Weakest link on the team still not addressed

Anthony!

Reaction score
So anyone hearing any word how they will address the weakest link on our team, the o-line or are we just going to let Rw continue to get smashed. I have not heard of anything as of yet.

theascension

Reaction score
It's called the draft and we already have some developing players. There wasn't a whole lot on the market for O-line.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
First, even that weak link was good enough to be SB champs...

Second, the off season just started

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Of course the plan is to let Wilson get smashed. Everyone knows that you're only allowed to address the o-line within the first few days of free agency. It's a shame for the linemen who didn't get signed. And all those linemen rumored to be going at various spots in the draft is just a smokescreen, since they'll have to wait until next year in the first few free agency days again. Poor bastards.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
OL is one of the few position groups where rookies can come in and play every single snap. The ones taken in the first few rounds are usually thrown into the fire immediately. Assuming they've identified a guy or two they like in the early rounds, would it make sense to pay a vet linemen starter money? If they grab another OT before the draft, I'm guessing it'll be a depth signing at most.

Talk to me about this after the draft.

Kaiser

Reaction score
The lines' shittyness had as much to do with injuries as personnel. They have plenty of serviceable guys needing to play togther in continuity.

scakfan

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3uc9q9jv said:
OL is one of the few position groups where rookies can come in and play every single snap. The ones taken in the first few rounds are usually thrown into the fire immediately. Assuming they've identified a guy or two they like in the early rounds, would it make sense to pay a vet linemen starter money? If they grab another OT before the draft, I'm guessing it'll be a depth signing at most.

Talk to me about this after the draft.

Yes but I keep hearing that learning the zone blocking scheme is not a walk in the park and takes time to pick up.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1l3y4yjg said:
Of course the plan is to let Wilson get smashed. Everyone knows that you're only allowed to address the o-line within the first few days of free agency. It's a shame for the linemen who didn't get signed. And all those linemen rumored to be going at various spots in the draft is just a smokescreen, since they'll have to wait until next year in the first few free agency days again. Poor bastards.

Forget the sarcasm button? Funny reply though.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The team no doubt has a plan to deal with the OLine and I like the reality they are looking to draft or waiting in FA for the market to settle down in FA.

I don't like many of the OLinemen in FA anyway. The price for a quality Olineman in the draft fits the long term plan better.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
What OL would you have signed?

Are you going to say the same thing if we don't draft an OL in R1?

Or would you prefer to overpay and/or overdraft an unworthy OL, just to say you addressed the OL?

Availability is kind of a key thing here. Pretty much being glossed over.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Many fans expressed similar concerns going into last season as it wasn't felt that LB was addressed. LB turned out to be one of our greatest strengths last season.

I'm hoping OL will turn out the same.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
1. Okung and Unger need to stay healthy and play up to their sub-elite talent. Both having down years, I would assume they'll bounce back in 2014 or they might not be here for the long term if the team feels they are becoming damaged goods.

2. Its easy to sleep on Carpenter and Sweezy and claim how horrible they are but I wouldn't.

Carp for the first time in his career as a pro can workout and condition over the off-season. If he can whittle his weight down to a healthy 315-320, he's going to be a monster entering his contract season. Does he work hard to earn starting money or does he linger and becomes a journeyman making back-up money?

Sweezy, is entering his 3rd year, and considering his process of development from where he came from as a rookie, I would ask you to take everything you feel about him and throw it out the door. Treat his first 2 years as an Offensive Lineman in the NFL like it was his 3-4 years playing in college, and now in his 3rd season is really like his true rookie season as an O-lineman. The guy has all the athleticism in the world to be special but its experience that's been holding him back.

As for Right Tackle. I also wouldn't sleep on Michael Bowie, Alvin Bailey, and Caylin Hauptmann all being thrown into the fires of competition and letting the best man win. Cable may not be the best O-Line coach in the NFL nor even great at identifying talent but the one thing he does do his take the talent he does have and slowly maximizes it while forging through toughness.

If you asked me were pretty well-off as long as our best players remain healthy and the younger players continue to develop. But you could literally say that statement about any position group in any sport.

I would contend that were a little thin at Guard w/o McQuistan but Jeanpierre, Bailey, and Bowie are all versatile.

It wouldn't surprise me though if the Seahawks signed a cheap, vet or two to "compete" like Lutui and Barron did in 2012 aka veteran "camp fodder".

Then draft/sign as udfa another 3-4 O-Lineman like 2013 except this time they won't be pulling the triggers in the 7th round but in the early rounds.

The more competion the better, keep all these guys on their toes and hungry for opportunity.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
It is pretty early for anyone to be stating positions haven't been addressed. Preseason, that seems appropriate.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":kr2zc77n said:
volsunghawk":kr2zc77n said:

Forget the sarcasm button? Funny reply though.

I don't use the sarcasm button. Now, maybe if there was a satire button...

tom sawyer

Reaction score
I thought our weakest link on the team was "careless avoidable penalties".

Okay, okay.

The OL does need to be more focused and committed. I think them more we have RW speed, Harvin, Lynch and a couple WR who can get open fast will take a lot of pressure!.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Anthony!":3p3iwpv3 said:
So anyone hearing any word how they will address the weakest link on our team, the o-line or are we just going to let Rw continue to get smashed. I have not heard of anything as of yet.

You act like free agency is over and the draft has already happened.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
We also picked up Greg Van Roten from Green Bay which is were we picked up Breno as well. I'm sure he'll be in the mix for starting left guard.