Who's good at Math????

Hawk-A-Loogie

Reaction score
Jk. Just wanted to share my Math problem i got today in class by my math professor. Made my day. LOL

Attachments

• COLIN SHERM MATH.jpg
    COLIN SHERM MATH.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,713

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
With that function, the ball would have traveled 3.5 feet before it hit the ground. You didn't read that wrong. I suspect your prof is lazy and just pulled some numbers out of his butt in order to have a problem.

A parabola more closely resembling Kaepernick's disaster would look like -0.04x^2 + x + 6.

chrispy

Reaction score
derivative is -10x+16, set to 0 and slope is flat at x=8/5 (top of parabola), 2x is 16/5 or 3.2 ft at end. sub 8/5 into original eq and -(8/5)^2+16(8/5)+6 = 35.44 ft.

Haven't taken a derivative in 20 yrs, feels good to remember......

idahawks

Reaction score
a. 18.8 ft
b. 3.5 ft

This is not a good equation for the flight of a football. Your professor may be good at math but knows nothing about football.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
idahawks":2g8ziz9a said:
a. 18.8 ft
b. 3.5 ft

This is not a good equation for the flight of a football. Your professor may be good at math but knows nothing about football.
I agree... except to be consistent with the number of significant digits in part (a) answer being 18.8 feet, I got 3.54 feet as the answer for part (b).

Your professor is sneaky to make you learn/know the quadratic formula to get the answer to part (b).

It's been over 40 years ago that I learned it. YIKES. :shock:

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
chrispy":l8ezkzwu said:
derivative is -10x+16, set to 0 and slope is flat at x=8/5 (top of parabola), 2x is 16/5 or 3.2 ft at end. sub 8/5 into original eq and -(8/5)^2+16(8/5)+6 = 35.44 ft.

Haven't taken a derivative in 20 yrs, feels good to remember......
Hey bud... you forgot to include a = -5 when you were solving the equation for x = 8/5.

On a test question worth 10 points, I would have subtracted 3 points for that mistake... partial credit = 7 pts. :mrgreen:

fenderbender123

Reaction score
One thing I hated about Algebra was that they show you how to solve problems when you have letters touching numbers, letters by themselves, and letters touching letters, but then they change the rules every chapter after that. And then once you've mastered algebra they tell you "BTW, we don't use algebra in the real world. You need to learn calculus."

Phteven

Reaction score
idahawks":2bzrepsd said:
a. 18.8 ft
b. 3.5 ft

my daughter agrees completely. Here's what she came up with.

5y4ubu9a.jpg

Brahn

Reaction score
I like the part where he was just trying to make math a bit more interesting. I highly doubt he cares how true to lie the problem is as he is teaching the solving of the equation. I give the guy props for at least altering his teaching lesson to capitalize on current events while also hopefully helping to teach the skills he needs to.

This teacher could just have seen the play in a different universe like that Niner fan proposed. Maybe the math works out in that universe.

OP
OP
Hawk-A-Loogie

Hawk-A-Loogie

Reaction score
Brahn":waepxu3q said:
I like the part where he was just trying to make math a bit more interesting. I highly doubt he cares how true to lie the problem is as he is teaching the solving of the equation. I give the guy props for at least altering his teaching lesson to capitalize on current events while also hopefully helping to teach the skills he needs to.

This teacher could just have seen the play in a different universe like that Niner fan proposed. Maybe the math works out in that universe.

Agreed.