Mayowa media stuff

vin.couve12

Reaction score
In response to another thread, I think we'll still bring in other players, but an overlooked part of our DL could be Mayowa. He was kept on the final 53 all season long. At the regional combine at the VMAC he posted a 4.65 40 and a 38 inch vert. He has explosion, but more importantly he has flexibility and balance rounding the corner and is good with his hands in redirecting. In this thread, I'll post anything I can find on him.

Starting with these.

i4QKlyf0Ao3j3.gif

I6AYdyMQfr2Rt

IRC3uZVZypHNd

IbvPoBYmOasrzD

http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-brea ... n-chargers

DavidSeven

Reaction score
They cut a lot a guys ahead of him, even though they were pretty deep and healthy at D-line last year. Sean McGrath, Allen Bradford, John Lotulelei, Stephen Williams, etc. All the pre-season heroes, basically.

Says a lot imo.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3iny4gqy said:
They cut a lot a guys ahead of him, even though they were pretty deep and healthy at D-line last year. Sean McGrath, Allen Bradford, John Lotulelei, Stephen Williams, etc. All the pre-season heroes, basically.

Says a lot imo.
I realize that right now we have Avril and Irvin who play outside, presumably with Irvin having a bigger role, but it's also interesting that we're predominantly looking at FAs who will play inside.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
He dominated the pre-season games with 11 tackles, 3.5 sacks, and a forced fumble. The only reason he didn't play more at LEO during the season was because Clemons and Avril were healthy.

The coaches have studied these young players in action during practices. They know what Mayowa is capable of or they would not have cut Clemons.

They know what Scruggs and Williams are capable of or they would not have cut Bryant.

They would not have let McDonald go if they did not think Jordan Hill was capable of playing at a high level.

Pete Carroll knows what the hell he's doing.

CANHawk

Reaction score
I approve of this message.

We're not signing a bunch of over priced has been FAs because we don't fricken NEED to!!! We grow our own out here...

Throwdown

Reaction score
CANHawk":1ap2seav said:

We're not signing a bunch of over priced has been FAs because we don't fricken NEED to!!! We grow our own out here...

This... Might sound homerish of me, but I'll be sick if we signed Jared Allen because I really think Mayowa is going to be great in this system.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Throwdown":37shn7wj said:
CANHawk":37shn7wj said:

This... Might sound homerish of me, but I'll be sick if we signed Jared Allen because I really think Mayowa is going to be great in this system.

Well, I don't know how much Allen fits into that Leo role anyway. He was never fast. Granted, when you're that good at technique maybe you don't need to, but it would be an adjustment for our D. I happen to think that if Allen were signed he would be more package specific in terms of the roles that he would play.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
The other thing is that with Clem gone, we may see more 3-4 fronts with Irvin on the right side and Avril on the left where he's more productive and likes to play.

The good thing is that Pete, Quinn and Co are dynamic enough to play to the strengths of the players that we have and so that much is not a worry. If personnel warrants that we go more 3-4 than we have then so be it. If not....so be it.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
vin.couve12":dpas87ej said:
The other thing is that with Clem gone, we may see more 3-4 fronts with Irvin on the right side and Avril on the left where he's more productive and likes to play.

The good thing is that Pete, Quinn and Co are dynamic enough to play to the strengths of the players that we have and so that much is not a worry. If personnel warrants that we go more 3-4 than we have then so be it. If not....so be it.

Pete has always been a 4-3 guy. And I don't see the LB depth being any stronger than the DL.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1dzm5x61 said:
vin.couve12":1dzm5x61 said:

Pete has always been a 4-3 guy. And I don't see the LB depth being any stronger than the DL.
This last year we were a little bit of everything. The 4-3 under still being the the base, yes, but we also went 3-4 as a base at times as well. The Hawks are as dynamic of a defense as it gets. What Pete has always been, is dynamic. Well maybe not always. I think he's actually grown and learned a lot since he's come back to the pros, but the current philosophy right now is to find ways to use player's specific talents.

4-3 Under and 3-4 isn't really that far off. One is odd and the other is even, which we do both. There are times last year when we even went 2 gap at nose and strong side end and then 1 gap everywhere else in a hybrid gap responsibility I have never seen in all my life. This defense will continue to evolve and it will largely depend on personnel.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
hawknation2014":20pvo1kd said:
vin.couve12":20pvo1kd said:

Also, one thing I failed to explain is that the 4-3 Under Leo and SLB is largely the same as the 3-4 OLBs. Your weak side 3-4 OLB is going to be predominantly a rusher just like your Leo DE. Your strong side backer in both defenses lines up the same and generally has the same responsibilities as well.

I don't expect to see the 3-4 become a base or more of a base than the 4-3 Under, but I do think we'll see more of it. The difference is negligible enough.

Now, a traditional 4-3 is a completely different story.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Throwdown":254imz41 said:
CANHawk":254imz41 said:

I don't even kinda want Allen. His career peaked with "canadian tuxedo".

Lol... Canadian Tuxedo.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
CANHawk":rusju8aw said:
Throwdown":rusju8aw said:
CANHawk":rusju8aw said:

Lol... Canadian Tuxedo.
lol, alright. CAN, you elaborate?

CANHawk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":31omgzat said:
CANHawk":31omgzat said:
Throwdown":31omgzat said:
CANHawk":31omgzat said:

Lol... Canadian Tuxedo.
lol, alright. CAN, you elaborate?

Damn! I can't find the video anymore. Well, instead enjoy this video of JA talking about Mullets...

[youtube]L2r49EMRvkw[/youtube]

HansGruber

Reaction score
That was good.

Either way the Hawks go, I'm happy. We won't get him though. He wants multiple years and a big guarantee.

Yeah the Seahawks will host him but no way they offer more than 10m guaranteed on a 2yr deal. They don't have to. Especially for an old player. He's only got a couple years left and the current word is that he turned down a lot more than we'll offer. Maybe if he realizes his market is small but even then, don't see the Seahawks making a big offer. We need our cap for next year.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
I just hope Mayowa got Chris Clemons off season work out routine from him before he left and Mayowa should be fine. But Seriously Benson Mayowa is identical to Chris Clemons body type but Mayowa is a more explosive and younger player than Clemons was. also has the has direction early in his career in that Seattle wants him to be a LEO DE while Clemons was a OLB early in his career and was converted. I also like the idea of Benson Mayowa learning from a player like Michael Bennett with his tenacity and relentless effort being a big part of his game. I expect big things from Benson Mayowa in the future.