Should we franchise Bennett?

• Yes

Votes: 12 12.8%
  • No

Votes: 82 87.2%

• Total voters

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Simple poll - should we franchise Bennett now that we have much more room under the cap?

Hardy just got it and I think we should do it to. Especially now the Bryant is gone.

Obviously, we would try to work out a long term deal.

RussJames

Reaction score
Do players have any say in whether or not they're franchise tagged?

Also, I just did some math and I believe a franchise tag for a DT would be only about $8.8m... If that's the case then I say "Yea".

If he's considered a 4-3 DE it's around $11.5m a year, in which case I say "Nay".

main

Reaction score
I say we see if he wants to sign a 2 or 3 year contract. If he doesn't, then drop the tag on him. Since it will be considered another "contract year", he'll play his heart out again..

Steve2222

Reaction score
No. He's not worth Top 5 Defensive End in the league money.

Jville

Reaction score
Neither Bennett nor the Seahawk front office want the franchise tag. Both want to discover Bennett's open market value.

Steven Hauschka is the only candidate that makes sense to me. And that would only be useful to extend negotiations.

warden

Reaction score
RussJames":1fbavkv2 said:
Do players have any say in whether or not they're franchise tagged?

Also, I just did some math and I believe a franchise tag for a DT would be only about $8.8m... If that's the case then I say "Yea".

If he's considered a 4-3 DE it's around $11.5m a year, in which case I say "Nay".

I saw on NFL.com the figures are 9.2 mil for a DT and 12.6 mil for a DE. The team does not decide the position as per NFL network, they put the tag on and the NFL will decide of he is a DT or DE. That conversation came up on if Graham should be classified as TE or WR.

Schneider has stated recently that he doubts the Seahawks will use the tag.

RussJames

Reaction score
warden":1ugdouiv said:
I saw on NFL.com the figures are 9.2 mil for a DT and 12.6 mil for a DE. The team does not decide the position as per NFL network, they put the tag on and the NFL will decide of he is a DT or DE. That conversation came up on if Graham should be classified as TE or WR.

I gotcha, thanks. Do you know if a player has the option to turn down the Franchise tag?

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Jville":yb8lo11l said:
Neither Bennett nor the Seahawk front office want the franchise tag. Both want to discover Bennett's open market value.

Steven Hauschka is the only candidate that makes sense to me. And that would only be useful to extend negotiations.

What this guy said.

JMR

Reaction score
RussJames":xkv14oa7 said:
warden":xkv14oa7 said:

I gotcha, thanks. Do you know if a player has the option to turn down the Franchise tag?

I believe they can choose to not sign the 1 year tender, which would really be the equivalent of holding out. Trying to remember back to the Big Walt tag years.....

And back then the rule was you could only be tagged twice (consecutively). Believe the pay raise had to be at least 20% from the previous season as well for that player, even if that meant it had to be more than what the "going rate' was for the tag at that position. Not sure if any of this stuff is different in the current CBA.

sutz

Reaction score
Players cannot "refuse" the tag. If they don't sign the tender, they sit out and the team retains their rights to play.

At least with the last CBA they can negotiate during the FA period now. When Walt was being tagged several years in a row, they were not allowed to even negotiate until camp opened IIRC. That part really sucked. It got to the point where some people seemed to think we had to tag a player every year. ;)

Penman96

Reaction score
Seams like only 11 months ago he was out of work and signed here for $4.8 million on a prove it deal. (Oh wait - it was only 11 months ago). Is he really that much better than a year ago?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Penman96":1jajgazq said:
Seams like only 11 months ago he was out of work and signed here for $4.8 million on a prove it deal. (Oh wait - it was only 11 months ago). Is he really that much better than a year ago?
We will find out but personally I don't think he's 5.2 million better. And no way is he top 5 money better.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
They will let him test the market before that. With the cuts both already done and coming we will sign him if we want or go another direction because moneywise we will be in position to go in multiple directions if need be.

The Radish

Reaction score
RussJames":5cww90as said:
warden":5cww90as said:

I believe his only choices are to sign a contract with the team or the franchise tag which is good for the coming season.

this is from reading lessons from Hawkstorian for the past years.

:les:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
No. Bennett shouldn't be franchised tagged. 1) It would probably piss him off and deter any long-term agreement. 2) The only franchise tag worthy players are under contracts - ET, Sherman, Wilson, and Lynch.