'Hawks officially release Sidney Rice & Big Red Bryant

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
John Boyle ‏@johnpboyle 1m
#Seahawks announce they've released WR Sidney Rice and DE Red Bryant.

Schneider: "These are extremely tough decisions, but we wanted to give them a head start on free agency. We wish them well in the future."

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 4m
Seattle saves $7.3 million on the cap by cutting Sidney Rice and $5.5 million by whacking Red Bryant. Total savings: $12.8 million.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sigh...always tough saying goodbye to favorites.

I'm glad for Red's career turnaround here, and that he's leaving with a Super Bowl ring.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":1r8psayk said:

Schneider: "These are extremely tough decisions, but we wanted to give them a head start on free agency. We wish them well in the future."

So does that mean that either Clemons and Miller are not getting cut, or that the team does not want to give them a head start on free agency?

CANHawk

Reaction score
These days suck. It's like losing friends. Thank you for your years of service gents. You were both huge parts of our transformation into a world champion. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

drrew

Reaction score
This could mean they're close on Bennett and/or Tate and want the cap room open immediately before they can talk to other teams.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3e67v7x3 said:

I'm glad for Red's career turnaround here, and that he's leaving with a Super Bowl ring.

It hurts a little less knowing that they completed their goal before they hit FA.

Happy

Reaction score
Godspeed Red. One of my favorite Seahawks.

stupid salary cap.

MPLogick

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2yom45rd said:
SeahawksFanForever":2yom45rd said:

So does that mean that either Clemons and Miller are not getting cut, or that the team does not want to give them a head start on free agency?

Doesn't mean anything...it's all part of one big process, they've just determined that they need the salary cap space more then they need those two players as of right now. Could be negotiating a possible restructure with Miller.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Glad Big Red got a ring! Dude is way too awesome not to have that hardware on his finger.

Sid was crucial to the rebuilding of this team, wish he could have had a smooth tenure here...but he had some amazing plays in the blue and grey.

4Aqlukh.gif

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2qfc92zq said:

Yeah, losing Red is sad. Glad he got a ring out of it and certainly wish them both the best.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
Sad about Bryant, glad he got a ring (unlike his father-in-law who deserved one) but I think we can find someone to match his impact. As for Rice, when the games begin next year and he's not on the field, not much will have changed.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
:(

Great memories, great leaders. Hope they can find a way to be back, but if not, best of wishes. Both still have a career in the NFL.

:cry:

Starrman44

Reaction score
Extremely sad day for the Starr house. I told my 6 year old (he's a big Rice fan) and he got a big 'ol frown and said, "First he got injured and now he got cuts(his word) from the team. Sigh! Well, at least his team won a Super Bowl!

Amazing resilience. Now all he's talking about is guys we could get. He's all about QB's so he's hoping we get Johnny Manziel (I'm not even a fan of Johnny Football). For some reason he also loves Brady Quinn from preseason. I think it's because his best friend used to be a kid named Brady, so he thought that was cool.

I loved what Sidney brought to the table for our team. I'm going to miss him, I think. However, I just love everything about Big Red and really hoped he would be a career Seahawk. I have a pair of old Seahawks football pants (practice issue given to an Uncle by a friend who was close to the Hawks back in the 80's and early 90's). They have numbers inside crossed out. One of the last numbers is #79. I think they may have been Jacob Green's. I got them back in about 89-91 can't remember the exact year. I just loved that connection to our past on the team with Bryant and Green.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
My favorite Bryant play was the blocked FG against SF in 2012. (That led to Sherman's TD).

Sidney: Game winning reception against Chicago.

hoxrox

Reaction score
:| Always liked Big Red. He played a big part in stopping the run.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Man, really hate seeing Red go. It seemed like every time I watched Seahawks All Access' pre-game stuff and locker room videos Big Red was always leading the huddles before the games to get our guys pumped up. Really gonna miss his leadership.