What does the highest paid coach in the NFL make?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Because if I'm Paul Allen, I would give Pete Carroll the greatest extension in NFL history, 20 million per but it would be a performance based contract.

He'd make a base salary of 10 million per.

Then each win after 9 wins, he'll earn escalators.

Regular Season:
10 wins = + .5 mil
11 wins = + .5 mil
12 wins = + .5 mil
13 wins = + .5 mil
14 wins = + .75 mil
15 wins = + .75 mil
16 wins = + 1.0 mil

Total $$ Earnable: 4.5 mil

Post-Season:
WC win: .5 mil (automatic w/ bye)
Div win: 1 mil
Cg win: 1.5 mil
SB win: 2.5 mil

Total $$ Earnable: 5.5 mil

This would do 2 things:

1st: It would keep Pete Carroll motivated and in Seattle which would continue to equal great things for the Seahawks..

In this scenario, Carroll would have earned 17.5 mil in 2013.

2nd: It could possibly pile more pressure on the 49ers/Harbaugh situation, likely infuriate Harbaugh who is rumored to be wanting to be the highest paid coach in the NFL only to see his "arch nemesis" get the the contract reward he thinks he deserves. With more rumours that the 49ers organization not wanting to retain Harbaugh and the veteran players losing faith in his system because of his abrasive (whine like a toddler) coaching style, it would be fun watching that franchise collapse and implode once again into probable mediocrity.

jblaze

Reaction score
Sean Payton makes the most in the league right now @ $8m per year. Bill Belicheck is $7.5m and a bunch at $7m per year including Pete Carroll.

My guess is he becomes the highest paid coach in history this offseason at around $8.5m/yr. Hell, it's Paul Allen, he could find that in his couches.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I really don't think you need to build in "motivators" for Pete Carroll.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Call me crazy but I dont think Payton is all that. Dont get me wrong he doesnt suck. I just dont think he should be paid more than Bellichek. Granted defense has failed them but, hes the head coach, not the OC.

chris98251

Reaction score
Payton calls the plays, he has his hands all over that team, he is responsible for how it all performs just as Pete is here.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
PC doesn't strike me as a coach thats in it for the highest $ ...I think he will coach till he can't be the pumped up Pete we know..7 million is way more than what most of the Hawk players make..I think he's happy with that..

drdiags

Reaction score
I don't think the other owners would be happy with something like what you propose. Eventually they would have to pay along the same lines. Paul can do what he wants, but I bet he doesn't want to create a unhealthy situation with how much he is paying his coach for the other owners. I don't think he has a problem paying market value and if he had to pay such a price he would, but why do something like this?

I suspect Pete will be getting or has already gotten a nice raise and extension on his contract. We probably won't hear about it until TC unless our local guys start clamoring non-stop about it to John Schneider during the draft and other team press conferences. I think Pete gave you a hint that something has already happened or was happening when asked about his contract after the Superbowl.

Steve2222

Reaction score
BlueTalon":36y88191 said:
What? Only an additional $1M for a 16 win regular season?

No.....it'd be 4.5 million if he won 16 games.

mikeak

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":1lj3j0os said:
Call me crazy but I dont think Payton is all that. Dont get me wrong he doesnt suck. I just dont think he should be paid more than Bellichek. Granted defense has failed them but, hes the head coach, not the OC.

Just to let you know but I assume you didn't hear that Payton was suspended about two years ago. Saints were good before and once he came back. Not so good in between

Just saying

Subzero717

Reaction score
mikeak":2ro7rulp said:
CALIHAWK1":2ro7rulp said:

Just to let you know but I assume you didn't hear that Payton was suspended about two years ago. Saints were good before and once he came back. Not so good in between

Just saying

mikeak":2ro7rulp said:
CALIHAWK1":2ro7rulp said:

Just saying

Reread my post.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Or they can just sign him to a 3 year, $30M extension and accomplish the same thing.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
jblaze":3sqpzfo8 said:
Sean Payton makes the most in the league right now @ $8m per year. Bill Belicheck is $7.5m and a bunch at $7m per year including Pete Carroll.

My guess is he becomes the highest paid coach in history this offseason at around $8.5m/yr. Hell, it's Paul Allen, he could find that in his couches.

But Payton needs a little extra to cover bounties.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
I would give him ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS.

dr-evil.jpg

bigcc

Reaction score
Pete could go 9-7 and miss the playoffs next season and he'd still be re-signed as the highest paid coach in the NFL (no joke).

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Paying him more than any other coach in history would certainly twist the stick that Pete has already shoved in the eye of his pundits! All those guys that assumed he had been washed out of the league only to see him resurrected like some bad ass Phoenix rising from the ashes! Awesome!

Latest posts