Red was not asked to restructure. Makes me feel better

stang233

Reaction score
On an interview with KJR Red said he was not asked to restructure. That means Pete and john really feel like they can upgrade that position. Makes me feel a lot better about him going.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Either that or Pete and John were talking with Gus and knew he wanted to sign Red at a certain price they didn't want to come near

McGruff

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":2k8jvqyy said:
Either that or Pete and John were talking with Gus and knew he wanted to sign Red at a certain price they didn't want to come near

That doesn't explain him being cut, though.

Jville

Reaction score
McGruff":29kj0ifr said:
therealjohncarlson":29kj0ifr said:

That doesn't explain him being cut, though.

IIRC There was a $3 million dollar roster bonus scheduled for the 11th. Team cut Red before that bonus came due.

Subzero717

Reaction score
As I heard they released him so he could get a jump on FA and his roster bonus. IMO, and I am an open homer, its way classier than hanging on to guys trying to trade them when you know you will release them. Exhibit A the Carolina Panthers. Its a business and I get it. Steve Smith has been well compinsated. However, the way they handeled him is/was bush league to say the least. Especially the amount of years he ate crap on a crappy team.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I don't think it has anything to do with confidence in the position. It means they respect the individual enough to say, "We aren't going to ask you to take a pay cut when you've done everything asked of you. We just can't afford you any more, and know you will have good luck in the open market."

CANHawk

Reaction score
I have a feeling that Scruggs is going to take that 5-tech DE position to the next level. Word is that he's up around 300lbs and as I recall, he's got some crazy long arms. If he can keep up his pass rush skills with that extra poundage and stop the run, he'll be a phenom. Love Red to death, but I think Scruggs is the future in that role.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I read that Scruggs was now weighing in at 315 which would make him an interesting 5 tech if he hasn't slowed down a lot b/c of the knee injury.

Subzero717

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1sauam6x said:
I read that Scruggs was now weighing in at 315 which would make him an interesting 5 tech if he hasn't slowed down a lot b/c of the knee injury.

He probably weighs 315 due to being off a year.

Jville

Reaction score
Terrific Greg Scruggs interview here >>> [urltargetblank]http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90856[/urltargetblank]

Jville

Reaction score
stang233":2cvconrv said:
On an interview with KJR Red said he was not asked to restructure. That means Pete and john really feel like they can upgrade that position. Makes me feel a lot better about him going.
Red Bryant and Chris Clemons effectively met up in Jacksonville and restructured in Jacksonville.

There were no signing bonuses. Instead, the Jaguars used roster bonuses, per game bonuses, work out bonuses, and other incentive bonuses. Guarantees in each contract were somewhere in the $5 million area ... very ... very team friendly. Many will consider these contracts excellent models.

Red Bryant (APY: $4,750,000) contract details >>>> [urltargetblank]http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Red%20Bryant&Position=43DE&Team=Jaguars[/urltargetblank]

Chris Clemons (APY: $4,375,000) contract details >>>> [urltargetblank]http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Chris%20Clemons&Position=43DE&Team=Jaguars[/urltargetblank]

Hawks46

Reaction score
lukerguy":1wpmlw6i said:
I don't think it has anything to do with confidence in the position. It means they respect the individual enough to say, "We aren't going to ask you to take a pay cut when you've done everything asked of you. We just can't afford you any more, and know you will have good luck in the open market."

This. As fans, we all want the team to restructure guys to keep them here. Sometimes, it's worth keeping the player. Most times, it's better for the player to just get cut; they can generall get more on the open market.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
Don't forget about McDaniel. He may see his role expand like Bennett's will this year. If can play both 3 tech and 5 tech, you get more versatility on your line for cheaper. Throw Hill, Scruggs, and possibly Williams into the rotation and we should have plenty of options.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Red seems to think Bennett is taking his spot, and said he will do a great job at it.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2lcuki6j said:
jammerhawk":2lcuki6j said:

He probably weighs 315 due to being off a year.
Nope. In his interview, (noted above), Scruggs is very clear that he's been working his but off, has added muscle and has his body fat at 19% and is working to get it lower by the time team workouts begin. It also sounds like he was ready to play during the season but because he was on IR he couldn't.

I think he is going to be ready to take that position as his own this coming year.