HAPPY ST. PATRICKS DAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Radish

Reaction score
Today be the day for the wearing of the green.

This Irish family says we hope the road rises up to meet you, the sun shines softly on your face.

:th2thumbs:

HawksSoc

Reaction score
Irish person checking in to wish ye all a happy Patrick's Day :thirishdrinkers: Didn't know you had Irish family Radish, whereabouts they from?

OP
OP
The Radish

The Radish

Reaction score
HawksSoc":1bna365z said:
Irish person checking in to wish ye all a happy Patrick's Day :thirishdrinkers: Didn't know you had Irish family Radish, whereabouts they from?

Our family name is Norton, which is supposedly one of the family names of the 5 familys that settled the country we now call Ireland. Even have our own coat of arms tho I haven't seen it in years.

And we must remember those people were mostly from English prisons.

HawksSoc

Reaction score
The Radish":2bsj5i43 said:
HawksSoc":2bsj5i43 said:

Our family name is Norton, which is supposedly one of the family names of the 5 familys that settled the country we now call Ireland. Even have our own coat of arms tho I haven't seen it in years.

And we must remember those people were mostly from English prisons.

I believe the name Norton comes from Naughton, which comes from the Irish name O Neachtain which means descendant of Nechtan :) Though Ireland definitely wasn't settled by English prisoners, we have our own separate ancestry, in fact some of the earliest known interaction between the islands of Ireland and England (not the countries as we know them today of course, just the land masses) was of Irish raiding of Britain in the fourth and fifth centuries, which is quite ironic considering how things went down much later. Woo, go go history degrees :D

How is everyone celebrating the festival of St Patrick today? :)

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
1898236_10201747404710768_435443557_n.jpg
:thirishdrinkers:

MysterMatt

Reaction score
This isn't SEAHAWKS related, so why is it allowed in this forum? For that matter, why hasn't Roland posted a link to the rules? Mods? Oh, wait...

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Studying in dublin and enjoying the hell out of paddys day with a bunch of crazy Irishmen. It's frickin awesome to say the least.

Happy paddys day eveyone

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
MysterMatt":3ti4xq87 said:
This isn't SEAHAWKS related, so why is it allowed in this forum? For that matter, why hasn't Roland posted a link to the rules? Mods? Oh, wait...
Here's the leg-humping MysterMatt I knew and loved for so long! Welcome back, honeybunch.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Wonder where the history of Oconnell works into it. I have seen the deer in the coats of arms for the family.

Atradees

Reaction score
Ummm. I was thinking Obrian Schefield was A nice Irish name. I have begun drinking in ernest.

Rocket

Reaction score
Once upon a time I spent the St. Patties evening with a dozen folks I hardly knew in a little Mass. hamlet with a two block town party. $20 for all you can eat in a dozen places plus a drink at every bar. There were a lot of bars. I was there for training, it was Wednesday.
Good GOD I felt horrible the next day.
I was told by many that I had a great time.

Atradees

Reaction score
Rocket":18ntiom1 said:
Once upon a time I spent the St. Patties evening with a dozen folks I hardly knew in a little Mass. hamlet with a two block town party. $20 for all you can eat in a dozen places plus a drink at every bar. There were a lot of bars. I was there for training, it was Wednesday.
Good GOD I felt horrible the next day.
I was told by many that I had a great time.

I liken that to:

"Man, you were killing at pool!"

"You were very sexy that night"

I dont remember.....somehow I must agree..

HawksSoc

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":193tfupo said:
Wonder where the history of Oconnell works into it. I have seen the deer in the coats of arms for the family.

O'Connell, means descendant of Conal :) Ireland's most famouse O'Connell is Irish politician of the 17 and 1800's Daniel O'Connell. He campaigned for Catholics to have the right to sit at the British Parliament at Westminster (and wider equality for Catholics in general). He also tried (unsuccessfully) to repeal The Act of Union, passed in 1801 which merged Britain and Ireland, through mass demonstrations which often numbered in the hundreds of thousands.

Also, Dublin's main street is called O'Connell street.

O%E2%80%99Connell-Street.jpg

This is the centre of O'Connell street, pictured is the Millennium Spire, which is 121 meters tall, and the General Post Office, the headquarters of the Irish Post Office and a key sight of the 1916 Rebellion, termed the Easter Rising. You see those pillars in front? If you stand near them you can still see the bullet holes from the fighting of said rebellion (often termed the victorious failure, as despite the rebels being heavily defeated, it represented a key change in public opinion, toward more people wanting an independent Ireland.

Another of O'Connell street's attractions is the Savoy Cinema, Ireland's oldest cinema, opened in 1929.

SAVOY-CINEMA_McCabe-Design_2.png

History drawl over :)

Status
Not open for further replies.