Pass rusher market is right where JS wants it

kearly

Reaction score
Last year, we saw a lot of big name pass rushers sit on the open market for a very long time. Osi Umenyiora, John Abraham, Dwight Freeney, Shaun Phillips... they all took weeks or even months to sign with new teams, all of them for low prices. While guys like Bennett, Avril, and Kruger signed relatively quickly, once they were gone age bias reared it's ugly head and teams showed very little interest in signing over 30 pass rushers.

I think we are starting to see a slow down in 2014 as well, after most of the big names have signed big deals. Right now there are a ton of quality pass rushers nearing 30, at 30, or over 30. Jared Allen, Justin Tuck, Anthony Spencer, Shaun Phillips, Jason Hatcher, LaMarr Woodley, with guys like Jason Worilds and Cameron Wake being rumored to be on the trade block.

Now, I'm not saying all of these guys fit Seattle, or that all of them are worth inquiring into, what I am saying is that there is a lot of supply right now for the entire league, and not a ton of demand. Think about how much harder Chicago would have fought us for Bennett if they didn't have Houston to fall back to? Of this group of guys, maybe, maybe Jared Allen gets a payday, but most of the rest probably will not. And GMs will use that to leverage favorable deals.

The biggest bargains in free agency always emerge when the initial wave of FA wears off. The fact that all of these options are still around is very encouraging, and if Jared Allen is bluffing about retirement, we might be able to get a premium pass rusher for a bargain deal. I figure with a list that long, at least one of those guys is going to fit a role Seattle can create, while accepting less money and contributing.

Just don't expect it to happen tomorrow. It could take weeks, but this is the kind of situation JS wants. I don't think JS would have released Clemons today without feeling very good about this situation.

lukerguy

Reaction score
You are forgetting Will Smith- I think he'll be our LEO next year. We need someone big enough to stop the run and set the edge, while also rushing the passer. I'm going to guess 1-2 years with 5-6 APY.

chris98251

Reaction score
Pete and John have let the market spend high the first day since they have been here, we have made targetted aquisitions in Rice, Harvin and Miller, all were young and coming off years with issues or teams that had problems and basically gave them a get out of jail free card.

Once the feeding frenzy is over and players start to look at options we come in with the compete deals and you will get paid.

HawkStar22

Reaction score
You can add Peppers and Henry Melton to that list.

Isn't Melton similar to Clinton McDonald?

I know Melton has been way more productive on a worse line, playing more snaps than McDonald has. He's young too. Maybe with that knee injury a one year deal as a situational inside rusher wouldn't be so bad..

joeshaney

Reaction score
lukerguy":2y8vcpnj said:
dontbelikethat":2y8vcpnj said:
Henry Melton please.
We need a LEO- Peppers, Allen, Smith, Philips DE types.

Bennett would be a good LEO if we sign Hatcher to plug in for Big Red.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
joeshaney":g7zpcs01 said:
lukerguy":g7zpcs01 said:
dontbelikethat":g7zpcs01 said:
Henry Melton please.
We need a LEO- Peppers, Allen, Smith, Philips DE types.

Bennett would be a good LEO if we sign Hatcher to plug in for Big Red.
Bennett as the LEO? .... me thinks not enuf speed and flexibility for the LEO position.

brettb3

Reaction score
Blitzer88 said:
I'm more worried about filling needd at oline and WR now with breno and Tate gone.[/quoter]
That's what the draft is for.

enamel

Reaction score
Maybe we draft a WSLB and move Bruce back to the Leo. If we could land Melton or Hatcher our nascar package could look like this:

Irvin - Melton - Bennett - Avril

In 2012 that crowd was responsible for 32.5 sacks.

EDIT: actually we don't need to draft one. Just let Malcolm and Toomer battle it out. And maybe Scruggs can be that inside pressure guy. The more I think about it, the less I'm worried about this attrition.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
would be a little disappointing to me to FA a Clemons replacement and leave Avril to be a really expensive Bruce Irvin.

I guess if they think Avril can't hack 3 downs, they need to get someone that can.

sutz

Reaction score
Schneid is crazy like a fox. I think he's got this. :)

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1t5v84yd said:
sutz":1t5v84yd said:
Schneid is crazy like a fox. I think he's got this. :)
Correct. And FYI Allen will be a Seahawk. As will Hatcher.

Pffffffft! What state are you from again? ;)

Largent80

Reaction score
Yup, the contract offered to Ware was kneejerk by the 48-8 drubbing and IMO, very stupid of Donkeyface.

We will sit this one out until the time is right and all of this movement settles down.