Absolutely love what's going on!

Appleegg1

Reaction score
I love the way this is going.

- resigned Bennett at a great price.
- resigned McDaniel at a great price.
- cut players on the obvious downside of their careers and got valuable cap relief.
- didn't resign anybody based on sentimentality. (Tate and Giacomini)
- didn't overpay anyone in the rush of signings at the beginning of free agency.
- super happy to see the guys we lost to free agency sign elsewhere for large salaries that quite frankly leave me scratching my head. I'm happy for them all and happy for their good-fortune!
- love the way they all left with great words and feelings for the city, the fans, the organization and the other team mates

I will continue to feel great if we-

- are able to sign Sidney on the cheap
- able to redo Zach miller contract and retain him
- able to add Jared Allen at a reasonable rate
- draft a beast offensive guard and big receiver.
- able to resign Earl, Sherman, and both Russell's.

I would then feel quite comfortable about our teams elite status for at least 4 or 5 more years.

kearly

Reaction score
Appreciate the positivity, I'm with you 99%.

My only disappointment is that I didn't like seeing Breno leave on the 4/18 deal he got from the Jets, one that is basically a 2/7 contract and pays him close to nothing in 2014. It would be one thing if we were ready to replace him, but if we are, we haven't seen evidence of it yet (Bowie was awful in pass pro). I would love to have Breno around on a 2/7 type deal, especially after the strides he made last season.

Losing Tate was more than sentimentality, it was a kick to the nuts and he will require the expenditure of a high pick to replace adequately because he was a very good player, much better than his counting stats that are deflated by our run-first identity. In 2012, Tate was as productive per target as Calvin Johnson was during his record breaking year. We have to make sacrifices somewhere, a lot of people predicted this after the Harvin trade last year. It sucks, but I've been preparing for this for a long time and I trust our FO with smaller WRs. I do think Detroit got a huge steal though. Book Tate for 1000+ yards and a good many TDs next season in that extreme passing offense, indoors, on turf, while living in Calvin Johnson's shadow.

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
kearly":d4oog6m9 said:
Losing Tate was more than sentimentality, it was a kick to the nuts and he will require the expenditure of a high pick to replace adequately because he was a very good player, much better than his counting stats that are deflated by our run-first identity. In 2012, Tate was as productive per target as Calvin Johnson was during his record breaking year. We have to make sacrifices somewhere, a lot of people predicted this after the Harvin trade last year. It sucks, but I've been preparing for this for a long time and I trust our FO with smaller WRs. I do think Detroit got a huge steal though. Book Tate for 1000+ yards and a good many TDs next season in that extreme passing offense, indoors, on turf, while living in Calvin Johnson's shadow.

I don't know about having to replace Tate with a high pick. Have you studied Tulane WR Ryan Grant yet? I haven't seen any discussion about him. He passes the eyeball test for me, but perhaps a more studious scout like you can find fault with him as a prospect.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I also think the loss of Tate will bite.

His deal as signed may not have structured the way we'd have liked it but it was fair, even if immediately apparently pricey. A year or so from now it will look like a very reasonable deal.

His toughness durability and ST value will be difficult to replace in one player. Besides it appeared as well the maturity issues were done with and he had become a pro. Regardless the immaturity issues weren't that severe and Top Pot actually benefitted from him liking donuts. Each season he played in Seattle he offered more and more in the passing game as he was really quite raw upon arrival and had to learn to be a WR here but he had done that and we were beginning to see his genuine potential. Some will argue he didn't separation but he made plays, and when he was on he could take over a game. I completely agree that the true value of the WRs we have here is disguised by the team's run first identity. Those 'pedestrian' WRs sure outplayed the Bronco stars even if Tate didn't have his best game that game he commanded defensive attention which allowed the others to make plays. The guys we have are better than most acknowledge and were all last season.

I'm somewhat disappointed that Tate couldn't have been kept but salary cap reality bites. It is inevitable in a capped scheme that there are only so many guys who can be paid if you want try to keep the core intact. We have lost a budding star who will blossom in Detroit and will soon all know it. I know I will miss him and miss watching his strong-handed receiving and the RAC which was notable b/c of Tate's exceptional balance.

This is the one player of all that have so far left that I have hate most regret in losing. In saying that though I totally understand the reasoning of the FO and support them. In order to 'compete forever' tactical personnel choices need to be made and this may be one of many we will see going forward that will hurt. I get it but don't like it, liked Big Red too yet got that one more as I understood Clem's departure.

It's hard to build a championship team and even harder to keep the team together. It is even hardener to pay them all they might fairly be worth.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3ucgn7b6 said:
.....His toughness durability and ST value will be difficult to replace in one player. Besides it appeared as well the maturity issues were done with and he had become a pro. Regardless the immaturity issues weren't that severe and Top Pot actually benefitted from him liking donuts. Each season he played in Seattle he offered more and more in the passing game as he was really quite raw upon arrival and had to learn to be a WR here but he had done that and we were beginning to see his genuine potential. Some will argue he didn't separation but he made plays, and when he was on he could take over a game. I completely agree that the true value of the WRs we have here is disguised by the team's run first identity. Those 'pedestrian' WRs sure outplayed the Bronco stars even if Tate didn't have his best game that game he commanded defensive attention which allowed the others to make plays. The guys we have are better than most acknowledge and were all last season.

I'm somewhat disappointed that Tate couldn't have been kept but salary cap reality bites. It is inevitable in a capped scheme that there are only so many guys who can be paid if you want try to keep the core intact. We have lost a budding star who will blossom in Detroit and will soon all know it. I know I will miss him and miss watching his strong-handed receiving and the RAC which was notable b/c of Tate's exceptional balance.

This is the one player of all that have so far left that I have hate most regret in losing. In saying that though I totally understand the reasoning of the FO and support them. In order to 'compete forever' tactical personnel choices need to be made and this may be one of many we will see going forward that will hurt. I get it but don't like it, liked Big Red too yet got that one more as I understood Clem's departure.

It's hard to build a championship team and even harder to keep the team together. It is even hardener to pay them all they might fairly be worth.

Oh stop crying already....
No not you Jammer. Me. :cry: Sniff. Sniff.

Largent80

Reaction score
I'm with the OP. Denver has spent 35 million on just 3 players, ahhhh 35 the amount of points we beat them by.

Tate took 2 years to "get it", he finally did and became a solid WR/ST player. We cannot replace that for this coming year with a draft pick.

Breno was playing solid and that one is a head scratcher.

brettb3

Reaction score
kearly":2tz0awnf said:

My only disappointment is that I didn't like seeing Breno leave on the 4/18 deal he got from the Jets, one that is basically a 2/7 contract and pays him close to nothing in 2014. It would be one thing if we were ready to replace him, but if we are, we haven't seen evidence of it yet (Bowie was awful in pass pro). I would love to have Breno around on a 2/7 type deal, especially after the strides he made last season.

I'm with you on Tate but disagree on Breno. I wouldn't have wanted him back at that price. Get someone early in thge draft and let him compete with Bowie.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Agreed with the OP! Although I'm not sure why we couldn't work out a deal to keep Breno. He was on the upswing and seemed to get his head on straight in regards to the stupid penalties. I thought we were grooming him quite nicely. Tate I can live with because there was just no way we were going to be able to match the Lions offer and by not strapping ourselves, it freed our options for other players. I loved Tate but we will survive.

blkhwk

Reaction score
I also feel okay with what is going on.

Red & Clem were no longer starters + there are a number of guys who look like they are ready to step up in those spots. Especially the 5-tech (if the defense continues to be played that way).

McDonald had one good year, after being cut in pre-season.

Giac: could be addressed through the draft, Bowie or Bailey or a FA addition. Since he essentially signed for the same contract he just had, makes you wonder how much the Front Office wanted to retain him.

Tate: does hurt, but something tells me there wasn't a real strong push on our side to keep him. Funny how of all the guys who have went somewhere else, Tate was the only one that had any "sour grapes" undertones.

Need to lock up the kicker!!!!!

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I appreciate the arguments about Breno's contract but think the team can do better and this position is comparatively deep in the draft, even if Breno's new deal may have been apparently affordable. Ultimately over the past three seasons Breno has cost the team an awful lot of lost yardage with dumb penalties. His physicality and never back down screw you 'tude on the OLine will need to be replaced but his constant penalization won't be missed.

I just don't like seeing obvious needs going into the draft and being required to replace any position rather than being able to simply pick BAP regardless of position. At OT this year there are lots of choices and our depth hasn't been too awful. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I think the team wanted to keep Tate but were only prepared to pay a certain amount and were surprised slightly by what Detroit was prepared to pay and obviously unwilling to match.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I agree 100%.
Even if we don't sign Allen, I like Will Smith at 4MM per.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I'm disappointed with a few of the players we lost, most notably, Tate, Breno and Bryant. But mostly for the sentimentality I attached to them. I think the team will find adequate replacements, but it may not be all that easy. My biggest hope is that they are able to find those not with just talent, but with the right personality to mesh with what is going on here. The chemistry and personality may be harder to replicate and achieve than that of the talent that was lost.

bigwrm

Reaction score
I absolutely agree. My one worry after winning the SB was that we'd overspend to try and keep the band together, but obviously JS and PC are too smart to do that. Look at all the players NE has let go over the years; this is how you need to operate in the salary cap era for long term competitiveness. In a few years we're still going to be competing for super bowls (along with other disciplined teams like the 49ers, unfortunately) while the Broncos are rebuilding and starting over.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
kearly":2hyv9o3y said:

Breno's deal with NY is incredibly club friendly in the 3rd year. Don't know how we couldn't match that.

Ruminator

Reaction score
With 1) the way players praised the atmosphere and mentality of the team, locker room, and VMAC the last couple years, 2) Carroll's statement that he hopes to keep the team mostly intact after SB48, 3) the FO's success in making the Seahawks a perennial SB-contending team that would seem to make the team a desirable one to be associated with even at a discount, and 4) the famous Clink home field advantage, I'll admit that my expectation since the Super Bowl was that very few players, save perhaps a couple inevitable gold-diggers, would even consider the notion of leaving this offseason.

I have since gotten on board with the rationale that in order to be in a position financially to make sure we're able to extend or re-sign the irreplaceable keystone players (RS, ET, RW, and perhaps ML), certain other players are going to have to be allowed to move on for more $ elsewhere if they so choose. Although, I sometimes wish there were maximum limits for each player's contract in addition to the salary cap. One, two, or three players accounting (or anticipated to account) for 25 to 30% of a team's payroll can take at least partial credit for the frenzied free agency musical chairs episode we just witnessed.

Oh well. Carry on, Seahawks.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Gotta agree with the op.

Tate the player absolutely made us a better team, but I guess tate the contract made us worse. He won't be easily replaced, but a healthy Percy should go a long long way toward filling the void.

plyka

Reaction score
kearly":2uceizmd said:

What craZy manipulation of stats are you looking at that says Tate is as good as Calvin Johnson during his record year?

Tate is an average WR and Detroit massively overpaid. There is a reason that the lions haven't won more than one playoff game over the last 3-4 decades.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Agree! Thanks for the positive post!

@kearly: you are crazy in love with taters man. Every thread.

hawksman53

Reaction score
Draft Brandon Coleman and 2 big offensive lineman, Sign Jared Allen and Sidney Rice cheap and we will forget about who we lost. I really want Coleman though and hope we don't take kelvin Benjamin!!

Latest posts