Cap space and the FA's

EntiatHawk

Reaction score

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Bennett is clearly the priority after cutting Red, our starting five technique, and sacrificing $3 million in dead money.

If Tate demands the five-year, $25 million deal that Riley Cooper received, then I think they would be content to let him walk and to instead sign Baldwin to a 2nd round tender. Kearse (X) + Harvin (Y) + Baldwin (Z) + rookie X WR = a damn good receiver lineup.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":w3ugp23c said:
Bennett is clearly the priority after cutting Red, our starting five technique, and sacrificing $3 million in dead money.

If Tate demands the five-year, $25 million deal that Riley Cooper received, then I think they would be content to let him walk and to instead sign Baldwin to a 2nd round tender. Kearse (X) + Harvin (Y) + Baldwin (Z) + rookie X WR = a damn good receiver lineup.

Tate's going to get more than Cooper did, and it's very likely that he'll get it from the Seahawks. He's not just our best YAC receiver, he's our among-the-best-in-the-NFL punt returner. He gives us more than Cooper gives the Eagles, and we're not so cap-strapped that we're going to lowball the guy.

We've got the cap flexibility to re-sign both Bennett and Tate, keep Miller, and extend Thomas this offseason.

jblaze

Reaction score
I think Bennett will get around 8m and Tate around 5m. They'll get them both and be able to extend Thomas. If they also cut Miller, they can extend Sherman.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1fmzcf2f said:
hawknation2014":1fmzcf2f said:

Tate's going to get more than Cooper did, and it's very likely that he'll get it from the Seahawks. He's not just our best YAC receiver, he's our among-the-best-in-the-NFL punt returner. He gives us more than Cooper gives the Eagles, and we're not so cap-strapped that we're going to lowball the guy.

We've got the cap flexibility to re-sign both Bennett and Tate, keep Miller, and extend Thomas this offseason.

Tate's going to ASK for more than Cooper did........but I don't think he gets it here, or anywhere else.

Tate himself has said he hasn't heard from JS thus far into free agency. That tells me Schneider is just fine with letting Tate shop himself around because he knows the market's going to be soft for a player like Tate who's value is greatest here. So If I was a betting man, I'd say Tate shops himself around, finds out what I said, and signs back here for somewhere in the neighborhood of Cooper's deal.......maybe a little more, but definitely not the 8-9M a year he thinks he's worth.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1xikpdvy said:

The only problem with your reasoning is this draft class is extremely deep with receivers. If they commit to a large, long-term deal with Tate that will limit their options down the line.

Tate has been fairly inconsistent at getting open throughout his career. And he is somewhat overrated as a punt returner. He did not return punts in 2011 or 2012.

In 2013, he returned a lot of punts (51) due to our defense, but averaged just 11.5 yards per return (20th overall). Only eight of his 51 returns went for 20 or more yards. He did not score a TD on a punt return.

Seven punt returners averaged 14 or more yards per return. This includes Chicago's Devin Hester (14.2), Minnesota's Marcus Sherels (15.2), Baltimore's Tandon Doss (15.6), and Detroit's Jeremy Ross (16.2).

Tate was 2nd overall in return yards, but that was because he was 2nd overall in total returns. Kansas City's Dexter McCluster had the most punt returns and yards (averaging 11.8 yards per return with 2 TD's).

mikeak

Reaction score
Good return guy but some teams will not like a return guy that keeps fielding it within the 5 yard line.

I am sure PC has given him the go-ahead for those moves but still it helps his numbers compared to other guys

In regards to room don't forget that Sherman is eligible - I don't see any way we don't extend him this year. May not hit (besides signing bonus prorated) this year but will need money for next year. In addition we need RW next year (same situation as Sherman probably extension with only signing bonus hitting cap this year). Point being - unused cap rolls over. You are not going to pay Tate just because you have cap room.

You pay him fair value if you want him

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":7hmebwm5 said:
volsunghawk":7hmebwm5 said:
hawknation2014":7hmebwm5 said:

Tate's going to ASK for more than Cooper did........but I don't think he gets it here, or anywhere else.

Tate himself has said he hasn't heard from JS thus far into free agency. That tells me Schneider is just fine with letting Tate shop himself around because he knows the market's going to be soft for a player like Tate who's value is greatest here. So If I was a betting man, I'd say Tate shops himself around, finds out what I said, and signs back here for somewhere in the neighborhood of Cooper's deal.......maybe a little more, but definitely not the 8-9M a year he thinks he's worth.

At no point have I heard that Tate is looking for $8-9M a year. I think he gets signed by Seattle for around $6M a year on a 5-year deal.

As for this draft class being deep with receivers, yes, it is. However, none of them have proven a thing yet, while Tate has demonstrated himself to be an asset within our system. He's a great fit for our team, and you can't guarantee that with any of the incoming rookies.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2s8bcbvb said:
Sgt. Largent":2s8bcbvb said:
volsunghawk":2s8bcbvb said:
hawknation2014":2s8bcbvb said:

At no point have I heard that Tate is looking for $8-9M a year. I think he gets signed by Seattle for around $6M a year on a 5-year deal.

As for this draft class being deep with receivers, yes, it is. However, none of them have proven a thing yet, while Tate has demonstrated himself to be an asset within our system. He's a great fit for our team, and you can't guarantee that with any of the incoming rookies.

$30 million over five seasons is probably too much when they have cheaper options for a No. 2 receiver.

kidhawk

Reaction score
jblaze":gch86fwx said:
I think Bennett will get around 8m and Tate around 5m. They'll get them both and be able to extend Thomas. If they also cut Miller, they can extend Sherman.

Thomas can get extended without any real impact to the cap. His original rookie deal calls for him to make in excess of $5 million this year. His pro-rated signing bonus and a one year minimal salary would be no more than his current cap number. Now, if they do all they need to do this year and have cap space to burn, they may just extend his contract leaving this year's number alone and getting more of a break in next year's number, which could allow for more money under next year's cap for extending a certain qb we all know and love

volsunghawk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":38efafkq said:
volsunghawk":38efafkq said:
Sgt. Largent":38efafkq said:
volsunghawk":38efafkq said:

$30 million over five seasons is probably too much when they have cheaper options for a No. 2 receiver.

Like who?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
volsunghawk":hsj9se27 said:
hawknation2014":hsj9se27 said:

Like who?

A couple of them are already on the roster: Doug Baldwin (restricted free agent) and Jermaine Kearse (signed though 2014). Both Baldwin and Kearse can be re-signed for less than half of what Tate will command in free agency.

Let's consider the numbers for these three players in the playoffs:

Doug Baldwin- 202 receiving yards, 13 receptions, 15.5 yards per reception, TD
Jermaine Kearse - 134 receiving yards, 7 receptions, 19.1 yards per reception, 2 TDs
Golden Tate- 61 receiving yards, 8 receptions, 7.6 yards per reception, 0 TDs

IMO, Kearse (X) and Baldwin (Z) pair better with Harvin (Y) in three WR sets. Kearse and Baldwin do a better job at consistently creating separation. They each averaged more yards per reception in the regular season (15.7 and 15.6 yards per reception, respectively) than Tate (14.0). Despite fewer opportunities, they combined for nine TDs to Tate's five.

Baldwin, Tate, and Kearse would be a great receiver corps. I would rather sign Kearse and Baldwin to long term deals, and draft an elite X receiver, than throw a lot of money at a less consistent receiver.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":st5s06o6 said:
volsunghawk":st5s06o6 said:
Like who?

Take your pick

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/wide-receiver/

It's not only a fantastic year for WR's in the draft, but it's a fantastic year for FA WR's, which is going to severely hurt guys like Tate.

Considering age, production, expected cost, and fit with the team, there's not a guy on that list I would take over Tate (other than Baldwin, who we currently control).

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
hawknation2014":23vectvp said:

Actually, 30 million for 5 season for Golden Tate is a steal. And they can work that cap hit around as well.

If the deal was:

1yr: $ 4.0 mil
2 yr:$ 5 .0 mil
3 yr:$ 6.0 mil
4 yr: $ 7.0 mil
5 yr: $ 8.0 mil

But you gave him 15 mil in guaranteed money, like a 10 million signing bonus, his base salary for 2014 fully guaranteed, and some rosters bonuses his 3rd and 5th years. That would be totally worth it.

What people fail to recognize is that if you gave Tate/Baldwin... 100+ targets they'd be 1000+ yards, 10 TD WRs.

And in 2015/2016 if Christine Michael fails to pick up where Marshawn Lynch left off, who is going to carry the offense, and keep pressure off Russell Wilson?

Answer: Pseudo Gadget RBs like Harvin and Tate.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2cwrpjpq said:
Sgt. Largent":2cwrpjpq said:
volsunghawk":2cwrpjpq said:
Like who?

Take your pick

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/wide-receiver/

It's not only a fantastic year for WR's in the draft, but it's a fantastic year for FA WR's, which is going to severely hurt guys like Tate.

Considering age, production, expected cost, and fit with the team, there's not a guy on that list I would take over Tate (other than Baldwin, who we currently control).

Depends on how much Tate wants. If he does want to get crazy, then there's quite a few guys on this list that could come in and produce in our offense.

Of course I want to keep Tate, I think it's important for Pete and John to backup their "we take care of our own guys" statement we've heard since they came to Seattle. But there is a limit.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1zqf0tuv said:
volsunghawk":1zqf0tuv said:

The only problem with your reasoning is this draft class is extremely deep with receivers. If they commit to a large, long-term deal with Tate that will limit their options down the line.

Tate has been fairly inconsistent at getting open throughout his career. And he is somewhat overrated as a punt returner. He did not return punts in 2011 or 2012.

In 2013, he returned a lot of punts (51) due to our defense, but averaged just 11.5 yards per return (20th overall). Only eight of his 51 returns went for 20 or more yards. He did not score a TD on a punt return.

Seven punt returners averaged 14 or more yards per return. This includes Chicago's Devin Hester (14.2), Minnesota's Marcus Sherels (15.2), Baltimore's Tandon Doss (15.6), and Detroit's Jeremy Ross (16.2).

Tate was 2nd overall in return yards, but that was because he was 2nd overall in total returns. Kansas City's Dexter McCluster had the most punt returns and yards (averaging 11.8 yards per return with 2 TD's).

And you don't think Tate can't get better, more than half his returns were creating opportunities out of nothing. Also, its kind of hard being your teams No. 1 WR and also PR at the same time.

The way I look at it is that Tate added almost 600 yards of offense. Sure he had 51 attempts but that's 51 attempts (11.5 yards per attempt) that Wilson nor Lynch had to touch the ball and create that yardage.

Field position is field position.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":d4lmmppj said:
And you don't think Tate can't get better, more than half his returns were creating opportunities out of nothing. Also, its kind of hard being your teams No. 1 WR and also PR at the same time. .

Tate has improved each season, I'll give him that.

But let's be fair, how many plays did he make BEFORE Russell scrambled around and bought extra time for him to get open? A LOT of Tate's catches could be attributed to Wilson buying time.

What other team's are going to look at when valuing Tate is can he get separation off the line, run good routes and get open down the field........and honestly that's not his strong suit..........which is why I think we'll get him back for a good price.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Giving Tate a 5 year deal worth $25-30M with $10-14M guaranteed is essentially the same as giving him a 2-year deal WITH TEAM OPTIONS to keep him if he outperforms his deal. This is what people keep failing to realize. The only thing that matters is what's guaranteed. Everything on top of that is good for the team. You can get out after two years with almost no cap consequences.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2xoxazys said:

Because he wants to be overpaid and because it doesn't matter to him that someone else doesn't get signed because of it, I say so long Bennett, you got your ring, now go suck the life out of another team.