Do the math.

Appleegg1

Reaction score
Bravo to the front office!

Every move or non move has been spot on! Every move has been predicated on the seahawks front office decision that Earl, Sherman, Okung and RW3 must and will be resigned to future long-term contracts.

Retaining or resigning Tate, Clem, Red, Sid or Breno impossible if you want to retain the above four pillars of the franchise future.

Don't believe me?

DO THE MATH!!!!!!

NorthwestSportsFan

Reaction score
Agreed 100%. None of the players we've lost are irreplaceable, even Tate. The reality is in order to keep our core together, we'll need to depend on the draft for young, cheap players.

HAWKFaninBAMA

Reaction score
I agree 100% with my head, however my heart wanted last years team forever. Im sure most of you know what I mean, it took sooooooooooo long for is to reach the mountain top, and all of the memories I will forever have cloud my judgement. I wish all of OUR hawks the best, and send a HUGE thank you to PC and JS for making it happen. I hope we can keep BOTH of them forever.

Now that the mushy stuff is behind us, WHY HAVENT WE MADE ANY MOVES YET TO SURE UP THOSE POSITIONS? The anxiety is KILLING me :? :oops: :? :oops: :?

brimsalabim

Reaction score
you may be correct. If so I hope we at least go ahead and lock down ET. The question though is will this strategy be enough to keep us at the top while the teams around us adjust. For instance the colts got Hakim Nicks for Luck to throw to while we signed only the Price kid. On paper we will still be alright until injuries come into play.

byau

Reaction score
HAWKFaninBAMA":1efrjwfp said:
I agree 100% with my head, however my heart wanted last years team forever. Im sure most of you know what I mean

Totally know what you mean.

How could you not like Tate's different taunting? That was a chip on a shoulder for sure.

Agreed though: there are certain requisite pieces to keep and we have kept them and next year will be a big year where some people will need to get paid.

They are being very shrewd, not gambling.

McGruff

Reaction score
One game makes all the difference in fan reaction.

We lose the Superbowl and all these moves are applauded. But because we won we have an emotional attachment to these names that goes beyond their normal contribution.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Appleegg1":4df0ygvu said:
Bravo to the front office!

Every move or non move has been spot on! Every move has been predicated on the seahawks front office decision that Earl, Sherman, Okung and RW3 must and will be resigned to future long-term contracts.

Retaining or resigning Tate, Clem, Red, Sid or Breno impossible if you want to retain the above four pillars of the franchise future.

Don't believe me?

DO THE MATH!!!!!!

Absolutely the moves work when you do the math. Time will tell if they work on the field.

I'm not sure I'd say re-signing any of our lost FAs was quite impossible...Breno would not have broke the bank (where's the upgrade on a needy o-line?)...I'm not sure I see cutting Clem, then bringing in another Leo for same or more $$ (as is being speculated-if that happens). Putting aside the blue & lime green colored glasses...I guess we'll see how the FO does, as this really is uncharted territory for them...and us

JMR

Reaction score
We can debate whether not re-signing some or all of the free agents was the right call, but it's a bit much to say the math made this the only possible outcome.

I don't know the exact breakdown of Tate's contract, but it's an avg of $6 mill per year. Not exorbitant at all, especially when you consider the cap will probably increase by about $20mill over the next 2 seasons. Maybe even more. In the case of Tate, I think it was more about not wanting to sink that much $$ into the WR position when we already have a high dollar player there in Harvin and less about fear of not being able to extend some core players.

Hawks46

Reaction score
JMR":3hchozvb said:
We can debate whether not re-signing some or all of the free agents was the right call, but it's a bit much to say the math made this the only possible outcome.

I don't know the exact breakdown of Tate's contract, but it's an avg of $6 mill per year. Not exorbitant at all, especially when you consider the cap will probably increase by about $20mill over the next 2 seasons. Maybe even more. In the case of Tate, I think it was more about not wanting to sink that much $$ into the WR position when we already have a high dollar player there in Harvin and less about fear of not being able to extend some core players.

It's a philosophical difference. Most teams spend a lot more on the offensive side. Our team is spending more on the defensive side. That precludes us paying 2 premiere WRs, and 2 premier OT's. Some spots we'll have to draft, develop and churn. It's honestly the only way to do it in this era of salary cap.

OP
OP
A

Appleegg1

Reaction score
Tate, Baldwin or Kearse. Can't re-up all three. End of discussion. I love Tate as much as the next guy, and look forward to what he is gonna do in Detroit. We cannot spend 20 milllion$ on 3 sub-6 foot receivers in a run heavy offense. Especially with what the upcoming draft holds.

If and when we hit on a big possession receiver to complement our WR group....frankly speaking, look the *** out!!!

Seafan

Reaction score
Appleegg1":f1pg2jyf said:
Tate, Baldwin or Kearse. Can't re-up all three. End of discussion. I love Tate as much as the next guy, and look forward to what he is gonna do in Detroit. We cannot spend 20 milllion$ on 3 sub-6 foot receivers in a run heavy offense. Especially with what the upcoming draft holds.

If and when we hit on a big possession receiver to complement our WR group....frankly speaking, look the *** out!!!

Agreed. We need bigger targets for our franchise short QB. That's if we desire to improve the passing game. Letting Tate go, signing Matthews, and entertaining Finley and possibly Rice shows the FO understands the need.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Like I said in one of the other many identical threads to this one we've had, I'm not worried as long as we retain DangeRuss, Sherman, and Earl.