Doug Baldwin gets 2nd round tender

HawkFan72

Reaction score
If I was on a WR needy team and saw his performance this year (especially in the playoffs), I would say a 2nd rounder is worth it to send him an offer.

kidhawk

Reaction score
One thing's for sure, we don't have to worry about the Niners going after DB

Subzero717

Reaction score
I would too. I'm surprised they gave JJ and Dougie the same tender. I guess JJ is the surprise. However, I can't see a team pulling the trigger. This is a deep draft at that position and if I think I understand the Hawks can still match so they would have to pay him handsomely as well?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2f58rorg said:
If I was on a WR needy team and saw his performance this year (especially in the playoffs), I would say a 2nd rounder is worth it to send him an offer.

Seems unlikely with the draft class being as deep and promising as it is. They can just use that 2nd on a guy who will be on 4-year rookie contract

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
And if someone falls in love with him and signs him, then at least we know what his contract demand is and we can quickly make plans, with our without him.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
JJ got the second round tender because he was a UDFA, and the only options for those guys are 1st/2nd round tenders if you want to protect them. Doesn't necessarily mean they value the two players the same. For example, they might have a 2nd round grade on ADB, and a 4th round grade on JJ. Since there are no 4th round tenders, you give them both a 2nd. Sounds like they may have signed JJ for cheaper than the tender amount anyway.

OP
OP
tifferradish

tifferradish

Reaction score
Earl Thomas just wrote on Twitter that Baldwin got a contract extension? Maybe he meant the tender.

jblaze

Reaction score
Yes they did sign JJ for less than the tender. A source said it was for more than the min but less than 1m/yr.

OP
OP
tifferradish

tifferradish

Reaction score
Yeah, Baldwin just replied back saying it wasn't an extension.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":10g29kdr said:
Wonder if Doug will be upset

Doug had to know they were gonna protect themselves with him and Tate hitting the market at the same time.

kidhawk

Reaction score
tifferradish":25748mkw said:

And he added "More to come"....whatever that means...I'd guess they are still talking contract extension

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I don't think Doug would have a reason to be upset. He only had to play three years under his rookie deal whereas drafted players are committed to four years. Even if he doesn't get a long-term extension now, he's in no worse position than Tate was in last year.

Edit: from Twitter, sounds like he's angling for a long-term extension though. Something to keep an eye on.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
kidhawk":363p05kg said:
tifferradish":363p05kg said:

And he added "More to come"....whatever that means...I'd guess they are still talking contract extension
Good news. It will happen fairly soon IMO. PC and JS know what they have in this guy.

sutz

Reaction score
kidhawk":1xslc4lb said:
tifferradish":1xslc4lb said:

I think most of us hope so. I know I do.

kidhawk

Reaction score
sutz":3gdma8cv said:
kidhawk":3gdma8cv said:
tifferradish":3gdma8cv said:

I think most of us hope so. I know I do.

I do as well. I've carried DB as my phone graphic pretty much the entire season. I just love the way he goes about playing the game.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
If I was DB, I would sign the one year tender, play for $2+ million this year, and then test unrestricted free agency next year.