More from Doug Baldwin

MVP53

Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-seahawk ... ree-agency

Overall, pretty well stated, although I don't really care for how he concludes it. Gotta be careful when you start to accuse fans of being selfish & greedy. First off, who are you addressing? I think most fans understand the business side of the NFL. I've read mostly well wishes to guys like McDonald who have gone elsewhere & assume I will read the same should Tate should he sign with another team. Second, I have to assume this is in response to something that was said about him, or a teammate on twitter or a message board somewhere. Professional athletes trying to win an argument with anonymous people online is like me trying to win an argument with my 3 year old.

Doug Baldwin is a nice player and a smart guy, and I know he likes to play with a chip on his shoulder. But, I think the commentaries about fan reaction & the league & the media are getting old. I assume I'm in the minority on that.

brettb3

Reaction score
You can choose to ignore it if it annoys you. I think he's absolutely right.

sutz

Reaction score
I don't have a lot of problem with what he said. :229031_shrug:

This week is the prime time for the business side of the sport. It's when all the big bucks get thrown around for the marquee players. I'm getting a bit better in not reacting emotionally to what players do this time of year.

On that note, just sign the tender, Doug. ;)

OP
OP
M

MVP53

Reaction score
brettb3":1l6dv41p said:
You can choose to ignore it if it annoys you. I think he's absolutely right.

So could he.

And he's absolutely right about what exactly? Some NFL fans are stupid? Yea, and water is wet.

Dtowers

Reaction score
It's all entertainment they ALL are overpaid. Pretty simple.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
What? He's right. Many fans ARE self-entitled and selfish. We (not necessarily the "we" that post here) complain when a player's production goes down and want him to get cut, but on the flip side we complain when they outperform their contracts and hold out. We love the rookie scale, but hate that players that play well after having to take a below-market contract often want to go elsewhere to get as big a deal as possible.

It's irritating.

mikeak

Reaction score
He is right as long as he says some fans. If his many fans comment at the end is to indicate most or a large group then I think he is wrong.

Most people get it

brettb3

Reaction score
That some (read: some) fans are selfish and lack perspective when it comes to the business side of the league. People always stereotype athletes as dumb jocks, but then the ones who show themselves to be smart with their own points of view are told to shut up.

mikeak

Reaction score
Dtowers":uc9ngqfd said:
It's all entertainment they ALL are overpaid. Pretty simple.

Which is irrelevant

And if they are just entertainers doesn't that even more just say go for the money? Then they truly own no loyalty as long as they are on the stage.......

Basis4day

Reaction score
Sounds a lot like the posters who were calling Bennett selfish the last few weeks.

Seaswab

Reaction score
Problem I have with this is he was complaining on twitter a few days ago about the NFL being a business and all about money, then he goes on a rant saying the players should get all they can. So it seems like he wants it both ways.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Seaswab":38sx4slo said:
Problem I have with this is he was complaining on twitter a few days ago about the NFL being a business and all about money, then he goes on a rant saying the players should get all they can. So it seems like he wants it both ways.

FO cutting players for free up cap space and in demand FA looking for good contract are two very different things.

OP
OP
M

MVP53

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3pblkgg7 said:
What? He's right. Many fans ARE self-entitled and selfish. We (not necessarily the "we" that post here) complain when a player's production goes down and want him to get cut, but on the flip side we complain when they outperform their contracts and hold out. We love the rookie scale, but hate that players that play well after having to take a below-market contract often want to go elsewhere to get as big a deal as possible.

It's irritating.

Yes, fans can sometimes get irrational when it comes to the business side of sports. You know what else is irrational though? Spending $100 on another man's jersey and standing outside in the dead of winter, screaming yourself hoarse over a sporting event.

Fan is short for fanatic. So, I'm not sure why it should surprise anyone when fans act a little emotional about this game.

Is Doug Baldwin right? Yes, but what is the point of the comments? Was I right last night when I told my daughter it was bed time? Yes, I was. But, I wasn't going to spend 20 minutes arguing with her about it.

Basis4day

Reaction score
MVP53":iifva6kb said:
Smelly McUgly":iifva6kb said:

It's irritating.

Yes, fans can sometimes get irrational when it comes to the business side of sports. You know what else is irrational though? Spending $100 on another man's jersey and standing outside in the dead of winter, screaming yourself hoarse over a sporting event.

Fan is short for fanatic. So, I'm not sure why it should surprise anyone when fans act a little emotional about this game.

Is Doug Baldwin right? Yes, but what is the point of the comments? Was I right last night when I told my daughter it was bed time? Yes, I was. But, I wasn't going to spend 20 minutes arguing with her about it.

The point of his comments is Q13 had him on to talk about it. It's not like he called a press conference. Did you expect him to say nothing on the subject when asked?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I have no problem with what DB said. I fault no player for wanting to maximizing their value. It's what everyone does or would do in their situation. Teams don't have loyalty toward players. Free Agency destroyed loyalty. If they want players to stay on their teams then get rid of FA. That won't happen because NFLPA wouldn't allow that.

OP
OP
M

MVP53

Reaction score
Basis4day":u0qab58c said:
MVP53":u0qab58c said:
Smelly McUgly":u0qab58c said:

It's irritating.

The point of his comments is Q13 had him on to talk about it. It's not like he called a press conference. Did you expect him to say nothing on the subject when asked?

It's not like it was an off the cuff answer to an interview question. It was a prepared commentary. They didn't ask him about player salaries or fan reaction. He chose to address it in a statement that was very much prepared and rehearsed.