3/4/2014 -- 950 KJR 8am **How we lost Hutch**

Brahn

Reaction score
Holmgren will be on KJR at 8 am. He is going to discuss what happened with the Hutchinson situation. Could be a good listen with info not heard before.

http://www.iheart.com/live/Sports-Radio-KJR-2565/

**Edited**

Was a great listen lots of insight into what happened and how Holmgren felt betrayed on multiple levels. I will add a link when it goes up and I find it - even though this was not the biggest issue after the Super Bowl loss it was still a major event in the team afterwards, and gave a behind the scenes feel of how messed the franchise was becoming internally.

OP
OP
B

Brahn

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":i7b714jn said:
I think it should be abundantly clear now that there were far bigger problems than losing hutch after the loss in XL.

With that logic should we never discuss Steve Largent or next year the Super Bowl Champion Seahawks? All in the name of it being in the past?

edited by radish for language attack poster not post.

OP
OP
B

Brahn

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3hus9elk said:
You know what? Never mind. this place....

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

edited by radish for language attack a poster rather than a post.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Does anyone care to recap? I heard Mitch hyping this on my drive in this morning, but I am unable to listen at the office.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
That was amazing radio.

Real quick before I need to leave...

Holmgren said that the decision to franchise Hutch was made, and he left for meetings at Combine. He even told Hutch that in his office before he left, Hutch was happy about it.

He heard from John Clayton two days later in a hallway at the meetings. About transition tag.

He said when he got back, he "more than yelled" at Ruskell. :shock:

He had a very emotional talk with Hutch in the equipment managers office after all this went down. Hutch got flustered and teary eyed. Kind of mentioned Hutch was pressured into signing by his agent. Thought maybe Holmgren lied to him. :shock:

They tried to match, we've all heard about this, but he said once the lawyers and agents take over, can't remember exactly. Not good things happen.

Holmgren later said some things he shouldn't have, to the two agents when he saw them later. Ruined his friendship with Condon.

Had a chance to throw Ruskell under the bus on a call with PA, but he didnt do it.

Felt like this was the slippery slope with the team.

He's patched things up with Hutch, they had a good conversation about a month ago.

OP
OP
B

Brahn

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":vj5v8rcc said:
You know what? Never mind. this place....

Sorry for my actions. Hope we can be buddies.

Barthawk

Reaction score
Me too OldWise- I wanted to hear the pep in their step when doing the Burleson details.. MIN still got the better end of the deal.. Getting Burleson at the expense of Hutch is like trading in a Ferrari for a Yugo and bragging about how you gouged them on the trade in..

I was pretty surprised at the unprofessionalism on both sides in this deal.. Hutch's side for allowing the poison pill knowing full well that the Hawks were willing to counter the offer he received from another team and the Hawks FO for kinda blindsiding Holmgren after he told Hutch he was getting the Franchise tag.. I am a little surprised that Holmgren didn't let Paul know what transpired when he asked.. I am sure Paul was not pleased at all losing one of our best players because of some sneaky lawyering..

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":12dw6lbn said:
That was amazing radio.

Real quick before I need to leave...

Holmgren said that the decision to franchise Hutch was made, and he left for meetings at Combine. He even told Hutch that in his office before he left, Hutch was happy about it.

He heard from John Clayton two days later in a hallway at the meetings. About transition tag.

He said when he got back, he "more than yelled" at Ruskell. :shock:

He had a very emotional talk with Hutch in the equipment managers office after all this went down. Hutch got flustered and teary eyed. Kind of mentioned Hutch was pressured into signing by his agent. Thought maybe Holmgren lied to him. :shock:

They tried to match, we've all heard about this, but he said once the lawyers and agents take over, can't remember exactly. Not good things happen.

Holmgren later said some things he shouldn't have, to the two agents when he saw them later. Ruined his friendship with Condon.

Had a chance to throw Ruskell under the bus on a call with PA, but he didnt do it.

Felt like this was the slippery slope with the team.

He's patched things up with Hutch, they had a good conversation about a month ago.

Gracias.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Further proof that Tim Ruskell was the biggest joke of a GM imaginable.

Thank god for John Schneider .. hopefully Paul Allen gives him Dubai money.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Great to finally hear the entire story.

Moral of the Story: Ruskell is every bit the idiot most people say he was, and still is................and why he hasn't sniffed a GM job since this debacle. Just looked up his Wiki page, and he's a scout with the Titans. Talk about demoted.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
When Holmgren was ending the call, he said he needed to go take a Valium. :lol:

But honestly such a dysfunctional situation. He also mentioned "yea, Tim was technically my boss or whatever, but decisions like this weren't made without me" or something close to that.

Very interesting statement.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Well I had said it many times the downfall of the hawks after 2005 was Ruskell and now we know its true

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
And Seattle took it in the shorts (again)... meaning, Minnesota got away with the "poison pill" offer sheet for Hutch... and the NFL essentially outlawed all poison pill offer sheets from that point on.

Makes me sick.

ChiefHawk

Reaction score
Losing Hutch was a massive hit, instead of building on what we had (including the best left side in football), we had to react to losing a major piece.

I was so pissed when I heard about Hutch.

Tical21

Reaction score
I will defend Ruskell on this deal forever. It was a brilliant way to pay market value for a player you feel was asking for too much. The poison pill should have never been allowed. How could Ruskell ever have seen this coming? To hear Holmgren say that the league told them to go away and not match, was eye-popping. They should have had our back. An absolute joke of a deal, and gives Ruskell quite a bit of an underserved black eye. He should have told Hutch though and not lied to him.

Latest posts