Teams that win championships tend to have elite safeties

LawHawk

Reaction score
I thought this thread on Reddit was great. It seems like Pete and John knew that and wanted to build a defense that hinged on an amazing safety (or two) rather than building an offense based on a QB or building a defense based on a pass rusher.

A

Anonymous

Whatever philosophy was employed, it worked.

An interesting take.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
LawHawk":ulin72qa said:
I thought this thread on Reddit was great. It seems like Pete and John knew that and wanted to build a defense that hinged on an amazing safety (or two) rather than building an offense based on a QB or building a defense based on a pass rusher.
A good GM/Coach builds their team on their best players, don't they?

We were fortunate that Diphead McDaniels traded his team's 1st rounder in the 2010 draft for our 2nd round pick in 2009 that allowed us to select Earl with the 14th pick... that, and Earl has absolutely held up his end of the deal as a Seahawk getting better and better every year.

Love me some Earl. :th2thumbs:

jlwaters1

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":j5ex8df7 said:
LawHawk":j5ex8df7 said:
A good GM/Coach builds their team on their best players, don't they?

We were fortunate that Diphead McDaniels traded his team's 1st rounder in the 2010 draft for our 2nd round pick in 2009 that allowed us to select Earl with the 14th pick... that, and Earl has absolutely held up his end of the deal as a Seahawk getting better and better every year.

Love me some Earl. :th2thumbs:
No kidding McDaniels was an idiot, his comments implied that he was smarter than everyone else, the guy they took was a slow undersized cb, who lasted just 2 years with Denver and was traded to Detroit, played another 2 years. I believe he's out of the league now. amazing.

theascension

Reaction score
It works the other way too.. Jarius Byrd is a 3 time all pro.... where's the Bills super bowl?
But it's a pretty valid point and I'm so happy we have and should be able to lock up the best safety very long term here in Seattle.

formido

Reaction score
Great find. Good research. What does it say that Seattle has TWO elite safeties? Anyone up for a dynasty?