philosophy change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
What do you guys think about perhaps PC and JS moving from a dominant defensive philosophy to a bend don't break higher scoring offensive philosophy? With potential losses at so many of the Dline positions its going to be speculative at best as to what kind of production we will get from Hill, Williams and the drafted/free agent players we sign and re-sign. I'm not saying that teams are going to run and throw on us at will but the potential to struggle a bit more to get off the field is definitely a possibility.

With cap situations coming up in the near future with our biggest stars PC and JS may decide to roll the dice with what we have and draft rather than resigning Bennett, McDonald, McDaniel or any other top free agents that could potentially be high dollar guys that hinder our ability to sign our studs.

Personally I think this team can be downright explosive if it needs to be and I can't wait to see who we sign, resign and draft to go along with Harvin, Lynch, Wilson and perhaps a much expanded role from Michaels.

In the salary cap era we've seen other teams win multiple Superbowls while tweaking their rosters and making philosophical changes along the way. New England and NYGs come to mind.

The question I have for you 12s is whether or not you trust our coaching staff players to win potentially playing a much different brand of football? In order to create a dynasty there is always the need to be adaptable in order to fit your game plan with your players strengths.

So, what are your thoughts on this? How do you see it playing out and how confident are you that our beloved Seahawks have what it takes, top to bottom, to adapt and win?

Sac

Reaction score
Pretty sure the defensive dominance will remain. They won't change that philosophically. Pete wants to "do things better than they've ever been done before", so I can see the offense becoming more explosive.

OP
OP
B

BlueBlood

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":3kcut8rc said:
Pretty sure the defensive dominance will remain. They won't change that philosophically. Pete wants to "do things better than they've ever been done before", so I can see the offense becoming more explosive.

In the event that the defense struggles a little more do you feel confident that we can challenge for the NFC if our offense is asked to carry the load at least 50% of the time?

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I think our defense will always be a priority and the fit that we get with free agency and drafts will pretty much solidify that situation. Our offense needs a pair of #1 receivers. He who shall not be named and a draft pic. ADB will be that clutch player that we keep because he is so damm good. Remember that we had a plug and play system in last year and it for the most part worked just fine. I would hope that we are so good on defense this coming year that the plug and play offense personnel get the opportunity to get some reps on the field early in the second half. There is NOTHING better than the real experience of doing your job when it counts the most.

JMR

Reaction score
What would PC's motivation be to make a fundamental change to his approach? Just to show he can win a championship a different way?

Go back and watch the very first presser he gave when hired here in 2010. The description he gives to the kind of football that will be played here is exactly what we are doing. The challenge will be to keep it going, not to reinvent our identity.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I see them moving towards improving all aspects of the team, in spite of any personnel changes. I do not see them changing the overall philosophy.

I personally HOPE they don't make the changes you speak of. The current set up/ philosophy is what I'm lovin so much at this point in time. Obviously minor tweaks will be made based on personnel.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Why would they change something that dominates the league? Just because several players change does not mean they are changing the way they think. It probably enforces it. Younger, faster and bigger can only happen continuously by upgrading players. Let's wait and see the new players before we declare a philosophy change.

themunn

Reaction score
Sorry, why would you change from a philosophy of "don't bend, don't break" to "bend don't break".

I could understand a change of philosophy to include a high scoring offense, but not at the cost of the defense, one that sucks the will out of the opposing team like we did to Denver in every game. Boring for neutrals, but it also means you can rest starters more and less risk to injury.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I think they will stick with the " never bend and break the other team" philosophy as long as we have the personnel to do so.

mjwhitay

Reaction score
Who are all these D-lineman we're gonna lose? I doubt that Bennett, McDonald and McDaniel are all gone, but If so, it's been said already... Hill, Williams, Scruggs. Might draft one. Might sign one. The LBs and LOB will be intact, so I think This thread is a little over the top, but I know it's the off season.

chris98251

Reaction score
We have so far released two players, one on offense and one on defense, I read that Red played in like 40 percent of the plays on defense, he was a edge setter for the run game, will we miss him? Yes to a degree, but it's easier to find a guy to set the edge and pursue down the line and disrupt blockers then a guy to get 12 sacks and penetrate the middle of a offensive line in my opinion. That also doesn't mean he won't be back at a more freindly salary.

He's not a great internal lineman, what he does great is what we ask him to do. Bradley may snatch him up in Jacksonville just for that reason to start a building block on his defensive foundation.

drdiags

Reaction score
I think PC/JS wants to maintain the defensive level they have now, with the chance to upgrade the talent along the DL through the draft and identifying talent to grow the LB and secondary with youth and speed. They cannot afford to continually depend on FA for impact DL players.

Their splurge to get Harvin shows they want to grow with the QB so I expect an increase in play-making offensive players at TE and WR. How they improve the OL based on the draft capital they have.

That will always be the challenge, keeping the identity while finding the fine balance of youth, experience and cap to try to maintain the playing level they have achieved. I would imagine as Wilson moves on toward his second contract, money will have to shift from all parts of the team.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Why would you want to change something that got you a Lombardi Trophy? That's crazy talk!

nsport

Reaction score
In 2014 there will be the right business moves. I think the league did us a favor by upping the cap as much as they did. Releasing Red and Rice saved 12 mil, plus we had about 11 to play with. I think we'll be fine keeping the current dominant formula.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Always compete/win forever is the philosophy. That will never change. You're talking about approach/scheme. Pete will always be a defensive guy first because it's what he knows best, and you should always go with that. He also believes in establishing run game because stats and history have made him a believer that you win more games that way.

None of this precludes having a more explosive offense. USC averaged 50.something points a game in 2005. The primary reason the D was so bad that year (relative to other years in Pete's tenure) was a combo of losing guys to graduation and the NFL, and a freakish slew of injuries on that side of the ball. Had that not happened, we'd likely have seen an amazing display of dominance on both O and D, with the offense showing great balance between run and pass.

That is what the Seahawks could be headed toward if everything lines up as planned.

DrDix

Reaction score
3 All Pros in our secondary.

Yeah I think I rather let our dominant defense stay the same.

Sort of a joke you are even proposing changing it. PC isn't going to change a thing.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
I think a change in philosophy is an absolutely horrible idea, period. I would rather see Carroll have a few issues with personnel rather than modify his approach. The strong defense and efficient offense has proven to be a winning combination over and over again. Departing from it would be foolishness of the highest order.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Did this team just prove that a superior defense will overcome a superior offense? Did the OP not watch the Super Bowl? Why would we change?

Darn fantasy players!

Status
Not open for further replies.