Little proven depth on D

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
What a difference an FA period makes.

With 7 defensive players gone, we might actually see a drop-off on D, especially if we suffer injuries. Our boys might also need an adjustment period to establish a new chemistry and to determine who the emotional leader is among the big guys. Mebane plays consistently well, but he's a church mouse, so a new vocal leader must emerge to replace Red. Pete's hand might finally be forced to allow more pass attempts while all of these factors sort themselves out. Not that I would mind. :mrgreen:

brimsalabim

Reaction score
More pass attempts? Ok but we have to get pass protection set after losing a starter and we still lack a #1 WR don't we? Is Russ just expected to run around and by time all next season? I mean are we going to do an about face and go into this season expecting Russell to bail out the offense and the defense?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I count 6 thus far... not 9.

Red, Clem, McDonald, Thurmond, Maragos, and Browner.

Schofield is in limbo last I heard. The Giants reneged on their offer so officially he's still a FA.

Who are the other two?

I'll add that the departures of Red, Clem and Browner (at a minimum) have been planned by Pete/John for some time now.. and Pete's offensive philosophy will not change one iota as a result of these guys no longer being on the team.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Welcome to the Pete Carroll experience. Next man up. Always compete.

Our defense has a chance to be better than last year

seahawksny

Reaction score
Hawkfan77 said:
Welcome to the Pete Carroll experience. Next man up. Always compete.

Our defense has a chance to be better than last year[/quote

Agreed.. Most of us had no idea we were going to see so much out of the players last year . malcom smith, mad max , mcdaniel etc

OP
OP
HawKnPeppa

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":x47jgmzo said:

Schofield is in limbo last I heard. The Giants reneged on their offer so officially he's still a FA.

Who are the other two?

I'll add that the departures of Red, Clem and Browner (at a minimum) have been planned by Pete/John for some time now.. and Pete's offensive philosophy will not change one iota as a result of these guys no longer being on the team.

OOP/s, I need to correct that. 9 total defensive free agents. We kept two (McDaniel and Bennett). Lost 7 (yes, I'm counting Obie because he's not a Hawk right now).

OP
OP
HawKnPeppa

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":1mfdlxqz said:

Who are the other two?

Who said anything about 'philosophy?' Backtrack to the Washington and Atlanta games in the 2013 playoffs. We passed more because we were in a hole in both of those games. We may well find ourselves playing from behind more often in 2014. And just because the losses were 'planned' doesn't mean we won't regress at any point. The 'planned losses' were a financial necessity. Do you deny that we have less proven depth? Too many here like to rest on their laurels and will be shocked and bent out of shape if the D isn't all-world again this season.

OP
OP
HawKnPeppa

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
brettb3":3l6gxjkx said:
I don't see a drop off at all.
And you probably also think we have bionic D linemen that will stay injury-free all season. :mrgreen:

Largent80

Reaction score
I am thinking we, as fans know nothing of the condition of the players that were injured last year that we drafted, and my guess is P & J are thinking they are going to contribute.

It has been said multiple times but they have proven it for 4 years.....They know how to build a team, and there is even loyalty among some of the players (Miller, Bennett) who took less money to remain. That sends a loud and clear message to every team and player out there.

brettb3

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":3exlmp1w said:
brettb3":3exlmp1w said:
I don't see a drop off at all.
And you probably also think we have bionic D linemen that will stay injury-free all season. :mrgreen:
Nah, I just think we'll fill in the depth.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Devils advocate for a second.

Last yr. sherm, browner and hurmond were our proven corners. W thurmond being an injury risk......then browner and wt3 got suspended/hurt and max and lane stepped in

Now this yr we have sherm max and lane proven

Last year mcdonald was cut prior to the season....he got resigned and the rest is history but he was cut in the preseason.

Big red cut hurts but he was a roll player at ,most last year.

Think of all our young talent that is ready to take he next step
Sherm and et are still just entering their prime
Kam,,,did take that step in the playoffs, imagine that all yr.
The entire lb crew, including mr super bowl mvp
We have cliff and bennett on the line just wait and see who steps up since opposing os are so focused on tose two.. Mayowa or hill anyone?

Sorry for typos,,,typed on ipad. Stupid touch screen

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
How many times does PC have to prove that youth and skill trumps leadership and experience?

Don't get me wrong, I think leadership and experience are important but we hear time and again the "Loss of Leadership" regarding guys leaving the team. But amazingly there is always somebody else that steps up and takes that role...it is almost like natural progression. Not worried there.

Experience makes anybody better at what they do but at some point a player maxes their potential and even starts to decline due to age. We all know muscles/joints wear and reaction times slow w/ age. (whether some of us like to admit it or not)

I always hate the lack of experience argument anyway because the only way for a young guy to gain the experience is by playing. PC just proved in the Superbowl the value of experience. A team w/ the least amount of Superbowl experience just beat the living crap out of Mr. Superbowl Experience Manning.

Personally, as much as I love Red and Clem for who they are and what they have done in the past, I can not help but wonder if giving more time for the likes of Bennett and Avril as well as getting our young redshirters involved might not actually improve our D, esp. on passing downs. Lets face it, while Red was a run stopping demon, he did lack in pass rush.

I am excited to see how this all plays out this next season.

Seafan

Reaction score
There will be a drop off only from the "unbelievable defensive health of 2013". You can't expect a unit to be as healthy as they were. As far as talent, the 2014 defense may be more talented 1 through 11 than 2013. Some folks here like Lane over Thurmond at the nickle. Is Avril a better Leo than Clem? Is Bennett a better DE than Red? Is Smith a better LB than Irvin? Is Max a better cover corner than BB? I can easily see the 2014 defense better than 2013 before injuries.

debevemos

Reaction score
I want to see Scruggs out there, from what I've seen and heard.... he could be an absolute monster.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Well, in Thurmond's case it is FAR from proven that he can even stay on the field a full season due to injuries or suspensions. I would much rather see him go and lose a little depth than have paid him $3.5 mil and risk having him miss significant playing time yet again.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Lol. Right. Let's all panic now! We lost Chris Maragos! We're totally screwed!

Seriously, have we as fans learned nothing? Who was Sherman before he came in for an injured Thurmond (who himself came in for an injured Trufant)? Who was Maxwell before he came in for an injured (Lol) Thurmond (who again came in for an injured Browner)?

If anything, we should only be concerned about losing Thurmond; because without him getting injured all the time, how will our depth guys ever get any paying time?!

:D

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Getting very thin in a few positions. We are going to need sone rookies to start this year.
I believe in comPETE but we need to add.
2 Wr's
2 Cb's
1 RT
1 DE

We could still sign FA's to fill these holes. But it's looking life this Draft class is going to be much more important than last years.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
So let's see we have ET, Kam, Sherman, Bmax, Wagner, Lane, Wright, Irvin, Smith, Bennett, Mebane, Avril, Mcdaniel. All played a significant role last year. There are probably 30 teams that would kill for that lineup. Oh and Quinn is back for year 2, Richard is still the DB coach and Carroll/Schneider are still running the best front office in the league. Yeah, color me not worried.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I see no reason for more cb unless you mean practice squad..Same on 1 less wr..The other holes will get filled by draft or undrafted fa's..We have players we never used last year also..Everything is going to be fine..