Report: No franchise tag for Hauschka

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Last year, the Seahawks opted not to apply the franchise tag to kicker Steven Hauschka. It would have cost $2.977 million for one year.

Hauschka eventually signed a one-year, $715,000 contract.

This year, use of the tag on Hauschka would cost $3.556 million. Per Tom Pelissero of USA Today, the Seahawks are inclined to roll the dice again.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -hauschka/

Jazzhawk

Reaction score

BobcatHawk

Reaction score
Has this regime ever used the franchise tag? Seems like the tag actually goes against Pete's philosophy of competing. If this particular franchise has to resort to applying the tag instead of competing with the league for a free agent's services, I think it sends the wrong message.

kearly

Reaction score
I'm guessing Hauschka will move on. He only had two other serious competitors in free agency and both got locked up to extensions. He will clearly be the top kicker available. I wish him well, he's earned the money.

I'm going to play my Husky homer card and suggest Seattle consider Erik Folk on a tryout basis. Best kicker I've ever seen at U-Dub, and his brother Nick happens to be one of the better kickers in the NFL.

minormillikin

Reaction score
Kickalicious incoming.

I hope Hauschka sticks around though. He, Jon Ryan and Clint Gresham are like the three amigos of special teams.

main

Reaction score
We rarely kick a field goal over 50 yards. Replacing a kicker in Seattle would not be that difficult. Let him leave if he wants to go or wants too much money. We can draft a kicker for minimum salary.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
This doesn't mean he is a slam dunk to be gone. They have until the 11th to get a deal done.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":2dzd1q7k said:
Last year, the Seahawks opted not to apply the franchise tag to kicker Steven Hauschka. It would have cost $2.977 million for one year.

This year, use of the tag on Hauschka would cost $3.556 million. Per Tom Pelissero of USA Today, the Seahawks are inclined to roll the dice again.

Good. It's ridiculous to franchise a kicker.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":7ib9yg7j said:
dontbelikethat":7ib9yg7j said:

Yet they're franchised more than any other position, I believe. Look how many kickers are on this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_tag

Smellyman

Reaction score
kearly":2bpg90op said:
I'm guessing Hauschka will move on. He only had two other serious competitors in free agency and both got locked up to extensions. He will clearly be the top kicker available. I wish him well, he's earned the money.

I'm going to play my Husky homer card and suggest Seattle consider Erik Folk on a tryout basis. Best kicker I've ever seen at U-Dub, and his brother Nick happens to be one of the better kickers in the NFL.

Homer card indeed. That is crazy talk.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
BobcatHawk":1703hi1w said:
Has this regime ever used the franchise tag? Seems like the tag actually goes against Pete's philosophy of competing. If this particular franchise has to resort to applying the tag instead of competing with the league for a free agent's services, I think it sends the wrong message.

The Seattle Seahawks have used the franchise tag just once since head coach Pete Carroll and general manager John Schneider took over the team. That was in 2010, their first season, when Seattle used it on kicker Olindo Mare. Since then, the Seahawks have stayed away from the tag and its hefty salaries.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1920 ... nchise-tag

bigcc

Reaction score
main":ex8a5wc4 said:
We rarely kick a field goal over 50 yards. Replacing a kicker in Seattle would not be that difficult. Let him leave if he wants to go or wants too much money. We can draft a kicker for minimum salary.

Replacing him wouldn't be hard? When was the last time you remember having a kicker who you really just felt like "he's got this" every single time he goes out?

He's proven clutch situations don't bother him, he kicks outdoors often in the rain, and we rarely attempt 50+yarders because of Ryan and the defense... if we had freakin Janikowski in his prime I doubt we attempt many more if any....... if I can have Hauschka at 2.5 mil or some FA/rookie for 1.0, I'm taking the guy whose only gotten better every season and is proven outdoors in the rain and in clutch situations. He had one freak miss, and one blocked kick (3 OL+TE+FB out as blockers), in 35 attempts.....

3.5 is too steep but do you really want a rookie kicker when the game is on the line? Call me crazy but you try to keep a 28 year old kicker whose gotten better every season since arriving here around if you can, over saving 2 mil and and wasting a draft pick on one.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":ignkg6gw said:
MizzouHawkGal":ignkg6gw said:
dontbelikethat":ignkg6gw said:

Yet they're franchised more than any other position, I believe. Look how many kickers are on this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_tag
I know and it's stupid. Just pay the man, it won't cost as much.

bigcc

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1b9jykpw said:

Not really..... paying him 3/year would only make him the 10th highest paid kicker.

Gould just signed a 4/15 extension for comparison purposes. Who says that isn't what he's looking at? It's a negligible difference between that and the tag....

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
IDK if I'm playing GM, I'm cutting Ryans and Farwell to pay the kicker who made .75 m in 2013, about +2.25 in 2014.

I'm not sure I do that. Surely there will be cheaper kicker's available and I trust my Special Teams coach to his job just like he did when we picked up Hauschka on waivers a couple years ago. Did we get lucky or was it process?

2ndly, I look at the draft... we have some holes but not many and looking at my roster I see those holes and I've already begun feeling them... they could be nothing but again they could be something... what will it cost to get the best kicker in the draft? A 4th or 5th rounder? If he can provide 80% production Hauschka provided would that be worth it for a guy making around 500k?

What do I think about kicking in general? Ofcourse its important but at the same time with a healthier Harvin in the mix I'm looking at a much better offense. One that, who knows, could possibly lead the league in scoring if health permits and there is continuence of growth.

Is Hauschka that important or can he be replaced... could I use that $3 mil or so and use it to help re-up Tate or Giacomini or Baldwin or soften Miller's cap hit so I don't have to cut him.

At the same time if Hauschka wants a modest $2 million per then yeah that's a good buy and I probably can afford to let Farwell (who will make up to 1.5 mil) go to cover that cost or so up to $2.25 mil.

Or something like that, I guess.

seabowl

Reaction score
bigcc":1ddnblyt said:
MizzouHawkGal":1ddnblyt said:

Not really..... paying him 3/year would only make him the 10th highest paid kicker.

Gould just signed a 4/15 extension for comparison purposes. Who says that isn't what he's looking at? It's a negligible difference between that and the tag....

Not sure if you meant Gano on this but.....

It's not only about FG's. Gano who was just re-signed had a league high 78% of his kickoffs go for touchbacks compared with 51% for Hauschka (18th overall). If you can pretty much guarantee a team start their drives at the 20 you are doing your team a great service as a kicker. As great as Hauschka is at hitting FG's he is only average at getting the opposing team to down it in the zone.

sutz

Reaction score
I would love for him to stick around, but I don't think I'd franchise him.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
He has been solid and we play a lot of conservative game plans that come down to pressure kicks. Please find some middle ground and keep this kid here and happy.