Russell beat out Flynn BEFORE the KC preseason game?!

BigBallsPete

Reaction score
Did any one else notice that during the Charlie Rose interview, Russell said that Pete told him he was the "starter & franchise QB" before the 3rd preseason game against KC in 2012. That is simply incredible. We all thought that Wilson's performance in that game is what won him the job. If Pete really made that call before the KC game, he certainly lives up to his "Big Balls" moniker!

themunn

Reaction score
he's said in previous interviews it was before the Oakland game?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think he just misspoke. He didn't say Kansas City specifically. Just counted the games wrong. He was named starter before the Oakland game.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
DavidSeven":21e1uppt said:
I think he just misspoke. He didn't say Kansas City specifically. Just counted the games wrong. He was named starter before the Oakland game.
Agreed, I've heard him tell the story before and it was always before the oak game

Scottemojo

Reaction score
IMO, Pete knew pretty early on. In fact, it was reported by a Milwaukee journo with some inside info that Flynn started losing his shine with Pete almost immediately after signing his deal. Makes sense, because it took 3 days for Russell to impress Pete so much that he got into the starter comp.

I do think Russell may have mixed up his info though. Maybe being named the starter of the team and starter of the KC game twisted up a bit? Either way, it was a ballsy move that will go down in Seahawks lore as the smartest move made by Pete.

BadgerVid

Reaction score
I also heard Russell in an interview this past week in which he said that after he graduated from NC State, he went to NC State for a year of grad school in business...it was Wisconsin where he did the year of grad school. Seems he is getting confused about a number of things...

Donn2390

Reaction score
I was thrilled when Flynn was signed because I thought he was going to be somebody and do good things, but it didn't take long to see that he came in with a huge chip on his shoulder, thinking he was going to be the savior of the team and that he was bigger and more important that the team or Pete Carroll.
Bad attitude, bad arm, and his complete lack of talent was disguised behind two mirage games in GB. What is most surprising to me is the fact that he is still in the NFL..
Russell Wilson only comes long once in a lifetime, and we have him. GO HAWKS....

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
I knew from the first series he played against Tennessee. The whole damn offense (3rd string) sparked when he went in. I will always remember that TD to Winslow!

TwilightError

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3ryi4x9z said:
IMO, Pete knew pretty early on. In fact, it was reported by a Milwaukee journo with some inside info that Flynn started losing his shine with Pete almost immediately after signing his deal. Makes sense, because it took 3 days for Russell to impress Pete so much that he got into the starter comp.

I do think Russell may have mixed up his info though. Maybe being named the starter of the team and starter of the KC game twisted up a bit? Either way, it was a ballsy move that will go down in Seahawks lore as the smartest move made by Pete.

It sure will. Smartest move in franchise history? I think the coaching staff had their evaluating system in place and even if they (along with everyone else) wanted to believe otherwise, Wilson just graded better than Flynn (and Jackson) in the system. So they decided to believe in what they are doing and not care what others say. Gutsy, ballsy, smart and above all else, a smart move.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1qmq6wfk said:

I think that Flynn's decision to go on a 2 week beach vacation immediately after signing the deal didn't fit into Pete's Always Compete mantra.

Similarly, according to Rich Eisen (quoting an FO exec who was involved), when Manning and Leaf interviewed with teams at the combine they were asked how they would react if they were the first player drafted. Manning said he'd be getting hold of the playbook and his receivers to get to work (sound familiar?) while Leaf said that the first thing he'd do is take his best buddies to the most expensive hotel in Vegas to get wild.