Seahawks racking up the compensatory picks for 2015

twelthmanfan

Reaction score
Seahawks are starting to rack up the compensatory picks for 2015. McDonald, OBS, Thurmond, maybe Breno, and we shall see about Golden.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
This is what good teams do. develop great players. Keep the keystones, allow others to leave - rack up picks, repeat the process. Pats have been doing it for 15 years.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":2yoiiiu4 said:
This is what good teams do. develop great players. Keep the keystones, allow others to leave - rack up picks, repeat the process. Pats have been doing it for 15 years.

And they haven't won a Super Bowl in 10.

I'm all for smart free agency, but I'd be worried if we hadn't retained Michael Bennett. Tate would be a lot easier to replace thanks to this particular draft, but MOAR PICKS isn't a panacea.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":oly38ta1 said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":oly38ta1 said:

I'm all for smart free agency, but I'd be worried if we hadn't retained Michael Bennett. Tate would be a lot easier to replace thanks to this particular draft, but MOAR PICKS isn't a panacea.

That is what I said, keep keystones (Bennett was definitely one of them).

But seriously, the ten year Super Bowl thing, borders on minor trolling. They were a David Tyree miracle from going 18-0 and were in another Super Bowl in that timeframe as well as contending every year. Point is, there is not another franchise that I would rather base my team around than the Pats since 2001 - and frankly, that is exactly what we are doing.

jhern87

Reaction score
Can someone list what picks have been assigned to which players? It will be interesting to monitor this. And they're for next years draft?

Natethegreat

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":28djm3wo said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":28djm3wo said:

I think the Pats draft philosophy isn't anywhere near what the Seahawks is, nor is Petes philosophy of playing the young guys. In fact they seem to go pick from the old free agent scrap heap more than most. Completely different philosophies.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":24r50s1x said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":24r50s1x said:

But they've been in contention for the SB pretty much that entire time, including multiple SB appearances and AFC Championship game appearances. Doing what TDOT mentioned is how you maintain that consistency. The lack of a SB win since 2004 doesn't invalidate that.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1qd5c079 said:
MontanaHawk05":1qd5c079 said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":1qd5c079 said:

I think the Pats draft philosophy isn't anywhere near what the Seahawks is, nor is Petes philosophy of playing the young guys. In fact they seem to go pick from the old free agent scrap heap more than most. Completely different philosophies.

I don't think you have followed the Pats recently. Most of their starting defense is younger than 27. Chandler Jones, Jamie Collins, Dont'a Hightower, Duron Harmon, Alfonzo Denard, Chris Jones are all young. Talib was 28. I think Ninkovich was their only defensive starter over 30. Don't mistake them for the Bears, Steelers or Ravens.

On offense, every starter has 5 or less years of experience except Brady, Mankins and Connolly.

Belicheck has always been a wizard with young talent because he has his system and coaches the players very very well within it.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":3rsc9g5g said:
Natethegreat":3rsc9g5g said:
MontanaHawk05":3rsc9g5g said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":3rsc9g5g said:

I don't think you have followed the Pats recently. Most of their starting defense is younger than 27. Chandler Jones, Jamie Collins, Dont'a Hightower, Duron Harmon, Alfonzo Denard, Chris Jones are all young. Talib was 28. I think Ninkovich was their only defensive starter over 30. Don't mistake them for the Bears, Steelers or Ravens.

On offense, every starter has 5 or less years of experience except Brady, Mankins and Connolly.

Belicheck has always been a wizard with young talent because he has his system and coaches the players very very well within it.

9 players 29 or older of players active for AFC championship.

12 Brady, Tom QB 6-4 225 36 14 Michigan
96 Carter, Andre DE 6-4 260 34 13 California
70 Mankins, Logan G 6-4 308 32 9 Fresno State
90 Sopoaga, Isaac DT 6-2 330 32 10 Hawaii
74 Svitek, Will T 6-6 310 32 8 Stanford
63 Connolly, Dan OL 6-4 305 31 8 Southeast Missouri State
3 Gostkowski, Stephen K 6-1 215 30 8 Memphis
50 Ninkovich, Rob DL 6-2 260 30 8 Purdue
88 Mulligan, Matthew TE 6-4 267 29 5 Maine

On IR
75 Wilfork, Vince DL 6-2 325 32 10 Miami (Fla.)
76 Vollmer, Sebastian T 6-8 320 29 5 Houston

Natethegreat

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":1d812pnq said:
Natethegreat":1d812pnq said:
MontanaHawk05":1d812pnq said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":1d812pnq said:

And most if not all of those guys were high draft picks not comp picks. The thread is about comp picks and Montana stated that it hadn't helped the Pats my point was that the Pats don't value the late round picks like Pete and JS do and he certainly doesn't have Petes philosophy of playing the young guys (unless they are high round picks for Bill).

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
jhern87":2c78kht5 said:
Can someone list what picks have been assigned to which players? It will be interesting to monitor this. And they're for next years draft?
Yes, comp picks for this year's FA's will be in the 2015 draft. The actual comp picks will be determined and assigned after the 2014 season (typically in March/April), based on a variety of criteria. The Hawks will not have any comp picks in the 2014 draft.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Natethegreat":pzlkernf said:
Natethegreat":pzlkernf said:

And most if not all of those guys were high draft picks not comp picks. The thread is about comp picks and Montana stated that it hadn't helped the Pats my point was that the Pats don't value the late round picks like Pete and JS do and he certainly doesn't have Petes philosophy of playing the young guys (unless they are high round picks for Bill).

Your point was that they don't play young and that they pick from the free agent scrap heap more than most. This is false. They do play young players everywhere, especially on defense; even late rounders.

They build through the draft.

And you are right, this IS about compensatory picks and the only way to get them is to let free agents go.

Montana's point was merely to state, don't let talented 28 year-olds go believe that a compensatory pick will truly compensate. He believes, with merit, that a blind youth movement following is not the way to go. we are definitely on the same page as I was only of the only people around wanting a Bennett franchise tag because I knew his great value to this defense.

In this way, Montana's point was the opposite of yours. Montana said that the Pats cling too close to the youth movement and draft picks, while not keeping some players they should have.

Moreover, my general point was to say that to can't re-sign everyone and letting certain free agents go, while keeping the lynchpins, and replacing them with young players (not necessarily compensatory picks) is the only way to build a team and it is what the Patriots have done well for almost 15 years which has been the key to their success.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
They have lately been getting younger but for a good while they were definitely picking up old free agents. They are hardly young by NFL standards either but my original point was that the Pats and Seahawks philosophies are not the same.
Pete and Bill cold not be farther apart in how they run there teams. Bill is a guy who values veterans (and yes at some point you have to get younger guys) but for the most part they are wide apart in their philosophies.
Also I just read an article that the Pats only scout 75 players in a draft. Thats 75 total! Whereas the Seahawks make the late round picks a very high priority. THIS IS MY POINT! I am simply stating that those lower round comp picks are viewed and used completely different than the Pats. They are a terrible comparison. Pete is unlike most head coaches in his willingness to go with the low round or undrafted guy and Bill is not that kind of coach AT ALL. Does he play younger guys? Of course(it would be nearly impossible not to) but most are high round draft picks.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Natethegreat":35x69jg7 said:
They have lately been getting younger but for a good while they were definitely picking up old free agents. They are hardly young by NFL standards either but my original point was that the Pats and Seahawks philosophies are not the same.
Pete and Bill cold not be farther apart in how they run there teams. Bill is a guy who values veterans (and yes at some point you have to get younger guys) but for the most part they are wide apart in their philosophies.
Also I just read an article that the Pats only scout 75 players in a draft. Thats 75 total! Whereas the Seahawks make the late round picks a very high priority. THIS IS MY POINT! I am simply stating that those lower round comp picks are viewed and used completely different than the Pats. They are a terrible comparison. Pete is unlike most head coaches in his willingness to go with the low round or undrafted guy and Bill is not that kind of coach AT ALL. Does he play younger guys? Of course(it would be nearly impossible not to) but most are high round draft picks.

Would it blow you mind to know that the New England starting defense was younger than ours this past year with an average age of 26 (compared to 26.4)? Which included 4 draft picks of the 3rd round or less (same as us). As well, their average age at the beginning of the year was only .5 year different than ours.

http://www.footballperspective.com/2013 ... -team-age/
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/09/nfl-tea ... erage-age/

The Pats also have the second most roster transactions after us in the past 4 years - and there is not really anyone else close.

Point being, the Pats, like us, turn over every leaf to find players and Belichek has no issues playing any player if it makes sense. He also tries to get as many draft picks as possible. similar to PC/JS. Both teams are in the top 5 for most draft picks in the past 4 years.

There is no argument. Belichek's approach to player personnel and team building is similar to Carroll's because it is the only one that consistently works in the NFL in the salary cap era.

Hawks46

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1kfbbmf1 said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":1kfbbmf1 said:

So you'd rather have our record over the last 10 years, or NE's ?

They don't have the same drafting and coaching philosphy, but I'd say that they have simliar general philosphies. They have also had a lot of roster churn and NE is famous for not over paying pretty much anybody. The biggest difference I can see is that Belichick spends higher draft picks on his secondary and whiffs a bit, where we spend lower draft picks on ours and hit a lot. I'm sure the Pats have more success in other areas of the draft that we don't, namely the OL.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I gotta respect the Pats. Yeah, they haven't won it in 10 years but year after year they make it deep with a crazy number of injuries and obscure players all over the place.

They have had a target on their back since 2003 and have handled it well.