Article on who the Seahawks could target in free agency

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Plus some rough cap estimations too...

LINK: http://seahawksdraftblog.com/who-could- ... ree-agency

With the cap growing by $10m this year, there’s unexpected relief for a Seattle team determined to keep their own free agents.

Michael Bennett is the priority, while extending Earl Thomas’ contract is a must this off-season.

But even if they’re able to achieve both of those goals, there’s no reason why they can’t be in the hunt for at least one prize addition.

Here’s why:

– $10m increase in the cap

– Nearly $3m rolled over from 2013

– Releasing Sidney Rice and Red Bryant saved $12.8m

– The possibility of cutting Chris Clemons and/or Zach Miller could free up as much as a further $12.5m

You’re looking at the possibility of $17.8m to spend without even touching the contracts of Clemons or Miller.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I dont know about strictly targeting DL. We cut Bryant for several reasons one being depth and the other to bring back Bennet. Most on the list are out of range minus maybe Allen as we have several other in house FA's needing extensions. Mcdaniel and Mcdonald should also be somewhat priorities for continuity and they performed well last year. That seems to be the mantra of this FO. Plus you could probably keep both and have some leftover.

On offense theres a rumor, not saying I buy it that James Jones and or Finley may be targets. Jones would be a decent pick up and would allow us to focus on other areas in the draft. Finley, too many serious imjuries unless he came on the super cheap. Obviously tjose rumors are mostly due to the GB connevtion rather than anything else id imagine.

Another rumor is Thomas is going to be "difficult" to resign as I read he wants "playmaker money" instead of top safety money. I also think they try to lock Sherm up now rather than later.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":1e159jy4 said:
I dont know about strictly targeting DL. We cut Bryant for several reasons one being depth and the other to bring back Bennet. Most on the list are out of range minus maybe Allen as we have several other in house FA's needing extensions. Mcdaniel and Mcdonald should also be somewhat priorities for continuity and they performed well last year. That seems to be the mantra of this FO. Plus you could probably keep both and have some leftover.

On offense theres a rumor, not saying I buy it that James Jones and or Finley may be targets. Jones would be a decent pick up and would allow us to focus on other areas in the draft. Finley, too many serious imjuries unless he came on the super cheap. Obviously tjose rumors are mostly due to the GB connevtion rather than anything else id imagine.

Another rumor is Thomas is going to be "difficult" to resign as I read he wants "playmaker money" instead of top safety money. I also think they try to lock Sherm up now rather than later.

I hate to say it, but Thomas has a point. There is no reason that anybody on this defense should be making more than him. I think he is the player the Seahawks would have the most problem applying the "next man up" principle to.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
What the heck is playmaker money? Hasn't he seen what Darrell Revis does to a team? He's already about out of Tampa Bay and after that nobody is going give into his selfish demands.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
"playmaker " money? Ridiculous, this isn't Jacksonville :) there's no such thing, he's going to get the top safety money, 8-9 million range, Kams getting under 7 million and he was our best player in the playoffs. they should be able to get Thomas, Bennett and Tate done, I hope they do. I hope we don't go after any of the guys listed, none are appealing to me rather they locked up Sherman to go along with the others.

Subzero717

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":23k0dhpv said:
What the heck is playmaker money? Hasn't he seen what Darrell Revis does to a team? He's already about out of Tampa Bay and after that nobody is going give into his selfish demands.

In a zone yes. If he leaves Tampa its bevause they realize they arent close enough to winning to warrant paying him that kind of coin. Selfish? Thats another topic altogether.

If Thomas holds out is he selfish?

Seaswab

Reaction score
If hes not happy with the being paid top safety money then thats very unfortunate

Subzero717

Reaction score
jlwaters1":1r9pjrev said:
"playmaker " money? Ridiculous, this isn't Jacksonville :) there's no such thing, he's going to get the top safety money, 8-9 million range, Kams getting under 7 million and he was our best player in the playoffs. they should be able to get Thomas, Bennett and Tate done, I hope they do. I hope we don't go after any of the guys listed, none are appealing to me rather they locked up Sherman to go along with the others.

What does Jacksonville have to do with the price of tea in England? He is apparently wanting 10 a year and to be honest he has some leverage. Ask anyone and he is the key to the system. Kam is a SS and while he played well and certainly stepped up the last quarter of the season to say he was our best player in the playoffs is a bit off. It is your opinion. I wont say he didnt play lights out but Sherman was targeted, less than 5 times IIRC. Denver threw underneath all night. Why? Like it or not just saying whats out there.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I agree just lock up Bennett and Tate and restructure Clemens and Miller. Then extend Sherman and Thomas and call it a day. If they cut cut Clemons and Miller that's when we make a play for a FA or two. Johnson would be my preference for anything over 1-2 years.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":gvgzc2tg said:
jlwaters1":gvgzc2tg said:

What does Jacksonville have to do with the price of tea in England? He is apparently wanting 10 a year and to be honest he has some leverage. Ask anyone and he is the key to the system. Kam is a SS and while he played well and certainly stepped up the last quarter of the season to say he was our best player in the playoffs is a bit off. It is your opinion. I wont say he didnt play lights out but Sherman was targeted, less than 5 times IIRC. Denver threw underneath all night. Why? Like it or not just saying whats out there.
He can ask all he wants but he won't get that number. As it is Seattle will already make him the highest paid Safety in the game anyway.

Subzero717

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1a42plym said:
CALIHAWK1":1a42plym said:
jlwaters1":1a42plym said:

He can ask all he wants but he won't get that number. As it is Seattle will already make him the highest paid Safety in the game anyway.

How can you be so sure? How do you know they WILL make him they highest paid safety? The digference between the two is only a mill or so. If he bolts what do we do? Our system and what he does, he has leverage. I dont know he will or wont. He is the key. There isnt another safety out there like him.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":3bf35c8d said:
jlwaters1":3bf35c8d said:

Obviously you missed the jags reference, fact is jags selected a former college QB (can't remember the name) anyhow they designated him as an "offensive weapon " a new position to which the NFL told them after a month or two to get real and assign him actual position. he's a safety plain and simple and his deal will look to what others have got recently like dashawn goldson got from TB. I don't know where you got the 10 figure, I haven't heard anything about that . Well just have wait and see

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":1cy2qki3 said:
MizzouHawkGal":1cy2qki3 said:
CALIHAWK1":1cy2qki3 said:
jlwaters1":1cy2qki3 said:

How can you be so sure? How do you know they WILL make him they highest paid safety? The digference between the two is only a mill or so. If he bolts what do we do? Our system and what he does, he has leverage. I dont know he will or wont. He is the key. There isnt another safety out there like him.
Because unlike you John Schiender actually knows his job and won't be bullied.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
His position is Safety not "key to the defense" and he WILL be paid as such just like Jimmy Graham will be designated as a TE because that's what he is despite his thinking otherwise. As for Sherman being targeted lightly it does have a bit to do with Sherman himself don't you think?

You should have used New Orleans not Denver for your other point even though it still doesn't work for different reasons than you argue.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":gsfxhdac said:
MizzouHawkGal":gsfxhdac said:
CALIHAWK1":gsfxhdac said:
jlwaters1":gsfxhdac said:

plyka

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2ifq7iy9 said:
MizzouHawkGal":2ifq7iy9 said:
CALIHAWK1":2ifq7iy9 said:
jlwaters1":2ifq7iy9 said:

This style of thinking gets old really fast. There is no player on this team, not even Wilson, who is irreplaceable! I think Thomas would be the most difficult to replace. But to act as though this team is lost without him is nonsense. There are a lot of other players that can fill the role.

This team is as good as it is not because each player is so important. It's the system, the personality belief that is instilled through the philosophy of Pete, JS and even Paul Allen.

What you cannot do with a super bowl winning side is to start overpaying for your talent. Pay Thomas the highest safety money in the league because he deserves it, but any idea of 12 million plus is nonsense.

Subzero717

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2q5qtqnn said:
CALIHAWK1":2q5qtqnn said:
MizzouHawkGal":2q5qtqnn said:
CALIHAWK1":2q5qtqnn said:
jlwaters1 said:

Lol

Subzero717

Reaction score
plyka":2d2y2cy6 said:
CALIHAWK1":2d2y2cy6 said:
MizzouHawkGal":2d2y2cy6 said:
CALIHAWK1":2d2y2cy6 said:
jlwaters1 said:

This style of thinking gets old really fast. There is no player on this team, not even Wilson, who is irreplaceable! I think Thomas would be the most difficult to replace. But to act as though this team is lost without him is nonsense. There are a lot of other players that can fill the role.

This team is as good as it is not because each player is so important. It's the system, the personality belief that is instilled through the philosophy of Pete, JS and even Paul Allen.

What you cannot do with a super bowl winning side is to start overpaying for your talent. Pay Thomas the highest safety money in the league because he deserves it, but any idea of 12 million plus is nonsense.

Im not his agent nor do I care what he ends up making. Its a report thats out there. Jimmy Graham is in the same boat. Chris Jihnson used this tactic. Im have no skin in the game. Honestly I hope he signs for $5 bucks. All Im saying is on this defense he is a key piece and his agent is going to use that. You could argue there are many key pieces but Gruden etc arent singling thrm out. Nor are there any safeties like him avsilable.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Thing is Earl will get paid and he will be the highest paid but I've heard nothing about any extension let alone a solid number. The only information out there is that Bennett is looking for 10 million a year. So I'm wondering where you are hearing this?