Predictions: Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman contracts.

Xarbx425

Reaction score
Just for fun... What are your preditions on their contracts if they get extended. No need to do a year by year break down but lets do…

Years:
Total Salary:
Guarenteed:

mikeak

Reaction score
Sherman
5 years
$55 million total
$30 million guaranteed

Thomas
5 years
$48 million total
$23 million guaranteed

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Based on the current contracts given this offseason:

Sherman 9-11 million/ year - 5-6 years. 25 Million guaranteed.
Thomas- 9-10 million/ year- 6 years. 25 million guaranteed.

That's my guess.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2rp5wskd said:
volsunghawk":2rp5wskd said:
Sherman
Years: 5
Total Salary: $62 million
Guaranteed: $30 million

Thomas
Years: 6
Total Salary: $64 million
Guaranteed: $28 million

Ouch. Not that I don't think they're worth it, just that's a lot to put into 2 players. And that's not even counting the 20M per we're likely gonna have to give Russell. Looking at somewhere near $42M per for three players.

I think those numbers are high, but nevertheless, they'll never hit you for $42M all at once. If the numbers do get that high, then a lot of the money is going to be backloaded (meaning their per-year averages for Years 1-4 will be lower). For example, Kam's deal averages $7M/year over it's life, but it's really $5M/year over the first three years.

McGruff

Reaction score
volsunghawk":g4vo1qtp said:
Sherman

Thomas

This looks about right to be. 12+ million a year for Sherman puts him above Revis' recent deal. 10+ million for Thomas makes him the first ten million dollar safety. And then there is Wilson, the $20 million dollar man.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Revis signed a one year contract. Not really a good benchmark for Sherman. He would likely prefer higher guarantees, even if it meant a lower average salary.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":u71d60qk said:
volsunghawk":u71d60qk said:
Sherman

Thomas

Ouch. Not that I don't think they're worth it, just that's a lot to put into 2 players. And that's not even counting the 20M per we're likely gonna have to give Russell. Looking at somewhere near $42M per for three players.

It is a lot to put into 2 players. But I think the FO will view both guys as crucial, core players and reward them as such. With the cap projected to increase significantly each season over the next few seasons, I imagine the cap hits for these guys will be spread so that their big years hit at different times and allow for some flexibility in the future.

I also expect that the contracts will be structured to allow for future cap manipulation (by turning base salaries into bonuses, for example). And I think you'll see extensions in around year 4 of each of those deals that allow for both guys to finish the useful parts of their careers (if not their entire careers) as Seahawks.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Count me in the camp that thinks some of these numbers are pipe dreams. Given the contracts that have been signed to date, I would be extremely surprised to see Richard Sherman sign for less than $12-$13m/year. I suspect ET will sign for around $9-10m/year. Revis just got a 1-year $12m contract, and I doubt Sherman will want to be paid less than Revis. ET will want at least what (and probably more than) Byrd got this year. And I think someone will be willing to give it to them. Especially to Sherman.

The one silver lining to me of losing players like Tate and Breno that I thought we would be able to re-sign is that it frees up money to pay top dollar for Sherman and Thomas, which I think they absolutely should do (within reason).

DavidSeven

Reaction score
jkitsune":re7peols said:
Count me in the camp that thinks some of these numbers are pipe dreams. Given the contracts that have been signed to date, I would be extremely surprised to see Richard Sherman sign for less than $12-$13m/year. I suspect ET will sign for around $9-10m/year. Revis just got a 1-year $12m contract, and I doubt Sherman will want to be paid less than Revis. ET will want at least what (and probably more than) Byrd got this year. And I think someone will be willing to give it to them. Especially to Sherman.

The one silver lining to me of losing players like Tate and Breno that I thought we would be able to re-sign is that it frees up money to pay top dollar for Sherman and Thomas, which I think they absolutely should do (within reason).

Revis signed a one year contract. Not really a good benchmark for Sherman. He would likely prefer higher guarantees, even if it meant a lower average salary.

jkitsune

Reaction score
DavidSeven":20uysn96 said:
jkitsune":20uysn96 said:

Hope you're right.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Let's say the Seahawks go to Sherman and offer him the following two contracts:

A) one year/$13M -- congrats, you are the highest paid CB in the NFL!
B) five years/$55M; $29M guaranteed. Sorry, Revis still has a higher average than you.

Which one is he accepting?

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Sherman: 5yr/$57.5m, $30m Guaranteed
Thomas: 5 yr/$50m, $25m Guaranteed

Bonus Wilson: 7yr/$130m

That's a per year average of $40m. That's alot right now, but with the cap projected to be $160m in 2 years, it's only 25% or the equivalent of $30m for the 2013 season.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Earl Thomas: 6/66M, $30M guaranteed
Sherman: 4/50M, $24M guaranteed
Wilson: Half of Dubai

volsunghawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":33bmojmu said:

Revis actually signed a 2-year deal, but the 2nd year of it is an outrageous option year and the Pats certainly won't be picking it up. The 2nd year allows the Pats to spread the $10 million signing bonus over 2 seasons instead of one.

The deal included a $10 million signing bonus. Revis' Patriots contract contains a $20 milllion "option" year in 2015, consisting of a $7.5 million base salary, $12 million roster bonus due on 4/1, and $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses.

Not sure how that's going to play into Sherman's new deal.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
volsunghawk":12h2d34z said:
DavidSeven":12h2d34z said:

Revis actually signed a 2-year deal, but the 2nd year of it is an outrageous option year and the Pats certainly won't be picking it up. The 2nd year allows the Pats to spread the $10 million signing bonus over 2 seasons instead of one.

The deal included a $10 million signing bonus. Revis' Patriots contract contains a $20 milllion "option" year in 2015, consisting of a $7.5 million base salary, $12 million roster bonus due on 4/1, and $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses.

Not sure how that's going to play into Sherman's new deal.

The second year is just tacked on so New England can't franchise him. The option year might as well be $50M. It's just a random big number that forces NE to cut ties or work out a long extension. Also allows them to spread the hit as you said.

mikeak

Reaction score
^ oh that is smart as heck. Bennet should have put something like that in his deal to protect against a possible franchise tag. I knew they did it for spreading the signing bonus but never thought of the franchise tag.

As I tell my boss - every day I learn something new on the internet so let me keep surfing it while I am at work

lukerguy

Reaction score
mikeak":1gaicmh5 said:
Sherman
5 years
$55 million total
$30 million guaranteed

Thomas
5 years
$48 million total
$23 million guaranteed

Looks about right to me.

suppaball

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":1j88vk4w said:
Sherman: 5yr/$57.5m, $30m Guaranteed
Thomas: 5 yr/$50m, $25m Guaranteed

Bonus Wilson: 7yr/$130m

That's a per year average of $40m. That's alot right now, but with the cap projected to be $160m in 2 years, it's only 25% or the equivalent of $30m for the 2013 season.
I think Wilson is worth $20+ but he is smart. I see him being more like taking $16-$18 per to keep team great. Championships and still get paid.