Just some thoughts

DavidCruz24

Reaction score
As I look around free agency and see how things are shaking out I start to wonder what exactly is the plan that Schneider has right now. Not that I am doubting his abilities but man this dude is like a secret agent with his ways and I love it. They are pretty much sticking to their guns and not overpaying for anyone right now. Maybe they are comfortable with the young guys they already have but still they seem awfully quiet.

One area that I would think they would add in free agency is in the offense, either on the line or in receivers but they seem to be real quiet in that area. Now you might say that they don't want to get in a bidding war but wouldn't they be able to sign Steve Smith who got a 3.6 mill deal and Hakeem Nicks who got a 3.5 million deal. That seems to me like a contract we could work with. In fact a Steve Smith at 3.6 in my opinion would have been better than a Golden Tate at 5. With the reports that we are interested in signing back Sidney Rice I would be dissapointed if they get him to a deal close to Smith and Nicks because he is not at their level.

So that gets me to the thought that they are going to either extend Thomas or Sherman this season (maybe both). Or roll the money to next season and do it then. Maybe Schneider and Carroll realize that it is a long term benefit to have a weaker more inexperienced team this season than to add free agents that will make it harder for us to sign our guys later and therefore hurt the team in the long run. Maybe we are really going to accept the challenge of putting a weaker team out their for the opportunity at a long term gain. Now this seems contrary to the " win now" mentality that we showed last off season but realize that we were able to do what we did last off season by not hurting our long term goals. In a sense we didn't step outside our boundaries and this off season maybe we cant risk it as much.

Yea these are a lot of assumptions but maybe this was a part of the plan they've had all along to try to keep their guys. Maybe last off season was their only opportunity to put all the marbles in and still have a chance of keeping the team together and the seizing of the ultimate prize gave them the opportunity of moving on and keeping the team together with more confidence. What do ya think?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Why would Steve Smith or Hakeem Nicks come here on a low-end deal just so they can sit on the bench of a run-first team? They will have much better opportunities to produce in Baltimore and Indy. This place isn't going to be a free agent haven for wide receivers.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I think they are going for a huge risk on offense and literally trying something similar to NOLA with Finley that way they go into the draft with flexibility as usual. The guy is basically just like Graham and Gronkowski if medically cleared. And elite TE's are far less expensive and give similar results in the right offense.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
If we're getting valuable receivers, they're probably going to come off waivers, practice squads, or the draft/UDFA. We're not a WR FA hotspot after being at or near dead last in pass attempts for 2 seasons.

lsheldon

Reaction score
They have a plan, but we won't know what it is until they make the moves. Patience is the word.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I think they are going for a huge risk on offense and literally trying something similar to NOLA with Finley that way they go into the draft with flexibility as usual.

two dog

Reaction score
Yes, those are some powerful assumptions. What makes you think that it is even possible
Pete and Jon would not put the strongest team they could on the field ?

It can't have escaped your notice that the team is getting even younger. Now that is a
possible strategy that Pete might embrace. With a couple of notable exceptions, they
haven't signed many 30 something ex-stars. That's not building but running in place
because they will soon be gone.

I hope you don't think I'm being too critical. People who invest the time to think, organize
those thoughts and write them out are always deserving of respect. Wondering is always
the proper thing to do.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I have thought similarly myself. It seems they are actually going younger if that's even possible. This organization is seriously cutthroat to be honest.

OP
OP
D

DavidCruz24

Reaction score
two dog":npjk0ifc said:
Yes, those are some powerful assumptions. What makes you think that it is even possible
Pete and Jon would not put the strongest team they could on the field ?

It can't have escaped your notice that the team is getting even younger. Now that is a
possible strategy that Pete might embrace. With a couple of notable exceptions, they
haven't signed many 30 something ex-stars. That's not building but running in place
because they will soon be gone.

I hope you don't think I'm being too critical. People who invest the time to think, organize
those thoughts and write them out are always deserving of respect. Wondering is always
the proper thing to do.

Its not that their not putting the strongest team together, they are but I think they are doing it under certain parameters maybe, keeping the future in mind. This is something New England does on a regular basis. They often go into seasons with what seems a weaker team and yet they still do great. Why? because they resist the chance at excessive free agents and keep going with their core guys. Maybe that's the sort of approach that maintains the Patriots success, yea they have Tom Brady that keeps them competitive but hes not everything). Also I agree that they are wanting to get younger and this plays into what I'm trying to say. They are getting younger but you cant deny the fact that the youth will come with inexperience and therefore the team will be weaker. They are entering a transition that will warrant a drop in performance in the short term. Thanks for the reply I enjoyed it. And no your not too critical at all were all trying to figure this out together.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3b36bcb8 said:
I think they are going for a huge risk on offense and literally trying something similar to NOLA with Finley that way they go into the draft with flexibility as usual.
Girl... do have a slow internet connection cuz duplicate posts follow you around the block like a love-sick puppy dog.

sutz

Reaction score
This is what it feels like to have a basic philosophy and to stick with it. It can be frustrating to us fans watching all the other guys snatching up high profile free agents, but in the long run, I think it works. Historically, teams that have followed similar philosophies have shown an uncanny ability to stay in the playoff hunt year after year.

So, I'm cool with what has transpired this off season so far.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Since this is the "just some thoughts thread"...

Just some thoughts...

Hawk fans in general seem to be assuming that Wilson, Thomas, and Sherman at least will be re-signed/extended at any cost. Why? Sure they are bonafied "stars", but if PC&JS are really as good at finding talent as it appears, couldn't they field a more complete team without 4 or more mega-contracts? Is it inconceivable to replace one or more of them with other home-run draft picks? Just thinking outside the box here, as that's how the team was built in the first place...

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
This is why, after only 4 years of this regime, I am absolutely having not a care in the world right now about what is - or is not - transpiring to our liking in Free Agency:

I have TOTAL TRUST in this FO.

Attachments

• ccca.jpg
    ccca.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 1,202

CANHawk

Reaction score
Aros":3cde84y0 said:
This is why, after only 4 years of this regime, I am absolutely having not a care in the world right now about what is - or is not - transpiring to our liking in Free Agency:

I have TOTAL TRUST in this FO.

Yerp.

Our guys are running this thing like a college program and taking massive advantage of the rookie cap (and the ramifications on all contracts therein). With the exception of 3 or 4 pillar players and a handful of well thought of role players being retained for big dough, guys are going to cycle thorough this "program" on cheap 2 and 4 year contracts, then replaced with cheaper replacements when its time for that guy to get Paid.

We're not going to see these guys break the bank on big name FA's, and if we do its more than likely going to be retaining our own than picking up someone. Else's overpriced castoffs.

JS should be exec of the decade.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":1wh2nehy said:
MizzouHawkGal":1wh2nehy said:
Girl... do have a slow internet connection cuz duplicate posts follow you around the block like a love-sick puppy dog.
It's the site software my phone has never worked well with it and only got worse after the redo a couple years ago.

Seafan

Reaction score
There shouldn't be any surprises to anyone. They have done everything by their MO. I don't see the team getting weaker anywhere. Currently you could argue depth at WR, OL but that will be resolved by the end of May. I fully expect whomever is playing RT to be an upgrade. Harvin is an upgrade over Tate. Depth at TE has improved. DL should be improved. Avril and Bennett should start every game. Mebane and McDaniel. Compare that to last season and the line is actually better. Smith will likely start ahead of Irvin and he'll likely play more Leo this season. Mayowa, Scruggs, Williams, Hill, Brooks, Boatwright, Smith, Cherington plus anyone they draft and perhaps Melton will just make this a very comPetetive situation and very likely a better DL than last season. Shead, Simon and Auguste plus any draftees will keep the backfield loaded once again. I don't see the Hawk plan as one of regression but progression.