Does Earl Thomas or Sherman Get An Extension This Year..?

dopeboy206

Reaction score
I'm not sure how his contract works or anything of that matter but I haven't seen this being brought up on here but I really don't want to see Thomas or Sherm hitting the market at the same time next season. Any chance we give either one an extension and franchise the other next year..?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think Earle will, but it's going to be next to impossible to do both players. So if I had to guess, Earle gets done before training camp once the dust settles on signing FA's and draft picks...........then Sherm either gets done next off season, or he gets franchised if we can't come to terms with him.

sutz

Reaction score
Franchising Sherm will cost mucho money!!! :bitenails:

davidonmi

Reaction score
Earl will, Sherman I'm not sure. But if not this year he will at some point

OP
OP
dopeboy206

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":272o8jyv said:
I think Earle will, but it's going to be next to impossible to do both players. So if I had to guess, Earle gets done before training camp once the dust settles on signing FA's and draft picks...........then Sherm either gets done next off season, or he gets franchised if we can't come to terms with him.

Kool. I hope you're right

kearly

Reaction score
It doesn't take much initial cap space to extend a guy, you can structure the deals however you want to fit it into the 2014 budget. It would make sense to extend those guys now. Not only do you avoid the risk of losing them in FA next year, but with NFL inflation and a rising cap it is likely that they would be pricier in 2015 than 2014, so it saves money to get a deal done now.

In exchange, the players get financial security. Earl has already earned millions so he's probably fine, but Sherman could lose a lot if he has a career altering injury next season, so there is a lot of reason for him to sign now for pennies on the dollar less.

kearly

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":e7vdrovr said:
sutz":e7vdrovr said:

So will signing him to a long term deal.

And he's worth every penny of it, IMO.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Per Bennett, Sherman was talking to him constantly about re-signing. Helped convince him to stay.

I think Sherman/Thomas are both priorities this off-season.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
kearly":3evhbcny said:
Sgt. Largent":3evhbcny said:
sutz":3evhbcny said:

My opinion as well. He, ET and RW are very special and will be the core of this team for the next 7 or so years.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1r2dzsjh said:
Per Bennett, Sherman was talking to him constantly about re-signing. Helped convince him to stay.

I think Sherman/Thomas are both priorities this off-season.
Agreed they're both core guys no way they're not here for the next 6-7 years.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kearly":mdfe0rsk said:
Sgt. Largent":mdfe0rsk said:
sutz":mdfe0rsk said:

Agreed.............and with the big cap jump over the next couple of years I think it's entirely possible to resign the big 3 (ET, Sherm and Russell) no problem.

sutz

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3281a1vo said:
sutz":3281a1vo said:

But a long term deal can be structured to alleviate some of the pain. ;)

I'm all for hanging on to these guys, too. Best at their positions in the league. Sherm because, well, he proved it. ET because it's hard to imagine another FS that has his range and strengths and would allow our D to perform as it does. So much of what we do depends on him, regardless what any stat line might say.

rideaducati

Reaction score
sutz":zkrol94p said:

Paying him the average of the top 5 contracts over the past 5 seasons will be less than the contract to make him the highest paid corner in the league. Hell, they could save money by putting the franchise tag on him two years in a row after his rookie deal is done.

kidhawk

Reaction score
What we do with Sherman and Thomas will be partially dependent on what they do with other possible free agent acquisitions. Honestly Earl is an easy extension. He's already set to make over $5 million this year. It would be easy to write up a contract favorable to Earl and the team and keep his cap number relatively the same. Sherman's will cost us more no matter how you slice it because his current number is ridiculously low. We do have the space to pull it off and we still have a few salaries that could see the cutting or restructuring block

Yxes1122

Reaction score
I expect Earl to be extended shortly after Byrd signs. I have a feeling that signing will determine his value.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I expect both to get their deals after the draft. Not as a way of getting someone else just in case, but because it'll let Schneider put more focus on them.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":k2o5ftsf said:
How in the world can anyone from this site answer this question?

That's why there's a question mark on the end of the thread title. It's an opened ended question in order to drum up speculation and garner opinion on a mutual topic of interest.