Am I the only one who loves the fact we have been quiet?

BamKam

Reaction score
Sure, we lost some important players from last years Super Bowl run. Tate, McDonald, and Breno are all key players and will be hard to replace. Did people really expect after winning a Super Bowl that we would be able to keep all these guys? I figured it was Bennett or Tate, McDonald or McDaniel. We win by defense, so Bennett was a no brainer (and we signed him to a GREAT contract for both parties). Would have rather had McDonald but hey that is how the biz works.

This team didn't win a Super Bowl because of Free Agency, they won because of the draft. Teams that make a lot of FA moves tend to be VERY desperate. Look at the Broncos, they are basically going all in for the next year or two by signing all these big time players (and it might not even work out... remember the "dream team" in Philly a few years ago?).

So we trust the FO all the way to a SB win and now people are questioning them? It's a bummer to see some of the players go but championship teams get players poached. This won't be the first time this is going to happen (hint we are winning more Super Bowls in the future).

We will be fine. We haven't lost a single core player (ET3, Chancellor, Sherm, RW, Beast etc.).

CANHawk

Reaction score
AMEN!

I laugh at all this talk about Denver winning the SB because they bought Ware and the whole "arms race" junk in the AFC with Revis or whatever. All I see is old people. We quietly made the biggest signing of the off season when we locked up Bennett. Everything else is just fluff.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
BamKam":29w6wfff said:
Sure, we lost some important players from last years Super Bowl run. Tate, McDonald, and Breno are all key players and will be hard to replace. Did people really expect after winning a Super Bowl that we would be able to keep all these guys? I figured it was Bennett or Tate, McDonald or McDaniel. We win by defense, so Bennett was a no brainer (and we signed him to a GREAT contract for both parties). Would have rather had McDonald but hey that is how the biz works.

This team didn't win a Super Bowl because of Free Agency, they won because of the draft. Teams that make a lot of FA moves tend to be VERY desperate. Look at the Broncos, they are basically going all in for the next year or two by signing all these big time players (and it might not even work out... remember the "dream team" in Philly a few years ago?).

So we trust the FO all the way to a SB win and now people are questioning them? It's a bummer to see some of the players go but championship teams get players poached. This won't be the first time this is going to happen (hint we are winning more Super Bowls in the future).

We will be fine. We haven't lost a single core player (ET3, Chancellor, Sherm, RW, Beast etc.).

Actually if you think about it. We went a little all in with the signing of Bennett, Avril and especially Percy last year. BUT we got a SB win from it, the losses are excused because the overall goal was achieved. Now if we didn't win the SB (or heck even make it there) and we suffered these losses in addition. It would be like hell in here.

sutz

Reaction score
I'm fine with how things have gone so far. JS&PC have been makinc hay with the way they do things so far, so I'm certainly not going to panic. Especially considering that this is the way they've done things since they've been here. It's not some new strategy. It's how they described it coming in and it's what they've done.

I think these are the same people who demand we trade up in the draft to get 'better' players. Hey, no matter where you draft, with the exception of teams that go 2-14 or so, you're going to see good players go off the board before you pick. The way the team is built now, any draft pick has an uphill battle just to make the team, and probably won't start, except in some extraordinary situations, for a year or more anyway. Hell, most of the 2013 draft is still 'waiting in the wings' waiting and fighting for a chance to step up and be the guy.

I've said it before, and others have too. We're kind of in a mode like the colleges. You just figure that 25-30% or your roster is going to turn over every year and plan accordingly. Unlike in college, though, we can identify key players and keep them long term.

I suspect we'll sign a couple of FA players. They won't be the sexy picks, but they'll come in and contribute. Or maybe they'll come in and get cut in camp. Whatever. In JS&PC I trust.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
While I'm disappointed with some of the losses (Tate, Bryant) because I grew to really like those players, in the same vein, I'm excited to see who comes in and takes their place, and who becomes the next guy everyone likes.

Anyway, to the OP point, ya, nowadays I've learned that good teams first keep their own that they really want, second, set strict parameters and values on each FA, third they don't violate those values, and fourth they wait and watch, pouncing when the value and timing is right.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
Now all the "experts" are going to look past seattle a little now when it comes to whos the best. Which keeps the players hungry to prove themselves as a team. We lost players that can be replaced. Bennett was one that would have been tough to replace cause of his skill set. Big red a little but I know pete and co are already figuring whos going to replace him. As for Tate we have Harvin.

I wish we could have kept them all but I am glad we didnt go the Denver route. In a few years that team is going to be done. I remember the days we would go out and spend money on a aging big name player who would set us back a few years with cap space. The way this team handles the cap and high priced players reminds me of NE. But we draft better.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I just heard a pin drop. And it kept reverberating. The silence was sweet.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I am good with it. The Hawks took care of one serious contributor in Bennett who really has a tremendous amount of value, especially in this point of his career.

They already put Avril in play and he is more than effective.

I just know that the Hawks are not going to dump a ton into any 2014 free agents because of how they scored last year. They need to only pepper the team with a little depth, maybe find talent at TE at 32 in the draft. WR later in draft.

I just feel like these guys probably already know what they are going to do. PC is the guy who lives by "win forever" thinking and I believe with JS that this unit will be built for sustained success. In mid season 2014 we will look back and say that they knew all along.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I LOVE IT AS WELL.

Seahawks re-signed 4 quality player perhaps fringe starters in QB Jackson, TE McCoy, OL Jeanpierre and S Johnson.

Looking at what players like Griffen/Ware/Michael Johnson and Houston got on the market, Michael Bennett's contract was pure awesome genius.

Seahawks chose the right McD Bro to keep in McDaniel. You can can coach pass-rush talent to produce but you cannot coach size. McDaniel is a beometh and a damn good player. McDonald was also a good player but I'm banking on Dan Quinn getting the best out of Michael Brooks and Jordan Hill. Two players who looked electric within their sample size of field opportunities.

I'm also in the camp that Maragos will be replaced by Shead. Shead is not only bigger, lengthier, stronger, and more explosive than Maragos, pound for pound... Shead's just as fast, if not faster and almost as quick.

Shead: 6'1, 220, 4.53 Forty, 6.76 3-Cone
Maragos: 5'11, 200, 4.49 Forty, 6.52 3-Cone

I really wanted both Tate and Giacomini back but I'm not at a loss that their gone.

On Tate: Harvin, Baldwin, Kearse, Lockette is a damn good start to WR corps and all can pick up the slack. It also allows the Seahawks to pick up a bigger WR via the draft (or moving Willson) while able to keep and re-sign Baldwin.

On Gock: I can understand why the Seahawks didn't pursue him. Age/Knee/Cost plus he's at his ceiling. Bowie, Bailey, and Hautpmann are all young and had enough potential for the Seahawks to keep all three over the course of last season. They could have re-sign Giacomini and the told them to compete for 2nd place but now with that spot open, they can really say compete, and this position is yours, that should bring out the best in all 3 players over the off-season if they truly want it enough. All being so young they have a higher ceiling than Giacomini too.

Schoefield had potential buts its not like he was a huge facet of this team last year.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
They wait the first week out for the "big fish" contracts, then go for value. If we add guys it'll be undervalued players they can afford for the year then extend Thomas and maybe Sherman, maybe even Avril.

It worked really well last year so I hope it does this year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
12th_Bob":1i04kq52 said:
They wait the first week out for the "big fish" contracts, then go for value. If we add guys it'll be undervalued players they can afford for the year then extend Thomas and maybe Sherman, maybe even Avril.

It worked really well last year so I hope it does this year.

Bingo.

Let all the desperate teams overpay, let the dust settle in a week or two and then snap up 3-4 quality FA's to fill the holes that need filling.

CANHawk

Reaction score
I have no doubt that we'll sign a free agent or three, but only after guys have floated about for a while and their values come down. And at that they'll be of the role player/journeyman/fringe talent variety. Our guys don't get into bidding wars and overpay for 30+ y/o FA's who were good 2 years ago. I so love that about them...

Tical21

Reaction score
It's all about signing Sherm and Russ. This purging was necessary. Gotta trust the ability to draft and find those 1-year bargain fillers.

sutz

Reaction score
Tical21":3fhy4an6 said:
It's all about signing Sherm and Russ. This purging was necessary. Gotta trust the ability to draft and find those 1-year bargain fillers.
I wouldn't call what has happened so far a 'purge.' It's just normal attrition. :229031_shrug:

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
I kind of feel like a stock broker watching the stock ticker. Waiting for all the suckers to clear out so we can go long and buy low!