Will Russell Wilson want $18-plus million? Kaepernick does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Kaepernick is seeking more than the $18.2 million annually that Cutler received in early January, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday. If the 49ers aren't willing to meet Kaepernick's asking price, he hasn't ruled out playing the 2014 season on his salary of $973,766 and cashing in as a free agent next offseason.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... from-49ers

Smellyman

Reaction score
sheesh. His shoe collection will be so epic if he gets that kind of cash!

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
I hope they give it to him and more. Watch the fun as their team implodes. It's going to happen anyway. Harbaugh is accelerating head-first into the crazy skid and the wheels are coming off the wagon.

drdiags

Reaction score
I don't see how Kaep or Wilson gets less than $18M, but we had that argument last week so I should go cut and paste my responses from that thread. Brady is getting $15M but the huge guaranteed money made it easier for him to take that deal, plus it being his 3rd (or 4th?) contract.

This is a second contract for both of these guys. Now is the time to get as much equity built up in case your health starts taking a beating (see Bulger for how quickly a rising QB can succumb to the rigors of the game).

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Answer: No, Russell Wilson will not be asking $18 million! Because he knows that it will not allow the FO to gather a decent team around him. The key to success in the NFL is to have a "balanced team".....just like we have now. While it is true the our OL does not have the success that our LOB has, our strengths are in relative balance. No NFL team can have "All-Pro" players at every position......not with a salary cap.

kearly

Reaction score
SF should pay him, but the moment Harbaugh leaves for another team, SF should look to deal Kaepernick immediately, unless the new head honcho is adept at making good use of limited QBs (it is very possible that wherever Harbaugh goes, he might need a QB, so Kaepernick could follow his coach the way Hasselbeck did with Holmgren). Even at $18 million salary, Kaepernick would have some trade value, and they could use the resources towards a goal of finding a QB who fits a new 49ers regime.

Whether Wilson asks for $800k or something crazy like $25 million a year, I will not begrudge him either way. How many QBs in the NFL could win a SB with the league's 31st ranked pass protection? It's not a long list.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
Yep. And he deserves it. One day in the next couple years Lynch will be gone and the defense will go from one of the best ever to just damn good, and we will continue to win because of the once in a lifetime greatness of Russell Wilson.

Escamillo

Reaction score
drdiags":36u8ttw1 said:
I don't see how Kaep or Wilson gets less than $18M, but we had that argument last week so I should go cut and paste my responses from that thread. Brady is getting $15M but the huge guaranteed money made it easier for him to take that deal, plus it being his 3rd (or 4th?) contract.

This is a second contract for both of these guys. Now is the time to get as much equity built up in case your health starts taking a beating (see Bulger for how quickly a rising QB can succumb to the rigors of the game).

I don't know, I think QB salaries might start declining at the top end, if teams decide that giving 1/5th of their salary to one guy is a disadvantage to their chances to win a SB. If SF decides to let Kaep walk rather than give him 18 mil, I don't see any other team giving him that much, meaning he'll have to take less from SF or someone else, which will mark the beginning of the decline of top end QB salaries. Elite QBs will still make huge money, but I have a feeling the era of 18-20 million per year is coming to an end. But that's just speculation. :p

MVP53

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":46pt44eh said:
Answer: No, Russell Wilson will not be asking $18 million! Because he knows that it will not allow the FO to gather a decent team around him. The key to success in the NFL is to have a "balanced team".....just like we have now. While it is true the our OL does not have the success that our LOB has, our strengths are in relative balance. No NFL team can have "All-Pro" players at every position......not with a salary cap.

I think a lot of Seahawk fans are going to be a little surprised & a little disappointed when it comes time for RW's contract negotiation.

He may work it to be as cap friendly for the team as he can, but he's going to be paid top QB money, ESPECIALLY if he has 2 SB wins under his belt.

MPLogick

Reaction score
Russell Wilson has every right to ask for as much money as Joe Flacco and Jay Cutler are making. And he's going to get it.

RussWils3

Reaction score
Russell is the glue that holds this all together. He, along with our coach is what makes the machine work. I know this team is built on defense but we must do what it takes to keep Wilson here the next decade. I hope he doesn't ask for $18 million but he has a ring and has been wildly successful. He deserves that if that is what the market dictates (wait and see)

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
MVP53":dxui95s4 said:
I think a lot of Seahawk fans are going to be a little surprised & a little disappointed when it comes time for RW's contract negotiation.

He may work it to be as cap friendly for the team as he can, but he's going to be paid top QB money, ESPECIALLY if he has 2 SB wins under his belt.

That's how I feel too. It might be a mil or two less, but not much and that's still wishful thinking and yeah it'll definitely be as cap friendly as it can get at that point. As much as I want the 49ers to roll the dough out to Kaep and hopefully cripple themselves, his contract only serves precedent to what Wilson will get, so it's what ever.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hawk Strap":fibtibta said:
Yep. And he deserves it. One day in the next couple years Lynch will be gone and the defense will go from one of the best ever to just damn good, and we will continue to win because of the once in a lifetime greatness of Russell Wilson.
This.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
Those that think Russell Wilson will try to be your friend and not get as much money as he can are fooling yourselves. Just because Russell Wilson is a good guy and the Seattle QB does not mean he is going to take less money. These guys have a short time to make their money and Russell Wilson's is already shorter cause of the rookie deal he is on.

Russell Wilson should ask for as much money as he can and no one should expect otherwise. When the time comes for his third correct, then perhaps he may look at a deal like Tom Brady took recently.

Smellyman

Reaction score
fridayfrenzy":1q6exe7w said:
Those that think Russell Wilson will try to be your friend and not get as much money as he can are fooling yourselves. Just because Russell Wilson is a good guy and the Seattle QB does not mean he is going to take less money. These guys have a short time to make their money and Russell Wilson's is already shorter cause of the rookie deal he is on.

Russell Wilson should ask for as much money as he can and no one should expect otherwise. When the time comes for his third correct, then perhaps he may look at a deal like Tom Brady took recently.

but many on this board would take less money than their peers if it is better for the company.

Penman96

Reaction score
They will probably let him play for peanuts this year and franchise him next year, if they are still assessing he's a franchise QB.

Franchise is about $16 million this year, maybe a million higher next year but not $18.2 million.

After 2 seasons of that (averaging about $8.5 million annually) he will probably wish he signed a sensible $15 million / 5 year deal. especially if he regresses and ends up getting cut.

NFL QB's and their agents eh?

Jville

Reaction score
Baseball's regular season runs thru September ...... so that would be good for at least a 25% discount for a two sport athlete.

Penman96

Reaction score
Escamillo":1njiost7 said:
drdiags":1njiost7 said:

I don't know, I think QB salaries might start declining at the top end, if teams decide that giving 1/5th of their salary to one guy is a disadvantage to their chances to win a SB. If SF decides to let Kaep walk rather than give him 18 mil, I don't see any other team giving him that much, meaning he'll have to take less from SF or someone else, which will mark the beginning of the decline of top end QB salaries. Elite QBs will still make huge money, but I have a feeling the era of 18-20 million per year is coming to an end. But that's just speculation. :p

Your absolutely right - in fact the era of "real" 18-20 million per year contracts never really started because whenever one of these guys starts taking a cap hit of 18-20 million per year they renegotiate the deal. (Cutler an exception - he takes a cap hit 22 million this year but it's subject to some weird conversion thing...so it could be less)

Wilson - whatever he gets it will probably be a cap hit of 12m or 14 million for maybe three years (probably about 40 million guaranteed in these deal like Flacco got) then these contracts will get redone. Cutler got 54 million guaranteed, but again there are convertible elements in it.

Rocket

Reaction score
RW will factor in his "other" earnings, and Kaeppy is too busy reading his own hype. He will flame out.

Status
Not open for further replies.