Angry Doug Baldwin

TwilightError

Reaction score
I just watched the conference final again and two players stood out to me. Michael Bennett (who has been talked about a lot) and Douggie Baldwin. ADB is the living proof of always compete. Dude went undrafted and made a difference in his first year. Second year was a bit broken but the third one, last season, he was mr. Clutch all season. He has a mean spirit and fights for every catch until the end. All the sideline tip-toes during the season and especially the way he managed to still rise his level in the playoffs are the markings of a true competitor, one that never shies away from making an impact.

He was everywhere against Niners in the game. Whenever there was a need for a key third down catch, just watch, you will see number 89.

I really appreciate Tate for the way he makes a buzz after the catch, but if it ever was so that only one can be resigned... Tate kind of disappeared in the playoffs and Baldwin took it up a notch... I'd have to say he is my number one priority in our offensive free agents. Luckily he still is restricted. I hope they sign him for long term during this offseason. He deserves it.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
I remember after RW's first game, the Arizona game I think it was, where Doug dropped that end zone catch and some teeth, he said he will never do that again. I don't remember his exact quote, but he was pissed. I believe this was when ADB was born. Since then , dude is just money in the clutch.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I like Baldwin a lot but when his contract comes up I think he may take less to play with his buddy Luck. It's just a gut feeling though. I hope I'm wrong.

JMR

Reaction score
brimsalabim":rf158km7 said:
I like Baldwin a lot but when his contract comes up I think he may take less to play with his buddy Luck. It's just a gut feeling though. I hope I'm wrong.
So he can once again have his accomplishments dismissed as a product of Luck's greatness? I doubt it, especially for less money.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2oiuvps0 said:
When are people going to learn that players never take less money unless the team has all the leverage.

OP
OP
TwilightError

TwilightError

Reaction score
JMR":3i6ysg6m said:
brimsalabim":3i6ysg6m said:
So he can once again have his accomplishments dismissed as a product of Luck's greatness? I doubt it, especially for less money.

Players will take less if they want to prove that they are worth a long lucrative deal, so they make a short contract and try to get the stats right. Like Bennett this year.

Baldwin will not make fantasy football worthy numbers in this team, but he might with Luck... And it seems that is what a lot of GM's are looking for, not understanding all aspects of our system. I think Hawks know what he is worth and will give him a proper contract. Hopefully sooner than later.

Throwdown

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":ynbuohxv said:
I remember after RW's first game, the Arizona game I think it was, where Doug dropped that end zone catch and some teeth, he said he will never do that again. I don't remember his exact quote, but he was pissed. I believe this was when ADB was born. Since then , dude is just money in the clutch.

I think ADB was born the say he was undrafted.

jimbojones31

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. Tate is style, Baldwin is substance. He is so much more clutch than Tate and plays with a chip on his shoulder. I'd love to be able to re-sign them both, because they have different skillsets - but if I could only bring back one, it would be Doug.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1wl4ib44 said:
Incorrect because he will want to stay in Seattle to play with his better buddy Sherman. Seriously, Doug Baldwin is kind of guy every team that wins has.....huge heart, seems to always make a key play in the clutch, tough as nails, versatile (backup stud KO returner as well as WR), etc. He ain't going anywhere cuz if a bunch of us see how valuable he is, John and Pete know too.

chris98251

Reaction score
Arods contract was never about the money either..................................................

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1t293ua2 said:
brimsalabim":1t293ua2 said:
When are people going to learn that players never take less money unless the team has all the leverage.
That's actually not true

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I really hope we hang onto both Angry Doug and Golden Tate. I think they are both underrated as pass catchers, and they both bring some serious intangibles onto the field with them.

chris98251

Reaction score
Players may give up money in salary for incentive money if they or the agent thinks they are attainable. It is a nice way to be creative with a budget. But it's not giving up money, its redirecting how they are paid.

Jville

Reaction score
Doug should be getting a hefty pay raise of at least $1.632 million in 2014. The second round RFA tender rose to $2,187,000. That should should make for a Smiling Doug Baldwin.

Here are the RFA Tenders:

Tender Amount
1st Round $3,113,000
2nd Round $2,187,000
ROFR/Original Round $1,431,000

Source >>> [urltargetblank]http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-set-133-million/[/urltargetblank]

If I had to chose between Tate and Baldwin long term, I'd chose the more team friendly contract. Hopefully any multi year contract will be team friendly and essentially a two year contract. The emphasis should favor guaranteed salary and minimize signing bonus.

HawkWow

Reaction score
BlueTalon":1a7vk6vs said:
I really hope we hang onto both Angry Doug and Golden Tate. I think they are both underrated as pass catchers, and they both bring some serious intangibles onto the field with them.

Totally agree. And here's another reason to keep them. Not once have I heard either man complain about targets. Definitely team players that seem to genuinely cheer for one another.

Now, with target hungry Harvin in the mix and Willson / Miller / ASJ (?) likely to see more balls, those great 'tudes will be more important than ever.

I suppose some could counter my point with...why put so much emphasis on guys getting less than 5 targets per game? But we all know they block well too, and for the most part, stay healthy.

A London Hawk

Reaction score
ADB doesn't complain about targets but indirectly, they are part of what makes him him.

The whole 'mediocre', 'average', 'pedestrian' thing seems to be be based on stats rather than what we all know Baldwin, Tate and Kearse bring to the team. Which motivates them.

As Kearse said ""Average," he said. "That's cool. I'll be average with a Super Bowl ring."

JMR

Reaction score
I agree the "pedestrian WR" stuff is likely driven by stats, but it also didn't really come up til that last stretch of the year when our passing game was not producing well. Should we go into the '14 season with Harvin, Tate, Baldwin, and Kearse then I think the narrative will be more focused on continuity in the passing game, young WRs growing with the young QB, and potential for bigger production. Some of that is a consequence of winning the SB, and some is deserved based on how things normally go with that part of a football team. Lots of historical examples of highly productive WRs going to a new team and seeing that production fall off sharply.

I really hope Tate comes back. It hink him and Baldwin are a good pair. Similar size but really different styles that i think complement each other well. They can both make enough plays down the field that it gives Harvin a little more room for the quick hitters and sweeps that proved to be effective in limited action this year. Percy is a big playmaker, but I don't think he's a 90 catch type guy making a living on lots of deep routes.

OP
OP
TwilightError

TwilightError

Reaction score
The "pedestrian" comments are definitely driven by stats. It also is why we probably can resign Tate and ADB both, because other teams might not give big money to players that dont have big money stats. Not many can see beyond that, even though we dont think Tate or Baldwin are unproven at all..

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
jimbojones31":3h6gdl15 said:
Couldn't agree more. Tate is style, Baldwin is substance. He is so much more clutch than Tate and plays with a chip on his shoulder. I'd love to be able to re-sign them both, because they have different skillsets - but if I could only bring back one, it would be Doug.

Are you crazy? Tate is outstanding. He has great footwork on the sidelines and has glue like hands. He is money on kick returns.

Not clutch? The Packers and Rams would disagree...