hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
As I said in the thread, absolute blasphemy that anyone was allowed to wear that number after Largent retired. Eff Ricecake and eff Whitless.

Tical21

Reaction score
I'm going to get killed here, but there is no circumstance where I make the most decorated player in the history of my game change his number, for anybody. Jerry Rice wearing #80 was the best-selling brand the NFL had for a long, long time. For just about any other player in the history of the game, yes, they can't wear #80, but Jerry Rice IS the Mount Rushmore of the NFL, and everybody else is a pretty distant second.

BobcatHawk

Reaction score
Tical21":28gn325m said:
I'm going to get killed here, but there is no circumstance where I make the most decorated player in the history of my game change his number, for anybody. Jerry Rice wearing #80 was the best-selling brand the NFL had for a long, long time. For just about any other player in the history of the game, yes, they can't wear #80, but Jerry Rice IS the Mount Rushmore of the NFL, and everybody else is a pretty distant second.

I agree, especially since, iirc, Largent gave his permission to use the number.

TruHammer07

Reaction score
Tical21":10rgctyu said:

It's not his number league wide. It's his number on SF. The only league-wide retired jersey I know of is 99 in the NHL.

I was embarrassed.

Seafan

Reaction score
TruHammer07":2d1rxyil said:
Tical21":2d1rxyil said:

It's not his number league wide. It's his number on SF. The only league-wide retired jersey I know of is 99 in the NHL.

I was embarrassed.

42 in MLB.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":kzf6b9z0 said:
When Rice went to Denver he changed his number.

Nice add.

Largent did gave his permission. But permission is a long way from approval. The story I heard was that our (%^%$) FO, told Rice, the egomaniac who broke Largent's TD record, that he would have to speak with Largent about un-retiring a piece of our history. How could that not mean a lot to the once over-looked Steve Largent? The long time face of this franchise?

Anyway, the story goes that Rice-hole called Steve and Steve's answer was "I'm running for office and have much bigger concerns right now than a jersey number...so I'll let you decide if wearing that number is that important to you". Rice took that as a yes and so did our a-hole FO.

Greatest receiver ever? By the numbers, sure. But I fish with Jake Scott who defended the very best in his day, and Jake (who is a Rice fan) said Paul Warfield was the best WR in history. He says this without pause and he felt that opinion was shared by every DB in the league. Regardless, greatest ever or not, that sure doesn't translate to Rice's personal life. Can't stand the guy.

TruHammer07

Reaction score
has-beens traded for 7th round picks don't rip jerseys from the rafters, no matter who you are and for w/e team.

MVP53

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3g014v92 said:
TruHammer07":3g014v92 said:
.......The only league-wide retired jersey I know of is 99 in the NHL............
#42 in Major League Baseball for Jackie Robinson.

And officially now that Mo retired.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I've never really got this retiring player's numbers thing (the #12 I can understand). To me it's all about the next man up and being the best you can be, not what number you wear.

Retiring a number is like saying we will never get anyone good enough to take that person's place when if the number was kept it could be used as an inspiration to compete.