Who will be our kicker this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Steven Hauschka had a great year (33/35 FGs and averaged 65 yards on kickoffs with 48% going for touchbacks). He is now the top free agent kicker.

The 49ers recently gave Phil Dawson a two-year deal worth over $3 million per year, but just $2 million in 2014 with the flexibility to cut him or restructure in 2015.

Would they re-sign Haushka for a similar deal? Or does his lack of accuracy beyond 50 yards make him more expendable than Dawson?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2tiwmm3x said:
Or does his lack of accuracy beyond 50 yards make him more expendable than Dawson?

He was 3/3 from beyond 50 last year.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Haushcka is worth up to $3 million a year.

I don't know if the Hawks will give him that, but he's worth up to that. That's what the top kickers are making.

He is getting better every year. Last year he added distance to his kicks. And he's automatic on FGs and extra points. With how close we play games, an elite kicker is a necessity.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
DavidSeven":xap3r83u said:
hawknation2014":xap3r83u said:
Or does his lack of accuracy beyond 50 yards make him more expendable than Dawson?

He was 3/3 from beyond 50 last year.

Good point. But he only attempted three for a reason. Dawson had twice as many attempts of 50+ yards. That classic moment in the NFC Championship Game was made possible in part because Haushka told Carroll he was not comfortable attempting the 53 yarder.

For his career, Hauschka has only made about half of his attempts from that distance.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I'd lock him up. He's a valuable commodity won us 2 games this year , I hope we offer him a multiple year deal to keep him around.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
what other teams need a kicker though? there's only room for 32 in the league, and most teams already have a guy... and if haush is the last kicker standing then it sucks for him but he'll have to come back here cheap.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Hauschka will be our kicker. It's just a matter of for how long and how much. He was arguably the best FA kicker on the market, if someone else wanted him - and wanted to pay him - it would have happened by now.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Only is the price is right will it be Haush. I think $3m is too much for a kicker. If he'll take $1, 1.5-ish like Ryan I bet they'd keep him, but for more than that I'd just rather roll over the cap space to make room for the big boys. Haush has been <$1m up until now and that's by design me thinks. I don't see kickers being a big dollar priority for this FO.

......that said, I just looked at available FA kickers, and the list ain't pretty. It's like no country for old men. So unless there's a phenom in the rough coming out of college the FO has it's eye on, maybe they DO pay Haush.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I really don't understand why people think he's inaccurate on long field goals. He was like 6 inches away from hitting a 61 yarder in Detroit a couple years ago and has been money from beyond 48.

I'd have no problem if the team announced they gave him a 4 year/$12 M deal here in the next week or so

HawkinNY

Reaction score
Can't forget he also forced us to go for it on 4th down vs SanFran. If it wasnt for him we wouldn't have scored that Kearse TD.. lol

Hawknballs

Reaction score
there are only currently two teams without a kicker on the roster, Miami and Seattle

http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/kicker/

so unless we are in a bidding war with the dolphins, or another team decides they like Haush over the kicker they already have signed this year, we shouldn't have to pay him 3M unless we want to be 'nice'.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2zf2voas said:
there are only currently two teams without a kicker on the roster, Miami and Seattle

http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/kicker/

so unless we are in a bidding war with the dolphins, or another team decides they like Haush over the kicker they already have signed this year, we shouldn't have to pay him 3M unless we want to be 'nice'.

There has been talk of the Eagles cutting their current kicker Alex Henery and targeting Hauschka.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Hawks are playing who's going to blink first with him.

I'm guessing that he'll ultimately sign for $2M/year.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
iigakusei":d8eca4sh said:
Is there a possibility we carry two kickers?

if you mean into the regular season, no.

If you mean through camp, sure..but..then no..because of Haushka is in here during camp then that means he has a deal and that means we dont' need another one.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Are they still talking about moving the extra point try back to the 20?

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
I have said my piece on Hauschka. He is an undervalued commodity that I think won a lot of games for this franchise. He needs to be re-signed and soon!

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":1t5sd77a said:
I have said my piece on Hauschka. He is an undervalued commodity that I think won a lot of games for this franchise. He needs to be re-signed and soon!
I agree.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2pi9wcxk said:
Evil_Shenanigans":2pi9wcxk said:
I agree.

I agree but that doesn't mean you overpay for him if you don't have too when you're up against the cap and have huge contracts looming.

Status
Not open for further replies.