's hands.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I was lost in a whole different world at that time. Did not even know if there was football, where I was. Philippines. Only got the Superbowl on radio and at the time was at work so barely got highlights. Not my radio, just someone else saying the score sometimes. Those were the days.

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
My one regret as a Seahawks fan is not being old enough to have watched Steve Largent and Kenny Easley.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SeaToTheHawks":z7fgdxdy said:
My one regret as a Seahawks fan is not being old enough to have watched Steve Largent and Kenny Easley.
You missed out. Both were great players and in my biased opinion Easley should have been a HOF'er, but his career was cut short by health issues, so in many folks eyes his career wasn't quite long enough.

It's a crying shame that either one of the fine gentlemen never got to play in the Super Bowl. Kenny picked the Hawks in a blowout before XLVIII on the radio as well, saying a defense THIS GOOD, wins championships!