What scares me the most about losing Big Red and others

seabowl

Reaction score
I hope the loss of Big Red doesn't signify a change in our D philosophy. IMO it wasn't about Bryant's ability to make plays (tackles or sacks) but rather to plug holes and force plays back to our playmakers. The one thing I do not want to see is when replacing some of our departures that we do it with light quick players. Having those big hefty lineman stuff the running lanes was so important to our success and hope we fill those spots with similar type of players/body types. I would hate to go back to the days of the Holmy defensive scheme of quick and fast (but getting pushed around) lineman. Thoughts?

grizbob

Reaction score
I think the front office and coaching staff are still intact. Color me not worried.

jhawk91

Reaction score
:240039: we lose one guy and people are freakin out already lol. Have a little confidence our front office knows what they are doing man

getnasty

Reaction score
Why do you think they would have a change in philosophy when they have had the number one defense the last two years and just won the super bowl in dominate fashion with it. They cut Red to keep other pieces they feel are more valuable to the teams success. I personally feel like it was the right move and hope they cut Clem as well. I love Sid, Red, and Clem but when your production isn't in line with your contract and you play on a team that has a ton of you talent that needs to be paid, you get the axe.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
jhawk91":38bk67o3 said:
:240039: we lose one guy and people are freakin out already lol. Have a little confidence our front office knows what they are doing man
Dude, maybe you aren't talking about the OP, but I don't see his post as 'freaking out'. Personally, I thought it was a valid discussion.

As for the OP, I don't see the Defensive Philosophy changing. I think Pete and now Quinn have shown that they know what they want and will keep it intact. The 'Elephant' position is critical to Pete's 4-3 with 3-4 concepts and I think we'll see someone with a similar skill set to Red's brought in to fill his spot. Not sure if you heard Greg Scruggs interview on the Steve Sandmeyer show on 1070 the fan last Wednesday, but he was great and he's been groomed by Big Red to take that spot. He's up over 310 lbs and very low body fat for a guy that big. As much as I hate losing Red, I'm excited to see what this kid now brings.

McGruff

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":3n0lb68t said:
I believe Gregg Scruggs is going to play a lot in '14.

Gregg, Jesse, Jordan, Brooks . . . we'll miss Red's leadership for a while, but those guys will step in a rotate. Our line isn't built around one player, and our identity isn't scheme specific. We can play defense with Red at 3-tech, Avril at 3-tech or Bennett at 3-tech. Three very different looks. One incredible defense.

How many snaps per game did Red play in 2013?

amill87

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":2b1j1nuh said:
jhawk91":2b1j1nuh said:
Dude, maybe you aren't talking about the OP, but I don't see his post as 'freaking out'. Personally, I thought it was a valid discussion.

As for the OP, I don't see the Defensive Philosophy changing. I think Pete and now Quinn have shown that they know what they want and will keep it intact. The 'Elephant' position is critical to Pete's 4-3 with 3-4 concepts and I think we'll see someone with a similar skill set to Red's brought in to fill his spot. Not sure if you heard Greg Scruggs interview on the Steve Sandmeyer show on 1070 the fan last Wednesday, but he was great and he's been groomed by Big Red to take that spot. He's up over 310 lbs and very low body fat for a guy that big. As much as I hate losing Red, I'm excited to see what this kid now brings.

The elephant position is the Leo end. A lot of people mistake it for being something else but before seattle, Carroll didn't use the term Leo end, he called it the elephant.

As far as Bryant, i don't believe Carroll has had a player like that player at the other end position before. I think they saw an oppurnity to do something with a unique player and found a place for him. Now I think they want a bit more pass rush from that end and are willing to give a little on run defense, especially since our linebackers are much better than when Bryant first started playing end.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
seabowl":4vpap4dg said:
I hope the loss of Big Red doesn't signify a change in our D philosophy. IMO it wasn't about Bryant's ability to make plays (tackles or sacks) but rather to plug holes and force plays back to our playmakers. The one thing I do not want to see is when replacing some of our departures that we do it with light quick players. Having those big hefty lineman stuff the running lanes was so important to our success and hope we fill those spots with similar type of players/body types. I would hate to go back to the days of the Holmy defensive scheme of quick and fast (but getting pushed around) lineman. Thoughts?

I really think you should step back and think about what you posted. They released Red for the the money nothing else. There has to be some relief on the cap in order to sign our players that have a greater impact. Red was not a every down player and I am sure JS and PC have a plan to replace him or maybe he comes back at a lesser number. To think that they are changing their minds about a proven defensive plan is a bit over board because of just one highly paid situational player. I really liked Red and what he brings but not for the money he was making for the time he was on the field.

If anything this move would mean they are sticking to the younger, faster and bigger mantra.

BASF

Reaction score
One thing I don't think people understand is Pete is beyond prepared for this eventuality. He has spoken several times to the experience they have with having to replace players for them graduating. This really is no different. You could look it as Red having been here for his four years of eligibility. Pete has spoken to the fact that you want to have people in the program who can step into those roles and I am certain that we have been drafting people with exactly that philosophy for a couple of years now. That is why we brought in Scruggs, Hill and Williams. It is why we already have Marshawn's replacement on the team for next season when we probably let him go.

It sucks, but that is the reality of the modern NFL just as it is true of graduating seniors in college.

warden

Reaction score
We all knew that some painful cuts were to be made.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
amill87":3vbil7qn said:
Jazzhawk":3vbil7qn said:
jhawk91":3vbil7qn said:

The elephant position is the Leo end. A lot of people mistake it for being something else but before seattle, Carroll didn't use the term Leo end, he called it the elephant.
Whoops. You're right. My bad. But I think the rest of my point was valid.

theascension

Reaction score
Just wait until Mike Rob becomes the next eventuality. It's just a fact of the nfl offseason, I have faith in the next man up. 4 years for big red is actually beyond the average in the NFL, he'll find work elsewhere I'm sure of it.

Jville

Reaction score
Cap cost at both wide receiver and defensive end were way out of line in 2013. So these two moves were directed toward beginning the process of rectifying that problem. This is a big year for signaling how they are going to fit their cap expenditures around their style and philosophy. An insightful off season is at hand.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
McGruff":355gs6yz said:
Hawkstorian":355gs6yz said:

Gregg, Jesse, Jordan, Brooks . . . we'll miss Red's leadership for a while, but those guys will step in a rotate. Our line isn't built around one player, and our identity isn't scheme specific. We can play defense with Red at 3-tech, Avril at 3-tech or Bennett at 3-tech. Three very different looks. One incredible defense.

How many snaps per game did Red play in 2013?

Around 45% rings a bell.

amill87

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":2ap2w5is said:
amill87":2ap2w5is said:
Jazzhawk":2ap2w5is said:
jhawk91":2ap2w5is said:

I've given up trying to figure out what the hell Carroll is gonna do with his defense. He seems to do something different every year.

Laloosh

Reaction score
seabowl":2ahrvc18 said:

Blitzer, is that you?

sc85sis

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1460dw21 said:
Jazzhawk":1460dw21 said:
amill87":1460dw21 said:
Jazzhawk":1460dw21 said:
jhawk91":1460dw21 said:

He started calling it the Leo at USC.