Finley

Maxman186

Reaction score
With the restructuring of Miller does that take that take Finley out of play or are we still trying to sign him?

Seaswab

Reaction score
I think we still sign him. Miller restructure shouldnt change that,

legend38

Reaction score
We already have three very good TE's on the roster. I don't see Finley working out.

Seaswab

Reaction score
You can keep 4 TE and 5 WR. Signing finley was not contingent on what happened with Miller. Two different players

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
As a traditional tight end option? Probably. Miller, McCoy, Willson and Beckum already in place.

However, I have a feeling they would use him as a Jimmy Graham type hybrid TE/WR to offer the coveted large receiver option.

joeshaney

Reaction score
Miller doesn't exclude Finley and Finley doesn't exclude Miller.

McCoy would be in some possible trouble though, maybe (but doubtfully) Willson would be too.
#compete

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
I think its p9ssible that the order in which things happened might have taken Finley out of the equation, although there is no reason they CAN'T sign him.

First we re-signed McCoy to give us a cheap TE who can do a little of everything, as insurance against Miller not reworking his contract. Then the Finley visit helped push Miller into reworking his deal. We have Cooper Helfet as a sleeper to go along with the up-and-coming Willson.

Signing finley to a non-guaranteed contract and letting him compete for a spot is certainly a possibility, but with his injury I could easily see him not make the team due to him not being enough of an upgrade for his price or due to complications from his injury.

Honestly, with what we have right now at TE I would rather us use the money on a different position or roll it over to next year for Thomas and Sherm and Wilson.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this.

I think we still sign Finley if he's physically capable. He instantly becomes the best receiving TE we have if he returns to form. He's not the best blocker, but he's willing, which can also be said about McCoy.

Here's what I'm thinking: people are saying our biggest weakness is OL, which I believe to a point. Thing is, I think as of RIGHT NOW, our weakest position on the team is actually our WR corps. If Baldwin or Harvin get hurt (historically likely) we have Kearse, Lockette, and who else again ? I know we can and probably will address this in the draft, which is deep at WR (so we aren't forced to address our biggest hole in the 1st round...which is vintage Pete and John draft M.O.), but what if we could kill 2 birds with one stone ?

Our weakest 2 positional groups are WR and OL. So, I'm thinking if we sign Finley, we keep 4 TE's on the roster. Every one of these guys is proven. So now we can run more 2 TE sets. This helps our OL in blocking, sets up the defense with releasing TE's into routes from heavy run packages, reduces WR reps for our more fragile guys, and shows a different offense than we had last year.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but this is one way we could put less stress on a part of the team that is undermanned at the moment.

seahawks187

Reaction score
carroll made revolutionary moves at CB now he's going to bring the epic 4 TE sets .. lets gooo lol

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hawks46":rhbir8zd said:
I've been thinking about this.

I think we still sign Finley if he's physically capable. He instantly becomes the best receiving TE we have if he returns to form. He's not the best blocker, but he's willing, which can also be said about McCoy.

Here's what I'm thinking: people are saying our biggest weakness is OL, which I believe to a point. Thing is, I think as of RIGHT NOW, our weakest position on the team is actually our WR corps. If Baldwin or Harvin get hurt (historically likely) we have Kearse, Lockette, and who else again ? I know we can and probably will address this in the draft, which is deep at WR (so we aren't forced to address our biggest hole in the 1st round...which is vintage Pete and John draft M.O.), but what if we could kill 2 birds with one stone ?

Our weakest 2 positional groups are WR and OL. So, I'm thinking if we sign Finley, we keep 4 TE's on the roster. Every one of these guys is proven. So now we can run more 2 TE sets. This helps our OL in blocking, sets up the defense with releasing TE's into routes from heavy run packages, reduces WR reps for our more fragile guys, and shows a different offense than we had last year.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but this is one way we could put less stress on a part of the team that is undermanned at the moment.
You're overthinking it but no worries. Pete is working on an offensive twist.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
seahawks187":b4tg0nmo said:
carroll made revolutionary moves at CB now he's going to bring the epic 4 TE sets .. lets gooo lol
I'd laugh my ass off if we rolled out a 4-TE set once in a while.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":108jt8lz said:
seahawks187":108jt8lz said:
Remember not to choke too hard it'll make Alice sad.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
don't strain our OC too much now guys. 4 WRs is taxing enough on our system.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2d011udv said:
seahawks187":2d011udv said:
Remember not to choke to hard it'll make Alice sad.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Lady Talon":1f548kx2 said:
don't strain our OC too much now guys. 4 WRs is taxing enough on our system.
giggle.jpg

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2hjpgu17 said:
Nice. Just think about what we could do if we actually passed the ball sometimes?
#1 offense, #1 defense, #1 special teams, greatest DVOA season ever, 19-0 Super Bowl champions.

...Seriously, if we keep play calling more in line with the Super Bowl rather than pretty much every other game from last season, we've got a real shot to go undefeated. Other fans lurking here, call me delusional if you want, but in all seriousness our weakest overall link in 2013 in my opinion was the predictability and blandness of our play calling on offense.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":pr9aagz1 said:
MizzouHawkGal":pr9aagz1 said:
Nice. Just think about what we could do if we actually passed the ball sometimes?
#1 offense, #1 defense, #1 special teams, greatest DVOA season ever, 19-0 Super Bowl champions.

...Seriously, if we keep play calling more in line with the Super Bowl rather than pretty much every other game from last season, we've got a real shot to go undefeated. Other fans lurking here, call me delusional if you want, but in all seriousness our weakest overall link in 2013 in my opinion was the predictability and blandness of our play calling on offense.
You got the hint? Shocked I am.