Seahawks D affecting every level of the game

billio155

Reaction score
This past weekend i traveled down to Portland to attend the Nike Coaching Conference for high school coaches. Nike leverages their contracts to bring in the very best college and pro coaches, (I sat through two meeting with John freaking Marshall!) I'm a linebackers coach so I spent most of my time in Defensive meetings. The message in each session was loud and clear, the Seahawks beat down of the Broncos is serving as a rallying cry for defensive coaches at every level. To say these coaches were fired up would be an understatement, we are talking fire and brim stone stuff here. Anyway, just wanted to share my experience. Go Hawks!

ivotuk

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":2ppq1fuk said:
Interesting.

How is John Marshall? Still looking confused as always?

:lol: I'm sure at one point John Marshall was a fine coach, in fact he seemed to be a pretty good LB coach, or maybe that was all Lofa.

One thing I hated about Holmgren, he never placed enough importance on Defense and hired some horrible coaches on the other side. His "offensive ego" was so huge that he didn't think he needed defense. Imagine if he would have put that much importance on defense and special teams, he would have been unbeatable.

Thanks for the story. Any other coaches besides Marshall? Was there any focus on particular areas of the defense or schemes?

OP
OP
B

billio155

Reaction score
When I first saw him getting ready for the seminar, I thought he looked old and tired. But once he started talking all that went out the door. The guy is a hell of motivator. He yelled at a coach for not taking notes...which was pretty funny. He also told some stories about his time with the 49rs. He said, Charles Haley was a goofball. The best moment though was when he was showing how Linebackers should attack mauling guards and he got so into it he knocked his microphone off his shirt and nearly knocked the table over. He came across as a guy who could get you fired up, show you good technique, but may get a little frazzled once the bullets started flying.

sutz

Reaction score
'Bout time. Offense has been dominating for far too long.

Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
B

billio155

Reaction score
Ivotuk, sadly, most of seminars were focused on offensive schemes. The spread, rocket and read option were all covered and covered and covered. As far as coaches...Nearly the entire Husky's staff was there as well as the Duck, Beavers and Arizona staffs. One problem though, these coaches were not real keen on sharing inside info with so many rival coaches around. They would start sharing a scheme and then say something like, "Is that Riley over there? Yeah I'll keep that scheme to myself for now."

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Pretty obvious now that Pete Carroll had a handle on how practically all of the other Coaches in the League have been trending towards Offense.
The flood of Quarterbacks being taken, and everyone licking their chops for the 400 Yard passing games that were to ensue because of it, yet, Pete knew that, that trend would also have it's down side, and that the more the ball is in the air, the more chances to turning the ball over.
Funny how a lot of these other Coaches are now having to rethink, and retool.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
ivotuk":2yr0hwjw said:
Trenchbroom":2yr0hwjw said:
Interesting.

How is John Marshall? Still looking confused as always?

:lol: I'm sure at one point John Marshall was a fine coach, in fact he seemed to be a pretty good LB coach, or maybe that was all Lofa.

One thing I hated about Holmgren, he never placed enough importance on Defense and hired some horrible coaches on the other side. His "offensive ego" was so huge that he didn't think he needed defense. Imagine if he would have put that much importance on defense and special teams, he would have been unbeatable.

Thanks for the story. Any other coaches besides Marshall? Was there any focus on particular areas of the defense or schemes?
An you can say the exact reverse for Pete.