DLine

Tylerhawk

Reaction score
so with Chris Clemons being cut and no other FA agent coming in yet what do you guys think of bringing bruce Irvin back in and have Malcom smith start at LB? I would love to see Bruce back at DE and I would also love to see Malcom get his shot at starting.

Penman96

Reaction score
We will find some new guys on the DL just like we have been doing for a few years now at other positions. We have retained all our best players from last year, and we have some great prospects

By November - the talking heads on ESPN will be asking "Where do they find these guys?" just like they did when Browner got hurt last November.

PC has Irvin penciled in at linebacker, I don't think he's moving. Getting him and Smith enough snaps to justify their contracts is going to be tricky, but it's a good problem to have.

ManBunts

Reaction score
I think Bruce stays at LB. He's still adjusting, but without the bulk to push past a big o-line, his speed is more valuable in a position where he can be brought in on a blitz or fall back into coverage.

Don't forget that while we lost Clemons, McDonald and Red, not only did we retain Bennett, we have Hill, Williams and Scruggs waiting in the wings. I believe there's some serious talent there, and they just needed time to heal up. Very excited to see what those guys can do.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Bennett, Mebane, McDaniel, and Avril make for a Top 10 front line. The sack rate should improve significantly, as Bennett and Avril receive more snaps.

Hill, Scruggs, Mayowa, Boatwright, Williams, Cherington, and Brooks will all have an opportunity to compete for playing time, along with whatever draft picks and FAs they sign.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
The young DL on the roster:

Jordan Hill (6'1, 300)- 23 year old, second year, three-technique DT. He fires off the ball and has violent hands to penetrate into the backfield. Hill is expected to develop into a possible replacement for Clinton McDonald's contributions. Was limited by torn bicep and groin injuries last season.

Greg Scruggs (6'3, 300)- 23 year old, third year, combo five-technique DE and three-technique DT. Scruggs is coming off an ACL surgery, but he is a freak athlete with long arms and ridiculous athleticism for his size. When healthy, Scruggs will compete for playing time at all four positions.

Jesse Williams (6'3, 325)- 23 year old, second year, five-technique DE. He too is coming off ACL surgery that kept him out of action in 2013. Williams possesses brute strength that makes him the most obvious replacement on the roster for Red Bryant.

Benson Mayowa (6'3, 250)- 22 year old, second-year LEO. With lightning quickness off the edge, Mayowa could help fill the void of Chris Clemons as Clff Avril moves into a starting role at weak side DE.

Kenneth Boatright (6'3, 250)- 24 year old, second-year LEO. Boatwright is an intriguing athlete who was placed on injured reserve and saw no action last season due to a shoulder injury. The Mayowa/Boatwright competition at weak side DE will be interesting to watch play out.

Dewayne Cherington (6'2, 340)- 23 year old, second year, five-technique DE or NT. Lacks quickness off the ball, but he is arguably the strongest player on the roster with 600+ bench and squat.

Michael Brooks (6'2, 300)- 23 year old, second year DL, who can play inside or out. He possesses a good combination of strength and athleticism to contribute inside, but lacks instinctual pass rushing ability. He played five-technique DE with Bryant out against the Atlanta Falcons. Brooks showed enough on the practice squad to earn a futures contract last month.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Adding Melton would give them more explosiveness inside. Bennett will probably play less inside this year with the loss of Red/Clemons. The only other player on the roster who has flashed that kind of interior pass rushing ability is Scruggs, and he tore his ACL less than a year ago.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
I am excited to see what Pete and Quinn do at the LEO.

Moving Bennett and Avril wide on the same side was a move of genius.

I don't see Bruce moving back to DE, but Smith has really stepped up his game, not just the Super Bowl.

Hopefully there is a cheap version of Clem out there.

GUH! We are spoiled

godawg

Reaction score
I wanted Melton badly last year, and I hope we can snag him on a show me deal. Letting Clem go at this time so he could get paid well was another class move by the FO that shows all the other players that we take care of our guys. We have serious talent in our farm system, so our D-Line is going to keep getting better.