Clemons signs with Jags

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
4 year contract . not sure on the numbers but good for him. I am excited to watch some Jag games next year !

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Haha, it's almost not funny what Gus is doing. Until it's hilarious. And his defense is going to be much better next year.

It also shows that the Seahawks really liked working with Gus, too.

Tical21

Reaction score
I wanted Clem to find a way to come back at a discount. I think he still has a lot left in the tank.

I disagree with the way Bradley is doing it. They're going to be quite a bit better, pretty quickly. But in a few years, most of these players aren't going to be around. Maybe they can teach the young guys, but if they want lasting success, they're going to need to find the next Red Bryant and Chris Clemons, not the old ones.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Tical21":36qtzh56 said:
I wanted Clem to find a way to come back at a discount. I think he still has a lot left in the tank.

I disagree with the way Bradley is doing it. They're going to be quite a bit better, pretty quickly. But in a few years, most of these players aren't going to be around. Maybe they can teach the young guys, but if they want lasting success, they're going to need to find the next Red Bryant and Chris Clemons, not the old ones.

The Jaguars have massive holes all over their roster, and I'd go so far as to say they're far worse off than Seattle was in 2010. They can't draft their way into plugging all the leaks - so they have to use some stopgaps - who are proven in the system - until such time as they can draft replacements.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Tical21":1h0kzchr said:

If you recall, a few years ago we were signing these guys knowing "in a few years they aren't going to be around" along with a lot of other players who have since been jettisoned (Brock, Milloy, etc.)

Seahawks4life

Reaction score
At age 32 and decline coming, Im glad this FO lets these players go and look to get younger. Its the only way we will get better at the position. Staying complacent will not bring us another super bowl, I think what Pete and John do will keep us very competitive and also young and hungry.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2cyjki8y said:
Tical21":2cyjki8y said:

The Jaguars have massive holes all over their roster, and I'd go so far as to say they're far worse off than Seattle was in 2010. They can't draft their way into plugging all the leaks - so they have to use some stopgaps - who are proven in the system - until such time as they can draft replacements.

yep. Win now, then win forever. Nothing wrong with bringing in some vets that know the system to teach the young guys. Not all that different than how Pete used Lawyer Milloy that first season to tutor what would become the LoB. Also, that is a perpetual loser franchise. It'll be great for their team culture to have a bunch of Super Bowl champs walking around teaching the new guard how to win. Hell, not just the team; the equipment managers, the grounds keepers, the receptionist. those guys come from a championship organization and I can guarantee they'll be imparting their championship ways on that entire org.

But year, it is kinda funny to watch the steady parade of old Hawks marching down to Florida. It's like a retirement community! :p

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I guess people really do move to Florida to retire.

I kid. Clem will beast it.

drdiags

Reaction score
The other thing to consider is that the Jaguars have a ton of salary cap they are required to spend over a 4 year period. Their young players aren't eligible to be extended yet, so they may as well take advantage of smart pickups of veterans that can help the culture Gus is trying to develop. I see nothing wrong with how Gus and Dave Caldwell are trying to grow their team. They just need to find a QB. I guess Henne is it for now.

drcool

Reaction score
HawkStar22":522sdxv5 said:
Wish they would have flipped us a 6th or 7th for Clem

Don't worry, I am expecting some sort of awesome conspiracy theory where we send our vets down there and they make us a super sweetheart deal for the 3rd pick where we can take Clowney or Watkins.

Honestly though, I think the Jags are getting close to being a fringe playoff team. They have a very good young secondary, now a good D-line. They need an OLB or two but Posluzny in the middle is very solid. This defense could be a top 10 or 15 D this year. Offensively the still need a couple skill position pieces but they are building a decent line. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they challenge for a wild card spot this year. 8-8 or 9-7 seems pretty realistic.

kigenzun

Reaction score
OMG!
If they get Clowney at #3, somebody like Stephon Tuitt at #37, and Bishop Sankey/Kadeem Edwards in Round 3 to team up with Toby Gerhart to get a relentless power running game going... Watch Out... they are gonna be tough this year & moving forward. Go Jags!