Brandon Coutu and Michael Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
The guy on Clayton show made a remark about how we supposedly cut Michael Bennett in 2009 to keep a 2nd kicker.

In fact they were completely different years, the two had nothing to do with each other. Coutu was kept on the roster in 2008.

It seems from time to time that myth comes up. I wonder why.

JerHawk81

Reaction score
I've always said that keeping 2 kickers is fine, as long as one of them can play on punt coverage or return kicks.

It was something silly like that. My (rather flawed) memory says that we kept Bennett on the roster for most of the year, and then cut him late-late in the year for a stupid reason - something like 2 kickers (neither of which were KR experts).

Anyone remember the specifics?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":3er72nn0 said:
They re-signed Justin Griffith when they cut Bennett.

Speaking of Justin Griffith, I know he was an assistant RBs coach with the Hawks in 2012 (not sure about this year). With him, Marquand Manuel, and Kris Richard it seems like a lot of former Hawks keep coming back to try their hand at coaching.

As for the 2nd kicker thing, I believe we just held onto Coutu strictly because we did not want another team to get him. I don't believe he even kicked at all for us in the regular season, which made it even more ridiculous.

vigilantgrrl

Reaction score
This is what I think went down in regards to Michael Bennet. He had an awesome training camp and exhibition game performances that year. He lasted to the final cuts...and then was cut in favor of keeping Craig Terrill, which infuriated me at the time. For me, Terrill was nobody to get sentimental about to justify keeping him on the roster. I also remember that when Carroll took over and Hasselbeck was up for a new contract, there was chatter that he should be offered an expensive multi-year deal which would have made it impossible to give Brandon Mebane (also about to be a free agent) the money he was looking for, and he would likely walk. So glad that did not happen! Resigning Mebane to a multi-year contract and letting Hasselbeck go, can also be seen as a turning point in the rise of the Seahawks. I remember Clayton, Huard, et. al. criticizing that move too. Just look at what Mebane has meant to the D-Line....and that contract is so reasonable, we do not have to cut him for the cap money! Just think if we had had Bennett all along!

Status
Not open for further replies.